PDA

View Full Version : Data point on Shimano XTR M9100 microspline boost hubs

EB
05-04-2020, 10:40 AM
I had these hubs serviced after about 1660 miles of XC riding in the Bay Area - originally purchased new with a custom 29er wheelset, front and rear.

As a point of comparison, I have found in the past that I go through bearings on boutique hubs quickly. Chris Kings were particularly bad, and I've sworn off them for the most part (pretty colors though!). White Industries are marginally better.

After cleaning and servicing the cup and cone system on the Shimanos, bearings are essentially "as new" and the hubs are performing as they were the day I got the wheels. I'm very impressed.

John H.
05-04-2020, 11:23 AM
I like Shimano hubs but I wash my bike way too often for cup and cone hubs to be good for me.
I have had so-so luck with stock DT, but excellent luck with Enduro XD15 bearings- they stand up to a lot of washing and stay super smooth.
I also run XD15 bottom brackets- Some are 2 years old with no maintenance.

EB
05-04-2020, 11:57 AM
FWIW I also wash this bike pretty regularly, without causing any issues for the cope and cone bearings (it would seem). They also had one season of winter riding that included regular dunks in mud and creek crossings.