PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there handy with carbon?? Have an interesting project...

inthegutter
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Well I decided I need to take the plunge into SRM world. Besides the hefty price tag, I do have one interesting hurdle to clear.

I am required to run campagnolo parts, but got a go ahead to run an SRM crank as long as it looks (even somewhat) like campy. I know the logical thing to do would be get the standard professional or the FSA version. I'd rather have an external BB and rather not have my crank arms fall off. This leaves me with the dura ace model.

I basically need a durable carbon cosmetic wrap on the dura-ace crank arms.
Anybody have any ideas on where I could get this done and how much I should be looking at spending for a quality job?

Here is Jens' Dura-Ace srm re-wrapped as a FSA.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=4752

Louis
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't a PowerTap be less trouble?

inthegutter
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
no :)

Kevan
01-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Calfee, but this project sounds extremely expensive. I mean... for what you get in return.

inGobwetrust
01-19-2007, 07:25 AM
You can get sheets of decals that look like a carbon weave.

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Bingo, what InGob said is EXACTLY my thought. You can paint the arms first to match the decals...than apply.
PS - It will look really heinous.

swoop
01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
csc rides dura ace.. those are from shimano. they are supposed to ride fsa cranks, hence the sticker.
frankly, just use the fsa or the srm ones. i doubt at your level of sponsorship that campy will care... i rode campy on a small shimano sponsored team for a year and no one ever noticed.

atmo.

Spicoli
01-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Just "Paint it black" and throw a carbon chainstay protector down the arms? It's gonna look like poo anyway you look at it. Unless you devote some serious time and or cash, and even if it comes out nice you'll just wear it off anyhoo?

Jens's SRM-If I was a bike part I think being his cranks would be a very tough life? What a HAMMER!

catulle
01-19-2007, 08:21 AM

ergott
01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Clearly your mind is made up on your options, but I must say that the SRM Pro with a Campy left arm is the way to go. Don't believe all the hype about square taper being so inferior that you will be slow because of it. Look at how many track sprinters use good old square taper at World Cup level which is about the most watts a crank will see. Consider a Phil Wood steel bottom bracket.

That said, if you simply powder coat the DA arms black they will look as close to Campy as the weave will on the road. I doubt many do-it-yourselfers have the resources to do the project you have in mind. If they are good enough to get satisfactory results, they will probably charge a very high amount (as they should).

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Good call Eric. Powdercoat . Yep. It will look alot less like poo.

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I emailed calfee and they said they can do it for $300...
Seems reasonable enough if I don't end up finding anyone else to do it. I'm sure it will come out perfect as well.
Anybody know any similar carbon builders that do small repair work that may be able to do this? Maybe I'll have a chance to price it out.

The sticker idea crossed my mind, but figured that it would look too awful to start with and even worse with time.

@swoop
Thanks for making (incorrect) assumptions about my level of sponsorship though... very helpful. :rolleyes:

Kevan
01-19-2007, 10:12 AM
in Taiwan, I think you'll have a hard time beating the $300. I guess my next move would be to visit the ads in the back of the cycling mags and contact the other CF builders and see what they have to say.

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I take it back, you are serious about this looking trick aren't you?
Taking pride in your kit is not a bad thing sir....I just thought you were over the top with this deal. Keep us updated, it will be a one off SRM fer sher.

David Kirk
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I agree.......powder it black and it will actually look good.

Dave

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
How much do you guys think a powder coat would be?

David Kirk
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Hard to say..........if I had to guess I'd say $25. Open you phone book and see who does it in your area and go visit them with parts in hand. It's important to tell who ever is doing the work what you don't want to be powdered. leave it up to most shops and the entire thing, axle and all will be black.

Dave

saab2000
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Spectrum Powdercoating are cycling-specific and real artists as far as I know. I think they are as good as good gets and may be even able to powdercoat some kind of faux-carbon look onto it.

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 11:05 AM
. I'd rather have an external BB and rather not have my crank arms fall off. T

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=4752

Why would your crank arms fall off?

Justin

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I have heard lots of reports of the FSA crank arms, especially the left, being perpetually loose, problems with some sort of plastic washer in the BB, problems with pedal inserts coming out, problems with the BB itself not running smoothly, and most dramatically, crank arms falling off.

Paying $3k+ is one thing, paying $3K+ for something that I've heard so many bad reports of is different.

Powder coat is a lot cheaper than I expected... hmmmm :cool:

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I have heard lots of reports of the FSA crank arms, especially the left, being perpetually loose, problems with some sort of plastic washer in the BB, problems with pedal inserts coming out, problems with the BB itself not running smoothly, and most dramatically, crank arms falling off.

Paying $3k+ is one thing, paying $3K+ for something that I've heard so many bad reports of is different.

So why again don't you want to get the SRM Pro or Amateur?

Justin

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
The dura-ace is a little lighter and has 8 strain gauges instead of 4 but mainly-
as proven and straightforward as the square taper is (I have one now), I'd rather not buy a piece of equipment that isn't being made by anyone anymore. I feel like the dura-ace as a system is a better engineered piece of equipment. It's something I feel more secure in spending a large amount of money on.

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I have to agree with the man however it has nothing to do with the BB. The new crank arm config. vs the old SRM Pro is superior. Come on...little torx bits vs none?

SoCalSteve
01-19-2007, 01:19 PM

I've had this problem with FSA cranks in the past PITA! I'd never own one again. Dura Ace all the way!

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I've had this problem with FSA cranks in the past PITA! I'd never own one again. Dura Ace all the way!

:D

Grant McLean
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
@swoop
Thanks for making (incorrect) assumptions about my level of sponsorship though... very helpful. :rolleyes:

Well, gosh, you don't have a mechanic to deal with this for you,
how great can it be... :rolleyes:

g

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
imho forget the gay-vague carbon wrap. just throw some Campy stickers over the Shimano one's and forget about it. you won't be fooling anyone anyways... might as well make it easy on yourself.

Justin

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, gosh, you don't have a mechanic to deal with this for you,
how great can it be... :rolleyes:

g

Is everybody an a**hole on this board or what?

This is a pretty unbelievably rude statement. Way to support the sport.

swoop
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
imho forget the gay-vague carbon wrap. just throw some Campy stickers over the Shimano one's and forget about it. you won't be fooling anyone anyways... might as well make it easy on yourself.

Justin
+1

edit.... we're all friends here.. so if you're feeling on the out.. maybe you're the hole. if you have a question .. and somehow only expect the answer you have in mind.. you've come to the wrong place.

i rode fsa for years.. including prototypes and never had issue. some protos broke but they weren't supposed to last. never in three years did any loosen or come apart.. but i keep my stuff running smoothly.

if you are campy sponsored.. the the thing to do is run the srm crank. end of story. campy is sick of fsa cranks mixed with their gruppos, dura ace painted any color is still dura ace and if you're gonna accept sponsorship you gotta play the game, this i know very well.... i've been the most sponsored hack non elite rider in the country... i know the game. i'm just a normal old dude but i've gotten free bikes, free travel, free kits for years running.... i understand what the companies want from a rider (and you're kidding yourself if you think it's results cuz only one dude wins the race)

if you think making your own carbon durace thing is the way to go... you're waisting time, money and still not flying the campy or the srm colors.

now.. don't call any of us a-holes. no one made you post a question and we do all enjoy each others company. i'd love to enjoy yours so be nice.... all are welcome into the family.

so, the most genuine answer i have to your question is this.. if you must run campy and want to be a company man... which is why you have campy to run.. use srm. when you win a bunch of nrc races and then do some damage in europe .. then you can roll like the big boys and swap out bits. understanding the sponsors needs is what being sponsored is about.

atmo. hope that helps.. would love to see the solution you come up with. its a great problem to have. fsa wont fall apart if installed and maintained properly... but try and not mix with campy this year.

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 03:04 PM

this guy is gayer than gay imho.

Maybe... Obtuse what do you think?

Big Dan
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Too many people drinking too much Kool Aid.......... :p

Kevan
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
it's Friday and very few have gotten a chance to ride during the week but in their basements or a spin studio. Add to that... three quarters of the country (and probably more so for our fine neighbor up north) is buried under snow and ice with no chance of riding this weekend.

I think we're allowed to be jerks. I'm going home and kicking my dogs.

mike p
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Actually your statement was waaaay ruder.

Mike

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
actually, you are wrong.

I wasn't looking for a course on sponsorship ethics nor other ideas for a powermeter. (Your ideas on both I don't agree with at all anyways)
All I was asking was if anybody knew a company that would take on this project.

I'll take my questions away from this holier-than-thou, armchair racer forum in the future. :rolleyes:

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
actually, you are wrong.

I wasn't looking for a course on sponsorship ethics nor other ideas for a powermeter. (Your ideas on both I don't agree with at all anyways)

I'll take my questions away from this holier-than-thou, armchair racer forum in the future. :rolleyes:

I sure hope you can pedal a bike fast cuz if not you are poised for a very brief stint in the Elite/Pro ranks.

Good Luck,
Justin

Archibald
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51322&stc=1&d=1106191743
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=17876&stc=1

swoop
duuuuude. weight weenies has some guys that do nice carbon bits. the easy answer is go to your local boat builder.. someone that does racing boats. they have the know how and the experience to not make it look like a freakshow.... calfee for 300 is a deal.

come back any time... we tend to like each other's company. um... my ideas about sponsorship are doing me just fine.... and i'm always happy to share.

i love hooking guys up here.. could of got you a smoking deal on srm. oh well...

Big Dan
If you don't ride around on a Pegoretti with Campy you are not kool...... :cool:
I'm not kool.........

Archibald
01-19-2007, 04:06 PM
actually, you are wrong.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51320&stc=1&d=1106191556

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
If you don't ride around on a Pegoretti with Campy you are not kool...... :cool:
I'm not kool.........

Kool is the new cool imho.

Justin

Big Dan
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Kool is the new cool imho.

Justin

Got your new race bike already?

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51320&stc=1&d=1106191556

Hey Archi,

Nice frames. On those posters.

Justin

fstrthnu
01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Got your new race bike already?

Still waiting...

I will post pics of all the swag when it comes.

The stuff is cool. Not KOOL. But cool.

Justin

obtuse
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
this guy is gayer than gay imho.

Maybe... Obtuse what do you think?

yes. only one jerk though.

obtuse

in the gutter-
if campy really wants you to ride their cranks, they want you to ride their cranks. covering a dura-ace srm with some garbage hong-kong racing honda civic carbon fiber garbage is not going to endear you to anyone. it's ok to admit you want an srm that looks like its carbon so you can be stylish like jens voigt but it shows a lack of taste and a gross misunderstanding of style. i suggest growing a mullet and overdoing it on the cortisone if you really want to be euro-pro though. what this planet needs is the next euvgeni berzin imho bro.

obtuse

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I sure hope you can pedal a bike fast cuz if not you are poised for a very brief stint in the Elite/Pro ranks.

Good Luck,
Justin

You're right. From here on out my advice should be unsolicited and based on assumtions and I should only be rude when unprovoked.

Not only that, but maybe I'll fit in here with the cool guys on the Serotta forum...I won't hold my breath though.

Hysbrian
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
i suggest growing a mullet and overdoing it on the cortisone if you really want to be euro-pro though. what this planet needs is the next euvgeni berzin imho bro.
obtuse

Yeah a mullet would be much cheaper than doing all that carbon wrap stuff too. Also IMO if this really mattered to campy, YOU wouldn't be asking about it a forum. So you should just ride the cranks and no one will care.

inthegutter
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah a mullet would be much cheaper than doing all that carbon wrap stuff too. Also IMO if this really mattered to campy, YOU wouldn't be asking about it a forum. So you should just ride the cranks and no one will care.

I'm sure I'm not going to recieve a call from Campy complaining. What I'm concerned with is my team management who already expressed that I could do it, as long as I'm not riding around on a huge honking dura-ace looking crank.

I know my own situation and I know what I can and can not get away with. $300 to have something not look like garbage isn't really a big deal. I thought that with a $7,000 frameset being only a few clicks away from this page that people wouldn't find this such a big deal.

Archibald
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm sure I'm not going to recieve a call from Campy complaining. What I'm concerned with is my team management who already expressed that I could do it, as long as I'm not riding around on a huge honking dura-ace looking crank.

I know my own situation and I know what I can and can not get away with. $300 to have something not look like garbage isn't really a big deal. I thought that with a $7,000 frameset being only a few clicks away from this page that people wouldn't find this such a big deal.
Chill Win-stone or you'll soon be too fat to ride.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/yoda.jpg