PDA

View Full Version : Better shifter cables

rpm
05-02-2020, 05:27 PM
I have a bike equipped with 10 spd Tiagra. The group is quite functional, but the shifting requires more effort that Ultegra. I'm wondering if replacing the cables with high end Shimano or Jagwire cables might improve the shifting.

mktng
05-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Requires more effort how?

After I changed cables on a 4700 Tiagra bike I owned. Felt the same. Felt Tiagra-y.

Unless something is wrong such as frayed cables or something causing unnecessary drag. Doubt anything will make it feel noticeably better.

Gummee
05-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Start with regular Shimano cables and SP41 housing

M

carpediemracing
05-02-2020, 11:00 PM
If the shifting feels worse you probably have a frayed cable, maybe a kinked housing, etc. This is assuming all the components are in decent condition.

The one mechanical upgrade I found that works well for cable shifters is to use a compressionless housing (I use Nokon) and thin cables. Segmented housing - it's pieces of aluminum tube basically, with curved flanges, uses a liner for the cable.

The trick for me is to use the narrow cables, I think they're 1.1mm? Whatever the narrower one is for derailleurs. I think the thicker ones are 1.2mm? Also get the kind where the outside of the cable is machined smooth.

I've been using them on my bikes since something like 2005 or something. When I first tried an electric shifting bike the rear der felt just like a Nokon bike. The front derailleur was a different story.

When I helped a friend redo his bike, we put Nokons on. I was having him do everything, I was directing front the front of the bike, in a sort of dim basement. When I went to check the rear derailleur (before putting the wheel on), I clicked the shifter. I realized he'd forgotten to put in the cable so I asked him. He moved aside and showed me how he'd clamped the cable per my instructions. There was so little friction I thought I was dry shifting the shifter.

If you do this then use White Lightning for lubricant, not a sticky heavy grease/oil. Use the full liner - cover the cable, even where it's exposed normally, to seal in the lubricant. You should get hundreds if not thousands of hours of shifting. I generally redo my cables every 5-8 years, something like that, when I change shifters or something. I don't remember the last time I actually replaced a worn cable.

dave thompson
05-02-2020, 11:47 PM
...snipped....
The trick for me is to use the narrow cables, I think they're 1.1mm? Whatever the narrower one is for derailleurs. I think the thicker ones are 1.2mm? Also get the kind where the outside of the cable is machined smooth...Snip....
SRAM shift cables are 1.1mm.

purplecu22
05-03-2020, 03:06 AM
shimano has the DA coated cables. Its how they get good shifting out of 11 speed. it looks brown and is a teflon coating.

jagwire makes highly polished cables. They claim the teflon coating rubs off which it does.

Make sure you cable housing when cut has no fiction at the cut parts and some ferrules has seals and this causes drag. I test every thing i cut for resistance before i install it. Basically the cable should be able to "fall right through it" If i use a lube its a dry teflon. The wrong grease gets sticky.

Just my 3 cents on how i cable a bike.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2020, 06:14 AM
I have a bike equipped with 10 spd Tiagra. The group is quite functional, but the shifting requires more effort that Ultegra. I'm wondering if replacing the cables with high end Shimano or Jagwire cables might improve the shifting.

Jagwire slick stainless and 5mm der housing at levers and at rear der and metal ferrules..BUT, lower end shimano shifters DO require more effort to shift.

Mikej
05-03-2020, 07:13 AM
Jagwire slick stainless and 5mm der housing at levers and at rear der and metal ferrules..BUT, lower end shimano shifters DO require more effort to shift.

SP41 is 4mm.

MikeD
05-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Beware that 5 mm shifter housing may not fit the cable stops (like on my son's Trek Madone).

Gummee
05-03-2020, 09:53 AM
shimano has the DA coated cables. Its how they get good shifting out of 11 speed. it looks brown and is a teflon coating.

jagwire makes highly polished cables. They claim the teflon coating rubs off which it does.

Make sure you cable housing when cut has no fiction at the cut parts and some ferrules has seals and this causes drag. I test every thing i cut for resistance before i install it. Basically the cable should be able to "fall right through it" If i use a lube its a dry teflon. The wrong grease gets sticky.

Just my 3 cents on how i cable a bike.

Stay away from the brown coated cables. The outer stuff frays off and jams your cables.

Optislick or the new new D/A cables are much better.

I really like the Jagwire Pro or Elite polished cables too, but prefer Optislick when I can get it

M

Tony
05-03-2020, 10:07 AM
This cables works great.

https://bikecloset.com/product/kit-cables-gaines-derailleurs-noir-optislik/

djg21
05-03-2020, 11:04 AM
I always found the Yokozuna cables to drastically improve shifting and braking. The other cables I loved are no longer made — the Goretex Ride-on sealed shifter cables. I actually have a new set of these still in a sealed box that I salted away, I switched to eTap and won’t ever use these. $50 shipped and they’re yours.