PDA

View Full Version : Gear Skipping: Frame or Something Else?

cgates66
05-02-2020, 01:47 PM
I'm a recreational rider, but reasonably strong / heavy (210#) and enjoy the occasional sprint. I've been riding a titanium frame (Lynskey R480), which I very much like in all respects with one possible exception. When starting from a low speed in a high gear (say 53/14), it seems that the gear will skip.

The bike shifts well, runs quietly (finally - thank you for suggestions forum) etc. otherwise. I'm running Ultegra 8020.

I have read here and elsewhere that with 11-speed, the cassettes can be finicky, and even new cassettes can have issues, so I don't discount that, but I wonder if the combination of 11-speed, titanium, and my riding might not be a match in all conditions. No issues climbing, in shorter gears, geometry is absolutely perfect for me, tasteful aesthetics etc. In short, I want it to work.

But it's worth considering all possibilities.

1) Should I try a different cassette?
2) Frame not a great match for how I want to ride?

If "2", I'm looking at Allez Sprint, I like the idea of a Noah but am not sure about tire clearance (strong enough for the Gorilla, assuming he doesn't get a special), but maybe other options? CAAD13 seems to be a departure from Cannondales of yore (I had a SystemSix, and to me, it was the perfect bike SuperSixEvo was nice but I never quite loved it). Thoughts?

I notice that the reviews are very bad about addressing this issue, maybe because most modern bikes are rigid enough for 175# reviewers - but not all riders are 175#!

jtakeda
05-02-2020, 01:55 PM
You’re starting from much too high of a gear.

Shift into a lower gear if you’re going to start from a stop or slow. It’s probably just wear on the cogs and chain exacerbated by the overgear

m_sasso
05-02-2020, 01:58 PM
How much millage on the chain, cassette and chain rings? Have you tried your rear derailleur micro cable adjusters in either direction, to slightly change the alignment of the rear derailleur with the cassette cogs? When is the last time you cleaned your chain and rear derailleur pulleys, is your chain the correct length?

Starting from any gear should not make any difference, still should not skip what ever gear he starts from, unless the chain is grossly cross chained. The chain is likely riding up on the rear cog teeth for some reason, need to figure out why.

cgates66
05-02-2020, 04:09 PM
~500 miles on chain, cassette (not brand new, but definitely not worn). The 11 speed cassettes look different than 10-speeds (the teeth in the smaller cogs are not as "straight") and the "riding up" is definitely the issue. Could be a bad cassette - I thought it was adjusted about as well as could be, and I have fiddled with it. Fiddling improved. Believe RD hanger is straight.

yinzerniner
05-02-2020, 04:25 PM
~500 miles on chain, cassette (not brand new, but definitely not worn). The 11 speed cassettes look different than 10-speeds (the teeth in the smaller cogs are not as "straight") and the "riding up" is definitely the issue. Could be a bad cassette - I thought it was adjusted about as well as could be, and I have fiddled with it. Fiddling improved. Believe RD hanger is straight.

Definitely not a frame issue, most likely a cassette or freehub issue. Would help to know which cassette you're running, and also which hub. That's a lot of torque going into the system to start at 53/14, and a cassette that isn't quite installed correctly or a freehub that's not engaging properly could easily skip at weird combinations but not at others.

palincss
05-02-2020, 04:28 PM
I'm a recreational rider, but reasonably strong / heavy (210#) and enjoy the occasional sprint. I've been riding a titanium frame (Lynskey R480), which I very much like in all respects with one possible exception. When starting from a low speed in a high gear (say 53/14), it seems that the gear will skip.

The bike shifts well, runs quietly (finally - thank you for suggestions forum) etc. otherwise. I'm running Ultegra 8020.

I have read here and elsewhere that with 11-speed, the cassettes can be finicky, and even new cassettes can have issues, so I don't discount that, but I wonder if the combination of 11-speed, titanium, and my riding might not be a match in all conditions. No issues climbing, in shorter gears, geometry is absolutely perfect for me, tasteful aesthetics etc. In short, I want it to work.

You say you "have been ridiing" this bike. For how long/how many miles? Did it always do this, or did it start recently? Have you measured the chain for wear? Have you looked for a stiff or binding chain link? You haven't by any chance recently replaced a worn chain without also replacing a worn cassette?

I have some mighty flexible frames, and I weigh more than you. None of them skip in the high gear. (Not that I could actually start up from zero in my top gear! I can't, and if you can, you still shouldn't.)

bigbill
05-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Frame.... If you were riding a bonded aluminum Alan, then sure. Otherwise it is in the drivetrain.

mj_michigan
05-02-2020, 06:15 PM
I have observed a "gear skip" several times, once with my own bike and twice with friends'. After the experience with my bike, I knew what the problem was with theirs -- the chain skipping over the same cog. If this is the case with your bike, you need a new chain, or a new cassette, or both. BTW, I weigh 200lbs and I do tend to expose the problem if it exists.

TiminVA
05-02-2020, 06:31 PM
A friend of mine had the exact same problem. The issue turned out to a bad chain. He had replaced a chain and this began immediately after. He tried a different, new chain and the problem disappeared.

davidb
05-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Have someone who has the tools and knowledge to check the following. Do not assume anything.
-Is the wheel in the frame straight? A QR wheel has one of the springs on backward causing the wheel to not sit in dropout correctly.
-Is the derailleur hanger bent? Do not rely on "it looks straight" or "a new frame" or a "new hanger".
-Derailleur hanger fastners tight?
-Is there too much "b" tension. Many, do not know how to correctly adjust.
-Do you have on link splitting, a tight link, or a quick connector?
-Has one of the cogs on the cassette become bent, is the cassette installed correctly, is the lock ring tight?
-Do not assume any of this was done correctly on assembly!
-Do you have a cracked jockey wheel(s).
-Starting at the derailleur and going toward the shifter do a visual inspection of the cable/housing, kinks, fraying?
-Is it an internally routed cable frame? If so are the cables crossed inside, crossed with the brake housing inside?
We are just getting started with what maybe going on.

Hilltopperny
05-02-2020, 06:56 PM
First thing I would do is check the hanger and make sure it is straight. Even a slight bend can make it skip. You may also want to check your lockring and see if it is tight enough. If you end up with a little play that may be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
05-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Cable too slack?

Ken Robb
05-02-2020, 08:18 PM

If "2", I'm looking at Allez Sprint, I like the idea of a Noah but am not sure about tire clearance (strong enough for the Gorilla, assuming he doesn't get a special), but maybe other options? CAAD13 seems to be a departure from Cannondales of yore (I had a SystemSix, and to me, it was the perfect bike SuperSixEvo was nice but I never quite loved it). Thoughts?

I notice that the reviews are very bad about addressing this issue, maybe because most modern bikes are rigid enough for 175# reviewers - but not all riders are 175#!
I'm not sure if you mean the chain skips from one tooth to the next or if the chain skips from one cog to another.

Peter P.
05-03-2020, 05:20 AM
Do you have one of those asymmetrical chains, and it's installed upside down?

Also, are you using an aftermarket quick-disconnect link on the chain?

oldpotatoe
05-03-2020, 06:09 AM

Er, how do you know it's 'not worn'? Can't really look at i since teeth have all sorts of shaping, etc to aid in shifting under load.
If just on that 14t cog, that cog is worn out..skipping under load. If this happens on other cogs, as in bigger/smaller cogs, then a der adjust or der hanger issue or chain issue(tight link? happens every pedal stroke or every 3rd or so? If every third or so, tight link, link problem). I doubt you are flexing the frame enough to make the rear der move..

R3awak3n
05-03-2020, 06:31 AM
definitely has nothing to do with the frame as others have posted... but does look like you want a new frame and I can't blame you, those spesh sprints look awesome. I want one too, need to tell my wife my other bikes are skipping gears and I need one of those ;)

cgates66
05-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Thank you forum! Looks like no Allez Sprint in my immediate future...or new cassette, for a while anyway.

1/4 turn loose made it massively worse. 1/4 turn of additional cable tension on the rear barrels adjuster (from base setting) solved it.

The new Shimano stuff is probably better, but seems way more sensitive to set up than 10 speed.

charliedid
05-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Thank you forum! Looks like no Allez Sprint in my immediate future...or new cassette, for a while anyway.

1/4 turn loose made it massively worse. 1/4 turn of additional cable tension on the rear barrels adjuster (from base setting) solved it.

The new Shimano stuff is probably better, but seems way more sensitive to set up than 10 speed.

No charge :banana:

palincss
05-03-2020, 01:31 PM

Well, the fact that you've fixed the issues on your current ride should in no way be an impediment towards your rightful pursuit of the ineffable N+1. And when you get it, by all means set it up with 10 rather than 11 speeds, if you'd like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPM6j1Q4sg