PDA

View Full Version : Mavic rim semi-rant

Spicoli
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Has anyone noticed that when building Mavic hoops, there eyelets are not quite seated all the way? Every time I have ever built a brand new set of Mavic hoops I have run into this, and it slows the process a whole bunch. I found that if I dont stress (kinda like unwinding) the rim when its fairly slack to seat the eyelets they seam to go haywire until the eyelets seat. I had perfectly even tension on both sides of one wheel and the thing was all over the place. Contrary to this one I stressed the eyelets on the other and it was brought up to tension perfect? Not sure if its just the way I build (bring it to tension fairly slowly) or I'm just not used to Mavic rims? I never have this on rebuilds w/Mavic or other companies like Ambrosio ect., only on NEW Mavic hoops. I'm just curious if I am alone in this? :confused:

ergott
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
As I bring a wheel up to tension, I routinely grab a pair of parallel spokes in each hand (a pair from each side, adjacent to each other) and grab the hell out of them. I use heavy leather gloves as this can hurt if you do this often (bladed spokes particularly). The first time I grab them, they make all sorts of noises! By the second or third time, they are quiet. Zipp rims make all sorts of crackling sounds that take a while to get used to! The first few times, the tension drops. I repeat until this no longer happens and the wheels are at the desired tension. It can take a dozen times or so.

pdxmech13
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
even tension on a mavic ?

really ?

Spicoli
01-18-2007, 09:54 PM
So its not just me? I just laid it on the floor and leaned on it a bit and you could feel them start to seat. Its not a big deal I guess, as long as you know to look for it, but I did not at first.

Pdx- I do know what you mean. They are a bit harder to build IMO/or for me at least than some other rims, but once together they do very well. I also always seem to hop them just a hair? Why would that be, ONLY when I use Mavic rims? All the Ambrosios I have ever built have been so trouble free. The rub to that is brake track issues on them. I guess there is always a rub to everything?

Ergott- thanks for everything, and putting my mind at ease.

chrisroph
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Late last year, I built some 28 nos paris roubaix ssc's on records and they were kind of a b**ch to get close to even tension, and lateral and longitudinal true. I got them seated and settled and did a nice t & s. Granted, I'm not the world's best or most experienced builder but I've built dozens of wheels. They were not an easy build and I'm still not sure I fully trust the rear. More miles will tell.