PDA

View Full Version : Resurgence of biking in the US?

madsciencenow
05-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Interesting article on biking in the US from the late 60s to 70s and wondering if COVID is driving a comeback.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/05/01/bicycling-booms-during-lockdown-but-theres-a-warning-from-history/#4031f7b941cf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtechnica
05-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Something is definitely going down. People are asking me to help them find bikes all of a sudden, and asking if I have any for sale.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Something is definitely going down. People are asking me to help them find bikes all of a sudden, and asking if I have any for sale.

Thinks it's because nobody is working, so nobody is driving..it's getting warmer and people are looking to exercise..there are no restrictions on driving, just no need to drive..people are looking for a diversion, a leisure time activity..IMHO. PLUS, lots have no $, so getting around by bike is a viable, cheaper, option.

Are people suddenly concerned about the environment and are taking to bikes? Doubt it..

Velocipede
05-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Every bikes store and bike company is running out of bikes. There are pics all over the web of stores like WalMart just empty of bikes. I've seen pics of shops bare.

Kids are stuck at home and parents want them out of the house. So they let them go ride. Oh? Bikes too small? Let's get you a new one! WAIT? You want me and mom to go riding with you? Let's get me and mom a new one!

Shops are reporting massive wait times for service. It's been great for bike shops, the whole stay in place orders. While crazy, it has led to a bike boom. Unfortunately once things settle down, it's all going to burst. And that's the sad part. Cause it's a great exercise. A great way to spend time with your family. My wife and I rode with the kids the other night. The furthest they've ridden. They loved it till we got caught in the rain and then my youngest was like, I have fenders to I didn't get wet. She was proud of the fenders. We plan on doing longer excursions in town with them. Just waiting for my sons new 24" wheeled bike to arrive next week.

But yes, there is a resurgence. Hopefully for much longer than this virus takes hold of the country.

Black Dog
05-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Now, Bikes are the new Toilet paper :)

It is amazing to see people actually leave their house and walk and ride around the hood.

Llewellyn
05-02-2020, 09:18 AM
It's been happening here as well but unfortunately I don't think it will last. I hope I'm wrong.

Mark McM
05-02-2020, 09:28 AM
It's a bit of a perfect storm for cycling popularity. Most "lock down" orders in the US allow for outdoor exercise, but no group activities - so people can only go out solo or in family groups. Cycling is a good solo activity, and an even better family activity. In cities, few people have cars, but they still need to get around. Cycling is considered to be safer than mass transit, where passengers are packed close together in confined spaces. So cycling has risen to the top for both recreation and transportation.

Bike shops have reported large increase in sales and service, particularly in the lower end (basic recreation and transportation sectors). But the question everyone is pondering is how long the "boom" will last. Will interest in cycling drop away once Covid-19 is no longer a threat (due to development of a vaccine or herd immunity), or will it become a permanent fixture?

nmrt
05-02-2020, 09:31 AM
I do not think this is a result of people really seeking to bike now.
I think it is the marketing bombarding them to purchase the perfect social distancing equipment. With noting to do, they think why not. So, they buy a bike.

It's a bit of a perfect storm for cycling popularity. Most "lock down" orders in the US allow for outdoor exercise, but no group activities - so people can only go out solo or in family groups. Cycling is a good solo activity, and an even better family activity. In cities, few people have cars, but they still need to get around. Cycling is considered to be safer than mass transit, where passengers are packed close together in confined spaces. So cycling has risen to the top for both recreation and transportation.

Bike shops have reported large increase in sales and service, particularly in the lower end (basic recreation and transportation sectors). But the question everyone is pondering is how long the "boom" will last. Will interest in cycling drop away once Covid-19 is no longer a threat (due to development of a vaccine or herd immunity), or will it become a permanent fixture?

OtayBW
05-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Every bikes store and bike company is running out of bikes. There are pics all over the web of stores like WalMart just empty of bikes. I've seen pics of shops bare.

Kids are stuck at home and parents want them out of the house. So they let them go ride.
Can't they just give them a bunch of cherry bombs and M-80s and let them go blow up fish in the creek like we used to do as kids? :rolleyes: :D

Jef58
05-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Our local bike paths have become crowded as well. Lots of families are out, most likely young children that aren't playing soccer on weekend mornings are out with their parents on bikes. Increasing number of elderly riders and e-bikes too. I think it's a good thing. At least the road traffic is light...

Hindmost
05-02-2020, 11:47 AM
...At least the road traffic is light...

I see young kids biking in the street unsupervised (!) and families biking as well. I wish it could last. I grew up in a neighborhood where kids had the street, cycling, playing ball 95% of the time; 5 percent they waited by the side for a car to go by.

dbnm
05-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Yard sales and craigslist are going to be awesome in late summer!

:banana:

buddybikes
05-02-2020, 12:28 PM
I have just worked on 3 neighbors bikes who know I am the "go to", first in 3 years here.

I could be a nice neighbor and begin sharing one of our 7...nope shed is locked...

benb
05-02-2020, 12:32 PM
I just got back from a road ride. I’d say the # of roadies I saw is 10% of normal.

But every trail head and MUT looked so crowded it seems as safe as going to the hospital and walking the corridors.

Everyone is buying bikes and putting them on the back of their SUV and driving the kids to the MUT.

There might be a few people who stick with it but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I rode by Walden Pond of Henry David Thoreau fame, it looked like spring break in Florida. I’ll be curious if the news picks up on the insanity.

Doug Fattic
05-02-2020, 01:27 PM
I live in Niles, Michigan a town of 15,000 just 10 miles north of South Bend, Indiana and 8 miles north of Notre Dame University. For the last several years they have been building in sections a MUT between the 2 cities. The last section just a half mile south of me was finished in November. They veered off the old railroad bed to make a U through a primeval forest crossing a fairly big stream. Even though the trail is close to businesses and major roads it has a out in nature feel to it. Since it is so close I have regularly used it to bike or walk the dog. I've been fascinated by who uses this new trail. The trail on a nice day seems busy but not crowded.

I see lots of families either walking or biking with young kids. Lots. There is a broad spectrum of bicycle types. Some look like they haven't been used in years and now is the time to start again. There are all kinds of cheap bikes but I also see a number of expensive bikes too including a Serotta, Rivendell and some kind of ti bike. I also see quite a number of fat tired bikes - which makes sense because our area gets a lot of lake effect snow.

I've been impressed that if it wasn't for this trail these people might not be out walking or biking as much. Niles is a blue collar kind of town and doesn't have the demographics of a Boulder or Durango where it is expected you play and exercise outdoors.

happycampyer
05-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Can't they just give them a bunch of cherry bombs and M-80s and let them go blow up fish in the creek like we used to do as kids? :rolleyes: :D

All the cherry bombs and M-80s are produced in China now, so there are shortages here in the US. Need to bring the supply chain back onshore.

weisan
05-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Yes, more people on bikes.

I hope most, probably not all, will continue.

We were like them once. I view this as a positive.

Matthew
05-02-2020, 04:23 PM
My buddy went back to work at our local shop today. He said it was the dingle best day the shop has ever had. I assume that entails mostly bike sales and some repair work. Accessories are likely flying off the shelves too.

54ny77
05-02-2020, 05:42 PM
HOLY TOLEDO there were a lot of families on bikes out today on the local bike path.

And ya know what? It's great! People being healthy, more kids in the sport having fun. More people on bikes = more awareness of road safety (as well as hazards, i.e., more support for bike lane advocacy). Can't begin to count how many little folks (<10) I saw pedaling as fast as they could and whooping & hollering, miles of smiles. Future of the sport right there.

I just rode along the road that largely parallels the bike path. Spent a little bit of time on the path, but it was fun. Took it super easy, stayed safe, then back on the road in the bike lane.

doomridesout
05-02-2020, 06:03 PM
Of course the bubble will burst, but if 10% of the bored kids realize the sport has something to offer it’s a net positive.

charliedid
05-02-2020, 06:23 PM
Maybe

Time will tell

peanutgallery
05-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Just wait till year round, elite U4 and U6 travel soccer comes back, the bikes will go back under the porch

I would think that maybe 25% of shops a seeing a surge, many are closed or hamstrung by local social distancing rules. Sinyard and Burke are talking like they had a romantic evening with Tony Robbins, but the sad reality is layoffs at Specialized and QBP...and many other vendors. Supply chain is janky and if you look ahead to June, July, August? Why load up on inventory

April 1 was a big due date for stuff that vendors dumped on retailers back in November and December. Lots of bills went unpaid...trust me on that. Second half of the year will be interesting

Tickdoc
05-02-2020, 06:57 PM
I want to be excited about this but I have a definite “stay off my lawn!” “Shakes fist at the sky” old man Grouchiness about it.

Young whippersnappers honing in on my sport.

No, I’m happy for the bikeshops and for people getting out there. Just hope they don’t find my routes :cool:

Seramount
05-02-2020, 07:27 PM
the sudden upsurge of 'new' bike riders is mostly due to people that are bored and just wanting to kill some time.

their numbers will drop as soon as thing open up again...

generally avoiding bike paths as they're pretty much of a disaster right now, lots of unskilled types doing really dumb things. can't even count the number of potential head-on collisions I've had to avoid in the last few weeks.

steveoz
05-02-2020, 10:06 PM
You can definitely tell the ones that drug out their old bikes from the garage/shed/storage/dumpster - they're all squeaky, creaky, twisty and rusty...lol

veloduffer
05-02-2020, 10:11 PM
My LBS (a Trek dealer) told me that Trek is almost out of bikes<$800. His revenues are same as before the lockdown but margins are down ( not the same as as selling high end Madone and Domanes).

peanutgallery
05-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Inbound supply from Asia has been disrupted since January, they sold thru what was on hand with nothing on the water. Similar situation with many companies. New model year for many is July 1, supposedly that product is inbound for an early release

Be an interesting summer, lots of non-enthusiast general service and generic sundries. It'll get you by, but it isn't what the bike geeks signed up for

My LBS (a Trek dealer) told me that Trek is almost out of bikes<$800. His revenues are same as before the lockdown but margins are down ( not the same as as selling high end Madone and Domanes).

oldpotatoe
05-03-2020, 06:34 AM

Kids are stuck at home and parents want them out of the house. So they let them go ride. Oh? Bikes too small? Let's get you a new one! WAIT? You want me and mom to go riding with you? Let's get me and mom a new one!

Shops are reporting massive wait times for service. It's been great for bike shops, the whole stay in place orders. While crazy, it has led to a bike boom. Unfortunately once things settle down, it's all going to burst. And that's the sad part. Cause it's a great exercise. A great way to spend time with your family. My wife and I rode with the kids the other night. The furthest they've ridden. They loved it till we got caught in the rain and then my youngest was like, I have fenders to I didn't get wet. She was proud of the fenders. We plan on doing longer excursions in town with them. Just waiting for my sons new 24" wheeled bike to arrive next week.

But yes, there is a resurgence. Hopefully for much longer than this virus takes hold of the country.

Just bought a new Cleary 26 inch for my almost 9YO(geez, how time flies, I remember getting her a Strider when she was 3yo), and resprayed her 24inch Cleary for her 7yo sister, and the 4 of them, mom and dad and them, go for a bike ride almost every day..

Yup....

oldpotatoe
05-03-2020, 06:37 AM
I just got back from a road ride. I’d say the # of roadies I saw is 10% of normal.

But every trail head and MUT looked so crowded it seems as safe as going to the hospital and walking the corridors.

Everyone is buying bikes and putting them on the back of their SUV and driving the kids to the MUT.

I rode by Walden Pond of Henry David Thoreau fame, it looked like spring break in Florida. I’ll be curious if the news picks up on the insanity.

The news will 'pick it up' when they start to report increasing numbers of infections and deaths at the hospital..in about 2 weeks....:eek:

mdeth1313
05-03-2020, 06:55 AM

I used to use one of the rail-trails here to get out of traffic for a bit on some of my rides. Now I won't touch it because social distancing is impossible.

Also interesting is I still see posts from my old bike shop in NJ (Albert's Westwood Cycle). They have people driving in from Boston and PA to buy new bikes and most of the stuff they're selling is pretty high end.

R3awak3n
05-03-2020, 07:20 AM
I was listering to a podcast and the guy works at a bike shop, he said specialized started sending 2020 models before they were officially released because they can't keep up with the demand and the 2019s were all sold out.

I think its great and I have seen more people on bikes lately, also a ton of people walking. Just like Old Potato said, you can drive a car but nowhere to go. I bet if they had a fun car they probably do a bit more driving but no one wants to go for a drive everyday on their Honda CRV... also you get no exercise and waste money. With a bike you get exercise, be outdoors now that the weather is better and spend sometime outside with the person you been spending way too much time with inside, its great.

Tickdoc
05-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Would be a great time for a public service announcement to wear a helmet when riding. Lots of darwinians out here are bare headed on both the street and the trails.

Doug Fattic
05-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Would be a great time for a public service announcement to wear a helmet when riding. Lots of darwinians out here are bare headed on both the street and the trails.There are almost no motorcycle riders in Michigan and Indiana (I live close to the state line) that wear a helmet. This has always seemed odd to me. Is there a divide in personality and culture between bicyclists and motorcyclists?

My welding supply store where I get tanks used in brazing is owned by a motorcycle enthusiast. He was lecturing to me one time about why it was safer not to use a helmet. I didn't see any point in engaging him in an argument.

Tickdoc
05-03-2020, 11:08 AM
There are almost no motorcycle riders in Michigan and Indiana (I live close to the state line) that wear a helmet. This has always seemed odd to me. Is there a divide in personality and culture between bicyclists and motorcyclists?

My welding supply store where I get tanks used in brazing is owned by a motorcycle enthusiast. He was lecturing to me one time about why it was safer not to use a helmet. I didn't see any point in engaging him in an argument.

We’ve always been a big donor organ state bc we have no helmet laws. Always gotta look at the bright side.:bike:

OtayBW
05-03-2020, 11:13 AM
All the cherry bombs and M-80s are produced in China now, so there are shortages here in the US. Need to bring the supply chain back onshore.
HAR! I'll write a letter to my Governor. Maybe he can do it! ;)

Gummee
05-03-2020, 05:25 PM
I didn't see any point in engaging him in an argument.His mind is made up and nothing you're going to say will convince him otherwise.

I'll bet there'll be a few % of the folks that I'm resurrecting bikes for that'll keep riding after this boondoggle, I'll also bet the % bump is likely to be single digits.

Life is fixin to get busy again and there won't be 'time to go riding' like there is now

M

4151zero
05-03-2020, 07:44 PM
I love the screen names on the preceding two posts above, not to mention the resurgence of bicycling...

Does Eddie Murphy ride ?

I need to develop more patience and/or find better routes while the newer riders and existing walkers/runners along the MUP/MUT collide with one another in a not so socially distant way.

Good from afar but far from good.

Tony T
05-03-2020, 08:03 PM
You know who the new riders are...
Sneakers, shorts and no helmet.
...avoid them. ;)

4151zero
05-03-2020, 08:06 PM
...avoid them. ;)

Agreed, however there are a few strong riders that wear just that... I've been pleasantly surprised and impressed (except for the lack of a helmet).

Tickdoc
05-03-2020, 08:50 PM
...avoid them. ;)

And don’t forget the squeak squeak squeak sounds

Velocipede
05-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Just bought a new Cleary 26 inch for my almost 9YO(geez, how time flies, I remember getting her a Strider when she was 3yo), and resprayed her 24inch Cleary for her 7yo sister, and the 4 of them, mom and dad and them, go for a bike ride almost every day..

Yup....

I just got my son a 24" wheeled KHS mountain bike. He's not quite 9. I didn't want to push it size wise especially since he's still not super comfortable on a bike. And I want to take him on trails when he's ready. So I figured the KHS Alite would work. It's a full sized adult bike shrunk down. I'm glad bike shops are booming. It's great. I just hope people don't stop.

Skenry
05-04-2020, 10:18 AM
...avoid them. ;)

That's how I ride too, in exactly what I wear most non-work days

benb
05-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Update on my previous post.

So I was shocked to see hundreds of people on the beach at Walden Pond.

The police did indeed clear everyone off the beach not once but 2x on Saturday.. a similar thing happened in other popular Boston area parks.

After seeing this Saturday I was worried we wouldn't be able to find a safe spot to be outside in the woods, etc.. but I was wrong, we did a 3.5 mile hike as a family and never came within 100 yards of anyone, and we only saw that one group.

People were just crowded in the most popular areas.

Also yesterday I saw a bunch of guys out on brand new road bikes who had absolutely no kit. Looked like pretty nice bikes and they were out in basically gym clothes looking quite fredly but with huge grins & they were working hard.

So maybe there will be some that stick.. if they like it they'll probably be ordering some bike clothes soon.

wildboar
05-06-2020, 05:22 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94787168_10223051601023168_3269610640821452800_o.j pg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=L61i8NDJtcwAX8Ogg83&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=18c7643c9d1a03bf0e4b73f4eebcfecf&oe=5EDA2764

buddybikes
05-06-2020, 06:02 PM
My wife audits a company that supplies Walmart, they are so busy my wife can't get her finance data!

For those of you youngsters, the first bike boom (I remember) started in 1970/71 French bikes galore - Peugeot U08's everywhere ( I wanted a PX10 at age 13 staring at me with nervex lugs and stronglight cranks...)

madsciencenow
05-06-2020, 08:31 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94787168_10223051601023168_3269610640821452800_o.j pg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=L61i8NDJtcwAX8Ogg83&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=18c7643c9d1a03bf0e4b73f4eebcfecf&oe=5EDA2764

A picture IS worth 1000 words...

wildboar
05-06-2020, 08:42 PM
I joined the Woom kids bike buy/sell group on Facebook and right now you can get pretty much all your money back on a 2-3 yr old bike in decent condition. The eBay prices in the past couple weeks have been crazy. I don't think any of these premium kids bike brands really know when they will get more back in stock, a lot of them seem to be throwing out best guesses of June/July.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
05-07-2020, 06:26 AM
There are almost no motorcycle riders in Michigan and Indiana (I live close to the state line) that wear a helmet. This has always seemed odd to me. Is there a divide in personality and culture between bicyclists and motorcyclists?

OMG-Holy thread drift..now a helmet thread!!

CO used to have a motorcycle helmet law or one was threatened and the argument from the 'suits' was that it infringed on personal choice and freedoms.
I always thought if a guy on a motorcycle chose to not wear a helmet, he had to be able to prove he had great health insurance.

If Colorado even tries to do mandatory bike helmet laws, they had better look at those riding 500pound+ machines, IN TRAFFIC at highway speeds(or higher) before they look at bicycle riders.

Mark McM
05-07-2020, 08:15 AM
For those of you youngsters, the first bike boom (I remember) started in 1970/71 French bikes galore - Peugeot U08's everywhere ( I wanted a PX10 at age 13 staring at me with nervex lugs and stronglight cranks...)

What your referring to is the Second bike boom. The first bike boom occurred in the 1890s, after the chain drive safety bike and pneumatic tires were invented, but before the automobile became common.

http://assets.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/j.0022-3840.1974.0704_838.x.pdf

GregL
05-07-2020, 08:45 AM
We’ve always been a big donor organ state bc we have no helmet laws. Always gotta look at the bright side.:bike:
When I was a young pilot working for a charter company, we flew organ donation flights for a well-known university hospital. Being low on the seniority list, I often flew these missions since they were usually late at night, on weekends and holidays. I never gave too much thought to the origin of the donated organs until an older, wiser colleague clued me in. A peak in the local newspaper the next day quite often showed articles on fatal motorcycle crashes. The correlation was quite thought provoking.

Greg

cmg
05-07-2020, 09:45 AM
the Walmarts in SA look the same. It's good to see more people on bikes but i live in truck country and it's going to take more than a pandemic to get them out of the truck. yep, new riders, in sneakers, chanclas and self made cycling shorts, not to bad if it's a female...:)

redir
05-07-2020, 09:47 AM
I talked to a friend of mine who owns a bike shop last week and similarly since I build and repair guitars and stringed instruments I've noticed the same thing. Everyone seems to have gone digging into their basements and attics to find that old guitar or that old bike and taking them into the shop for repairs. They need something to do!

cinema
05-07-2020, 09:57 AM
this means lotsa stuff to peruse thru on craigslist come december

mtechnica
05-07-2020, 10:33 AM
People aren't as interested in bikes over $1200 though, wonder why ;)