PDA

View Full Version : Better Carbon Pads

blacklegor
05-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Need to replace brake pads for a set of Reynolds attack wheels. Anyone used a set of pads other than the Power Blue on these that they were happy with?

KarlC
05-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Need to replace brake pads for a set of Reynolds attack wheels. Anyone used a set of pads other than the Power Blue on these that they were happy with?

Not sure what Reynolds Blue pads you are using but the newer Reynolds Cryo-Blue Power are about as good as you can get.

http://aerogeeks.com/2014/04/29/reynolds-cryo-blue-power-pads-review/

hoj
05-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Not sure what Reynolds Blue pads you are using but the newer Reynolds Cryo-Blue Power are about as good as you can get.

http://aerogeeks.com/2014/04/29/reynolds-cryo-blue-power-pads-review/

Also chiming in to say I've had the best experience with the Reynolds Cryo-Blue Power pads.

I've also had a positive experience with the braking power of the Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, however it seemed like those wore down a lot faster than any other pad I've used.

If you're itching to mix things up and try something different than the Reynolds then I would recommend trying the Zipps -- though I don't think they offer any better stopping power than the Reynolds.

jpritchet74
05-01-2020, 06:35 PM
My favorite are the SwissStop Black Prince. Absolutely fantastic.

lavi
05-01-2020, 06:40 PM

Timely thread! I'm about to replace pads for Bora WTOs. I've heard good things about the SS Blacks....and the braking with the stock Campy pads on these wheels is not at all quiet. You can def (almost deaf) hear me coming.

Maybe a silly question: any real issues with going away from manufacturer's pads (aside from voiding warranty)?

Real concern being using a compound that will overly heat the clincher and blow the tire off. No, I don't drag brake. I weigh 190-200 lbs and like to go very fast.

wtex
05-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Would the Cryo-Blues be ok with American Classic carbon rims? I'm using the older Shimano carbon pads and they don't have great stopping power.

OtayBW
05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Timely thread! I'm about to replace pads for Bora WTOs. I've heard good things about the SS Blacks....and the braking with the stock Campy pads on these wheels is not at all quiet. You can def (almost deaf) hear me coming.

Tuned in. I'm going on my first ride on a new set of Bora WTOs tomorrow. This is the first I've heard about noisy pads although I understand the reds do work well.

AngryScientist
05-01-2020, 07:13 PM
i think the campy red pads are the best.

lavi
05-01-2020, 08:03 PM
Tuned in. I'm going on my first ride on a new set of Bora WTOs tomorrow. This is the first I've heard about noisy pads although I understand the reds do work well.

They work great! Truly great braking with that pad/rim combo. However, make sure they are toed properly, or you may wake the dead.

I think they are excellent! Just with the Bora WTO, the braking is not silent. At all. It's the "pro" jet/whooshing sound. I had just heard somewhere (maybe here) that the Swiss Stop carbon blacks had the same performance without the sound.

I'm fine to stay with the Campy pads...just was looking for a more quiet option. I don't want to lose any braking performance.

lhuerta
05-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Ur not going to find anything better than the Reynolds blue pads, especially for Reynolds specific brake track. Campagnolo red pads r a close second...

4151zero
05-01-2020, 10:43 PM
I agree that reds can be non silent on campy bora ultra wheels, and Reynolds worked great on my zipp 202, but are Reynolds really better than campy on campy, and vice versa?

thirdgenbird
05-01-2020, 10:48 PM

A number of years ago, shimano sponsored pro teams could be seen with campy red pads.

Cgeisler
05-02-2020, 07:15 AM
new campy gray pads streaked my rim beds (Lightweight wheelset) this week. acetone removed the gunk, but i was disappointed -- never encountered that.

glepore
05-02-2020, 07:22 AM

They are my go to pad on all my brakesets. Even like them on A33's.

irideti
05-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Campy red:banana:

OtayBW
05-02-2020, 04:40 PM

They work great! Truly great braking with that pad/rim combo. However, make sure they are toed properly, or you may wake the dead.

I think they are excellent! Just with the Bora WTO, the braking is not silent. At all. It's the "pro" jet/whooshing sound. I had just heard somewhere (maybe here) that the Swiss Stop carbon blacks had the same performance without the sound.

I'm fine to stay with the Campy pads...just was looking for a more quiet option. I don't want to lose any braking performance.

I agree that reds can be non silent on campy bora ultra wheels, and Reynolds worked great on my zipp 202, but are Reynolds really better than campy on campy, and vice versa?
Yeah, Boy, WOW! They are NOISY! Think 10th grade shop class with a room full of orbital sanders going...

jpritchet74
05-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Maybe a silly question: any real issues with going away from manufacturer's pads (aside from voiding warranty)?

Real concern being using a compound that will overly heat the clincher and blow the tire off. No, I don't drag brake. I weigh 190-200 lbs and like to go very fast.

I had a set of new Campy red carbon pads when I bought my used Bora One 35s. Way too loud for my liking. I spoke with the Campy USA tech guy - none of his suggestions would make the noise go away. I asked him about using the SSBP pads - all he would say is that he recommended the Campy pads. I asked specifically if the SSBP would damage the rims and he said no. So that's what I am using.

I find the braking performance to be as good as you can get on carbon rims - definitely not a step down performance wise from the Campy red pads.

OtayBW
05-02-2020, 06:02 PM
I had a set of new Campy red carbon pads when I bought my used Bora One 35s. Way too loud for my liking. I spoke with the Campy USA tech guy - none of his suggestions would make the noise go away. I asked him about using the SSBP pads - all he would say is that he recommended the Campy pads. I asked specifically if the SSBP would damage the rims and he said no. So that's what I am using.

I find the braking performance to be as good as you can get on carbon rims - definitely not a step down performance wise from the Campy red pads.
Sorry, but what are SSBP pads?

jpritchet74
05-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Sorry, but what are SSBP pads?

SwissStop Black Prince

lavi
05-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Yeah, Boy, WOW! They are NOISY! Think 10th grade shop class with a room full of orbital sanders going...

Lol. Welcome to the club. Nothing stealth about them.

I’m gonna give the SSBP a go when it’s time to replace.

RoosterCogset
05-02-2020, 07:03 PM
At least campy makes a version of their brake pads to work in Shimano brake pad holders.. more choices = good

4151zero
05-03-2020, 07:49 PM
SwissStop Black Prince

Thanks for the recommendation, I am a believer !

How many smiles per setup, I think these are wearing purty fast!

Guess I just need to find a constant climb loop that never descends back home!

54ny77
05-03-2020, 09:48 PM
same, when using edge carbon clinchers.

lavi
05-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Quick update. I also posted ATH.

SSBP pads arrived. I used them for 1 hr. Back to campy red. In short, not nearly the braking performance on the WTO wheels as the intended pads. The SS are ok, but not nearly at the level of performance/braking power.

Makes sense I guess. Campy wheel = campy pad. Now I know.

one60
05-29-2020, 03:27 PM
I had similar issue with Campy red pads on Boras. For whatever reason, that combo requires a good deal of toe-in. Once adjusted properly, the noise disappeared. And the braking is great, nearly as good as an alloy brake track (but not better than the OXICs!)