PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Ritchey Road Classic Opinions

grateful
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1997 Ritchey Road Classic frameset and am interested in opinions.

The frame is fillet brazed and uses Tange Prestige tubing. It says that it was made in limited numbers and hand built by Tom himself.

Any thoughts on the quality of this frame?

Thanks

PacNW2Ford
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I think you said it all in the description. It is one of the frames on my all-time "shortlist". Size? Condition?

chrisroph
01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
If the frame fits.....

grateful
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
It is 54 cm center to center with a 55 cm top tube. It fits.

Serotta PETE
01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
If the framr fits you - - - IT IS A VERY NICE RIDE!!!!!

I do nor know about the limited number and I doubt if the complete build was done by Tom R. On my 1977 team mountain bike of his, he only built the rear triangle. HE did spec it and that is what makes it a very nice ride.

PETE

grateful
01-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I found a catalog and it says "The Road Classic is painstakingly hand-built by Ton in very limited quantities." It appears to be a step up from the Road Logic framset. I can not discern the difference in the two framesets from the catalog other than the Classic has a shorter wheelbase and a different standover.

fiamme red
01-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I found a catalog and it says "The Road Classic is painstakingly hand-built by Ton in very limited quantities." It appears to be a step up from the Road Logic framset. I can not discern the difference in the two framesets from the catalog other than the Classic has a shorter wheelbase and a different standover.The Road Logic was (is?) TIG-welded in Japan (by Toyo), except for the down tube/head tube joint, which was fillet-brazed by Tom Ritchey. The Road Classic was entirely fillet-brazed by Ritchey himself.

I'd certainly snap it up.

Big Dan
01-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Something like this??
Not mine.

grateful
01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Is 400.00 fair for the frame/fork/shimano 600 headset/titanium seatpost and ritchey quill stem.

There are a few very minor paint chips and no dents. It looks very lightly used.

I offered 350.00 and the shop said 400.00 firm

old_school
01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
yup

MRB
01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Is 400.00 fair for the frame/fork/shimano 600 headset/titanium seatpost and ritchey quill stem.

There are a few very minor paint chips and no dents. It looks very lightly used.

I offered 350.00 and the shop said 400.00 firm

That is a question that you will have to decide for yourself. Certainly $400 does not go very far if buying new. However, most bicycle frames don't hold their value very well.

I would look at it like you are buying a work of art and a piece of history, and if you will actually use it, then yes it is a "good buy".

I have always thought the Ritchey road frames were cool. I saw quite a few when visiting my brother in the bay area, and thought they were cool.

HTH

sailorboy
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I got a very fine example of this frame, and if yours even has the original steel fork, all the better. I found this one here on the forum in great condition. The ride quality is great for an allrounder. Chainstays are about 5mm longer than similar size stock bikes I have owned, so you will probably feel a bit smoother ride in the back. This bike can really jump and climb well and doesn't give much up out of the saddle despite the longer CS and older steel. Bottom line, its the best $450 I've spent in a long time. It has the "Nitanium" sticker on it, so I don't know who the original tube maker is, Tange sounds like a good guess. TR "handmade" sticker also on the seat tube, so it is probably within a year or so of the frame you are looking at.

Link to the pics I posted is here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=24278

thwart
01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I bought a white Ritchey Road Logic frame on eBay about a year ago. Came with a Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork. Possibly the best purchase I've ever made. Less than 20 lbs. built up with a Campy triple crank and Mavic Heliums (hill bike), pedals included. Smooth as my Serotta Colorado III (actually maybe even moreso), like glass... yet very stiff on climbs. All day rides with no stiffness the next morning. A bike you just want to ride every day, and ignore any others.

You won't regret it.

But if you do decide against it, please send me a PM with the email address for that bike shop... :D

grateful
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
That is the exact frameset, looks great built up.

I pulled the trigger, thanks for the input

chrisroph
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats. Bet you love her.

thwart
01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I have mixed feelings.

That size was perfect for me... ;)

mosca
01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
If I find one of those in my size, it will be mine. Congratulations, I'd say you got a great deal. Hope to see some pix in the gallery soon!