PDA

View Full Version : Road tubes with removable cores

Ryun
04-30-2020, 07:26 PM
Ive been transitioning to clinchers (heresy I know) and now I have some 5.6 enves.
All the valve extenders I have are the type to use with a removable core.

Does anyone have a tube recommendation that comes with a removable presta core? Nothing latex or crazy. I just cant seem to find them online

thanks
Ryun

fjaws
04-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Have used Maxxis, Mavic, and Kenda but there are others. Most of the ones I've seen use "R/V" as the designator of removeable valve.

p nut
04-30-2020, 07:36 PM
Q Tubes as well. Although they may be made by Kenda.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Q-Tubes-Standard-700C-Presta-Tube

WillieJ96
04-30-2020, 07:47 PM
Giant also makes most tubes with a removable core.

FlashUNC
04-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Kenda.

charliedid
04-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Kenda

They make the tubes.

pff
04-30-2020, 07:50 PM
continental

nighthawk
04-30-2020, 09:31 PM
The Schwalbe tubes that I use have removable cores, but not certain if all do.

Velocipede
04-30-2020, 09:43 PM
There are a bunch that make removable cores. Some, like Kenda, they make the exact same tubes with and without removable cores. You just to check the description.

Kenda, Vittoria, Continental, Maxxis, QBP, BikeTubes, Schwalbe. All of them make tubes with removable valve cores.

brewsmith
04-30-2020, 09:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the draw of the removable cores? Adding sealant I imagine?

I ask as a neophyte who has yet to enter the realm of tubeless or adding sealant to clincher tubes, which combined with the use of lezyne pumps which thread on and occasionally loosen the core make them more of a nuisance.

Mikej
04-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the draw of the removable cores? Adding sealant I imagine?

I ask as a neophyte who has yet to enter the realm of tubeless or adding sealant to clincher tubes, which combined with the use of lezyne pumps which thread on and occasionally loosen the core make them more of a nuisance.

If you want to use valve extenders for deeper wheels you have to remove the core. To the op, I’ve found Bontrager extra lights or conti extra lights work well. I like the red Bontrager extenders.

Mark McM
04-30-2020, 10:04 PM

Adding sealant is one reason to use tubes with removable cores, although that is becoming less common with tubeless tires becoming more popular. The other big reason is to be able to add valve extenders (for deep section rims), as the OP mentioned.

When one has several sets of wheels with different rim depths, it is more convenient/economical to use a single model of tube with a traditional (short) valve length, and then use different valve length extenders for each set of wheels. Valve extenders are re-usable, and can be transferred between tubes as necessary. The OP had been using tubular tires, and it is just not practical for tubular manufacturers to produced multiple versions of each tire with different valve lengths, so the use of valve extenders has become standard for tubulars.

Ryun
05-01-2020, 05:56 AM
There are a bunch that make removable cores. Some, like Kenda, they make the exact same tubes with and without removable cores. You just to check the description.

Kenda, Vittoria, Continental, Maxxis, QBP, BikeTubes, Schwalbe. All of them make tubes with removable valve cores.

I guess this is what’s getting me.
I have Michelin Vittoria and Conti all in my parts bin and none of them have RVC.
And most online listings don’t specify
But lots of good suggestions here

Thanks everyone

BRad704
05-01-2020, 06:24 AM
I've pretty exclusively used Continental Race and Race Lite for years. About $8 each on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R3awak3n
05-01-2020, 06:52 AM
I've pretty exclusively used Continental Race and Race Lite for years. About $8 each on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

same here, its all I use. Good price, light, nice tube and removable valve core.

charliedid
05-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Just thinking out loud and could be wrong of course but don't 80mm valves fit Enve 5.6?

Ryun
05-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Yes they do and thats what I currently have in there.
Right now, I am using some tape to stop the valve stem clicking. Id like to use the valve extenders with the rubber bits that came with the rims to address the clicking

Velocipede
05-01-2020, 07:47 AM
I have Michelin Vittoria and Conti all in my parts bin and none of them have RVC.

Thanks everyone

I agree it's a problem. It comes down to lazy photo/description writing.

charliedid
05-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Yes they do and thats what I currently have in there.
Right now, I am using some tape to stop the valve stem clicking. Id like to use the valve extenders with the rubber bits that came with the rims to address the clicking

Got it.

I've often thought but never got around to trying it but I wonder if a heat shrink sleeve over the valve would calm the noise? It may not have enough dampening to work...

Just a thought

Ryun
05-01-2020, 10:30 AM
That’s exactly what I’ve done on my tubulars in the past but couldn’t find a standard tubes it was a little too thick without filing the valve hole

ThasFACE
05-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Continental Race. Though I should say that my last batch was not a good one, so now I have that glimmer of doubt about their qc...

charliedid
05-01-2020, 10:41 AM
That’s exactly what I’ve done on my tubulars in the past but couldn’t find a standard tubes it was a little too thick without filing the valve hole

Yeah

Oh well good luck and we go 50/50 on that million dollar idea !

OtayBW
05-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Vittoria Ultralite, but only the 51 mm stem has removable core.

fjaws
05-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone

How many are you after Ryun? Happy to send you some for a small fee if you are unable to find them.