PDA

View Full Version : Shimano flat bar road front mech compatibility

acorn_user
04-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm building up a road frame for a teacher friend, and I'm planning on using the new Shimano Claris flat bar shifters (ST-RS200). I have a number of derailleurs I could use, but I was planning on using an old Ultegra 9 speed front, and a 105 10 speed for the rear. I read the manual for the shifters, but it didn't say anything about compatibility. I can buy the Claris bits if I have to, but I'd rather use up that parts bin :)

Will this work?

Thanks!

acorn_user
05-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Sunday bump. Don't make me buy Claris derailleurs :)

ColonelJLloyd
05-03-2020, 03:47 PM
I have no experience with the Claris shifters, but I wouldn't think they're any different than any other 8-10 speed Shimano road shifters regarding cable pull so you should be golden with those front and rear derailleurs.

Ed-B
05-03-2020, 05:02 PM
The Shimano web site doesn't differentiate between flat bar and drop bar mechanisms for Claris 200, so you may be okay with the 9 speed Ultegra front mechanism in an 8 speed Claris 200 drivetrain.

Having said this, Shimano flat bar shifters have traditionally used a longer throw front mechanism, similar to their mtb products. The distance from the cable anchor to the upper pivot is longer than the STI mechanisms. This may have changed with the 200 series, and you may find more information than what I see with a casual search.

For older flat bar controls, a short throw mechanism like a 105 STI derailleur may not work well, it may feel too stiff and not move the chain far enough to complete the shift. If this is the case, there is no remedy other than using a different derailleur. A Shimano flat bar front derailluer like a 440 series, an older Shimano Exage, 1055 or 600, or even an old SunTour mechanism might be the right device here.

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2020, 05:25 PM
FWIW, Universal Cycles says the 2000-series Claris FD compatibility is “Shimano - Road”, unlike the 9-speed/10-speed 440-660-770 stuff. This could be because I think 8-speed FD pull for Road and Mountain are the same, I don’t remember when they became different.

ultraman6970
05-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Always you can get firction thumb shifters. Cheap, easy to use and pretty much you can fix the bike with any brand or model of parts.

acorn_user
05-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't thought about using thumbies, but it's kind of tempting now :)

duff_duffy
05-03-2020, 10:37 PM
Great suggestion

Always you can get firction thumb shifters. Cheap, easy to use and pretty much you can fix the bike with any brand or model of parts.

ultraman6970
05-04-2020, 01:19 PM
I have no idea how many speeds we are talking about but velo orange has a set of thumb shifters like for 12 bucks. I fixed a bike fro a friend with those a couple of weeks ago (bike was like 6 speed tho), old mtb and the twisters were broke at the inside.

Installed those things and the bike did perfect, the thumb shifters were nothing fancy, not even have sis like click clack, but used a spring loaded plastic thing that touch the ratchet so doubt the lever will move down once you move it, like an improved friction lever.

No idea if they have like thumbshifters for like 10 speed systems tho. Maybe they do, havent checked.

ultraman6970
05-04-2020, 01:22 PM
THis ones can do 10 or 9 speed shimano road or mtb.. but looks like they do friction 10 speed aswell...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Microshift-Flat-Bar-Shifters

These are the ones I have used...

https://velo-orange.com/collections/shifters/products/falcon-friction-thumb-shifters

mistermo
05-04-2020, 02:19 PM
https://www.rivbike.com/products/kljs-gl46sgg?_sid=f5ca03561&_ss=r&_pos=2&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyZXlub2xkc3NoQGhvdG1haWwuY2 9tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiTFZiNmFDIn0%3D