PDA

View Full Version : Bike ownership: monogamy or serial dating?

paredown
04-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Or is it a harem? (Which is what I suspect, given some of the posts around here...)

I've made the dating comparison when discussing my obsession with my wife--that I am like a guy in the throes of dating, and I haven't found "the one."

Who has found "the one"--and what was it that killed further bike lust and curiosity?

I'm still really enjoying the Look 585, just got the CSi dialed in--but I feel an odd sense of responsibility for the rejects... How do I tell them that it is over?

(Whoops--wrong spot--Mods can you move? Carry on...)

jpritchet74
04-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Yes, yes, and yes.

I switched bikes at least every 6 months for about 3-4 years until I got my Cervelo SLC-SL about 10 years ago. I still have that bike.

But, it's become a harem since then. Some have come and gone, but the current count is 7 bikes. MTB, Cross bike, TT bike, and 4 road bikes.

For years my wife called my bike my mistress because she joked (sort of) that I preferred to spend my free time on the bike instead of with her.

That's only partially true.

cinelli
04-30-2020, 11:39 AM
Wrong forum?

jpritchet74
04-30-2020, 11:46 AM
should probably be in the general discussion

lavi
04-30-2020, 11:52 AM
I'm not monogamous. At all. I can be for long stretches...but eventually something akin to the 7 years itch takes place. Could be wider rims, 650b fatties, or just an itch.

I'm now working on being loyal to one bike...per discipline. One road bike. One all road. One rain. One mtb. One burrito slayer (beer getter). One bmx.

That's the best I can do.

jpritchet74
04-30-2020, 12:37 PM
I'm not monogamous. At all. I can be for long stretches...but eventually something akin to the 7 years itch takes place. Could be wider rims, 650b fatties, or just an itch.

I'm now working on being loyal to one bike...per discipline. One road bike. One all road. One rain. One mtb. One burrito slayer (beer getter). One bmx.

That's the best I can do.

One per discipline. Excellent concept. Too difficult for me.....

pbarry
04-30-2020, 01:13 PM
There’s one or two here who could be compared to Caligula, DiCaprio, or Brian Ferry. ;).

AngryScientist
04-30-2020, 01:13 PM
i'm working on it:)

also - moved to GD

Hellgate
04-30-2020, 01:16 PM
I've typically had a bike per discipline; road, MTN, CX. I build a custom one, exactly how I want it, then ride it for years. Over 40 years of road riding I've had maybe 6 to 8 road bikes. One stolen, one broke, two hit by cars.

wallymann
04-30-2020, 01:35 PM
i started with one bike. road racing bike.

then one per niche. road + cross + mtb.

then the niches under management expanded. road + cross + mtb + beater-road + trainer + ti.

the sub-niches were introduced. steel racing, italian + steel racing, belgian + steel racing, dutch + steel racing, fixed-gear + CF lugged, skinny tubes + CF lugged, fat tubes, + CF lugged, sloping + CF lugged, ex-pro-bike, .......etc etc etc.

dont get me started on categories/subcategories of wheelsets under management.

#insanity

lavi
04-30-2020, 01:38 PM

then the niches under management expanded. road + cross + mtb + beater-road + trainer + ti.

the sub-niches were introduced. steel racing, italian + steel racing, belgian + steel racing, dutch + steel racing, fixed-gear + CF lugged, skinny tubes + CF lugged, fat tubes, + CF lugged, sloping + CF lugged, ex-pro-bike, .......etc etc etc.

#insanity

Lol. Awesomeness! POTD.

jwin
04-30-2020, 01:46 PM
When I got into cycling only a few years ago, I went through probably 10-12 bikes before settling on a quiver so-to-speak. It's still not "the bike" but I got a lot damn closer to that and to knowing what I want.

Got one full suspension bike, a gravel bike, and a road bike. Constantly thinking about the next bike and what the "quiver" should look like.

Without a garage, I'm constrained, but hey, you do what you can!

Coffee Rider
04-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Polygamy isn't right for everyone, but it's right for me because I call myself a collector. If I exclude things I'm looking to unload, I only have multiples of the same brand from two companies, so it's not so bad. Also, I don't have any mountain bike stuff, tracks bikes, cross bikes, etc., so there are other rabbit holes I can be going down in the collection route. Plus, my newest steel bike is ca. 2001, though I expect to be getting a steel frame built in 2020 and possibly another in 2021. I still won't have an TIG welded steel, so that's one more thing I don't have any likely won't unless I get stainless steel.

cmg
04-30-2020, 01:53 PM
Have a custom KISH that's been with me the longest. I compare every thing else to it. probably have gone through about 20 bikes. I'll change the frames and forks but the components move to the next when its replacement time. majority is campy 10 speed so it's interchangeable. Have a set of shifters that have been rebuilt 3 times. So if i see something that i think will work, give it a go and if it don't, give it to someone else.

ciclista_tifoso
04-30-2020, 01:59 PM

I've had the same mountain bike for years, but once i picked up road cycling i've been 'serial dating', replacing each road bike purchased every ~18 - 24 months or so.
Cannondale Synapse --> Giant Defy Advanced --> BMC Teammachine SLR --> Trek Emonda SLR (which i still have but may aim to sell soon, great as it is), and at some point later this year, a No22 Drifter X, which i plan to keep long term, 'monogomously'.

duff_duffy
04-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Serial dater for sure with bikes!

David Tollefson
04-30-2020, 02:08 PM
I think I've always had two road bikes in the mix since... 1990?

Now for the active rotation, it's two road bikes, one gravel, one beater, one monster-cross single speed, and a TT bike that sees rare usage. All have drop bars except the TT bike. A few other frames hanging around. All made by me.

Traditionally, there was a MTB, and the MTB that just got replaced became the "beater".

If you think serial dating in purchased bikes can get out of hand, just imagine what happens when it becomes "design experiments".

jwin
04-30-2020, 02:16 PM
Have a custom KISH that's been with me the longest. I compare every thing else to it. probably have gone through about 20 bikes. I'll change the frames and forks but the components move to the next when its replacement time. majority is campy 10 speed so it's interchangeable. Have a set of shifters that have been rebuilt 3 times. So if i see something that i think will work, give it a go and if it don't, give it to someone else.

Don’t you find building the bike up very time consuming though?

That’s part of what holds me off from project after project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

froze
04-30-2020, 02:33 PM
I just ride which ever I have for whatever I'm doing, I'm a bicycle cheater! I don't hear them crying about it, the bikes are all stoic, so if they don't care I don't care. The good think about all my bikes is that they know their places, if I put a bike in it's usual place it stays there till I want it, unlike humans.

I'm not really a collecter, but I have 9 bikes but they were not all bought new, only 4 were bought new, and I bought 2 used, and the others I found in dumpsters!?

Is Covid 19 boring you all? if so keep reading! LOL! I'll try to bore you all some more!! LOL!!

I bought new a 1984 Trek 660 frame and fork and had it equipped with all Suntour Superbe stuff; that bike has over 250,000 miles.

I had several Miyata's but I kept a 1985 610 and sold 3 Miyatas to a Miyata collector; the 610 I kept, I found it in a dumpster, it's a tad small for me but my grandson will be able to ride this summer which is why I kept it for quite a few years.

I also have a Dawes Galaxy, not sure what year it is, it was dumpster find with just frame and some components, I plan on restoring it when I retire and sell it.

Another dumpster 85 Schwinn Voyager which is in excellent condition which is odd being in a dumpster, a bit big for me waiting to see if a taller friend wants it as of right now.

I still have the 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe which I paid $60 for it used, this one I folded the fork in crash 6 months ago, I'll will probably give this bike to my friend who wants the Voyager as a parts bike.

84 Fuji Club I bought used at a garage sale for $40 in excellent condition, I commute to work on that bike, it's a fantastic bike.

87 Giant Rincon bought new, the XT components were horrible from day one!

2013 Lynskey Peloton bought new, made some minor changes before I received the bike, changed the fork to a Enve 2.0, headset to a Cane Creek 110 from a low end FSA, rear derailleur to Ultegra from 105, the rest of the bike is all 105.

Lastly a brand new 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, this is a touring bike that is replacing the 85 Le Tour Luxe I crashed. It's a bit heavy at 27.5 pounds but it was weighed with the tires which are heavy at 1400 grams a piece, new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's are only 485 grams a piece and handle long loaded touring just fine, so I will be switching to those before I go on a long tour to reduce the weight by about 3 pounds. If any one wants a new touring bike that Masi is fantastically comfortable riding, it's geared for hauling loads up mountain road and not for going fast but that's what I wanted. It's a great deal as well, I would have had to spend another $1K to get something that was better.

So nothing really fancy accept for the Lynskey, and that's not as fancy as some of the bikes you all have.

OK, I'm done boring those who decided to read all of that crap.

OtayBW
04-30-2020, 02:37 PM

#insanity
Haha. I'm strictly a roadie, so I'd have to modify my ownership sub-niches as:

- Steel (Stainless, Pegoretti Responsorium)
- Steel (Vintage/Italian, De Rosa Primato)
- Titanium (Serotta Legend Ti)
- Carbon (BMC SLC-01)

I don't rotate too much, so that puts me into 'Category: Harem'. That about works for me! :hello:

parallelfish
04-30-2020, 02:44 PM
... How do I tell them that it is over?

That’s a question for Clean39T. He’s a love’em and leave’em kind of guy:)

cmg
04-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Don’t you find building the bike up very time consuming though?

That’s part of what holds me off from project after project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk No not really, it's like building a puzzle. What do i need to modify, make work? The Serotta was from a few years back. the drive train is on the current serotta fierte and the wheels on the KISH.

witcombusa
04-30-2020, 04:39 PM
They're all the ONE for different reasons.
And they all get along just fine with each other.

Steve in SLO
04-30-2020, 04:43 PM
Serial Polygamist here. I keep 'em too long to consider it dating.

gbcoupe
04-30-2020, 05:11 PM
I'm a bike whore. Can't deny it. At least I keep most of them around. ;)

Vonruden
04-30-2020, 05:52 PM
Serial Polygamist here. I keep 'em too long to consider it dating.

This, with a few trade in’s here and there.

Coffee Rider
04-30-2020, 06:05 PM
I'm a bike whore. Can't deny it. At least I keep most of them around. ;)

Collector sounds better. If you have an SO, you may need to be able to explain why each one is special in its own way.

mtechnica
04-30-2020, 06:12 PM
My bikes typically have a long tenure, especially lately. There are a couple I've had for 6-7 years now.

witcombusa
04-30-2020, 06:16 PM
My bikes typically have a long tenure, especially lately. There are a couple I've had for 6-7 years now.

I've had some around for 40 years.
They are all to death do we part!

dpdan93
04-30-2020, 06:21 PM
sometimes in my mind I start to add money spent over the last three years and then I have to stop for fear of where that's going.

I did sell, and then rebuy a bike back. Took a break? If you love it set it free etc etc etc.

Seramount
04-30-2020, 06:44 PM
um, I've got a 'wife' and a 'mistress'...any more than that seems masochistic.

keeping a fleet of bikes going is just not my thing.

Robot870
04-30-2020, 06:51 PM
I have found the One! 12 years so far at about 15k plus a year on her.......I look but would never change !!

Jaybee
04-30-2020, 06:57 PM
um, I've got a 'wife' and a 'mistress'...any more than that seems masochistic.

keeping a fleet of bikes going is just not my thing.

Same, at least the idea. I’ve got enough bikes for the rides I want to do, and not a lot of duplicate use cases.

lavi
04-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Dang. After all these posts, only one dude with a "the one". Interesting. Is it surprising? I guess not.

This place (and VS) has been instrumental in me "learning" many things over the years. This place also is the reason why I've spent so much damn money. I'm not overly upset. At all.

gbcoupe
04-30-2020, 07:43 PM
Dang. After all these posts, only one dude with a "the one". Interesting. Is it surprising? I guess not.

This place (and VS) has been instrumental in me "learning" many things over the years. This place also is the reason why I've spent so much damn money. I'm not overly upset. At all.

I look at it as functional artwork. Some get more attention, but they're all beautiful and have their place.

Hellgate
04-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Well crap, I forgot about two other road bikes I have.

OP - Just buy bikes you like. [emoji4]

Jaq
04-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Almost always only had one, but that's sorta changed. My current I've had since '95. About 2015 or so picked up a cheap single-speed on a whim. Loved it till some bastard stole her away in 2017.

But now I've bought myself a Wabi Lightning frame, and I'm slowly gathering the parts. The goal is a sub-15 lb. build, all-alloy, no carbon-fiber.

Also trying to keep the cost down... so I spend waaay too many hours in our classifieds, on fleabay, craigslist, etc.

jpritchet74
05-01-2020, 08:47 AM

#insanity

#geniusnowthewifecantgetmadatme

No not really, it's like building a puzzle. What do i need to modify, make work? The Serotta was from a few years back. the drive train is on the current serotta fierte and the wheels on the KISH.

This is what I do. Buy parts, sell parts, move things from bike to bike. Do what needs to be done to keep the itch scratched.

jpritchet74
05-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Also, I have thought that I have had "the one" a few times in regards to a frameset or wheels. Something new always comes along though. Right now my Pegoretti seems like "the one" and so do my Bora One 35 wheels, but time will tell.

The only "the one" that has stuck for the last 20 years is Campagnolo Record 10 Speed. There was a brief affair with Di2 for a year or so, and one road bike still had a Di2 FD and RD, but the brake levers are Record 10s.

NHAero
05-01-2020, 10:44 AM
I had the "one" road bike for 30+ years with my '72 Bob Jackson, because I takes 32s and therefore was always fine for dirt roads (before they were called gravel, which NH/VT really don't have, they're dirt). Added a Trek MTB when they first came out in the early 80s.

Once I figured out the Jackson was too big for me especially as my body aged, it all went downhill (or uphill!) I have the niches and sub-niches Wallymann refers to:

- modern road bike (Firefly, PL buy)
- classic Italian road bike (Casati, new kid in town, PL PSA)
- classic all-road bike (Bob Jackson)
- modern all-road bike with discs (Anderson)
- cargo bike (Big Dummy)
- fixie/SS bike (Nagasawa, PL buy)
- FS MTB - (Pivot 429C, Pinkbike buy)
- old folding bike (Raleigh 20 - came back to me after 30 years away)
- tandem (Bilenky, PL buy)
- dropbar 26er conversion (Litespeed)

Bought new are the Jackson, Anderson, and Big Dummy.

I still have to pass on my Klein Pulse II MTB, it's not getting ridden.

Polygamy for sure, and I think a fairly stable stable

flying
05-01-2020, 12:20 PM
I have one bike & one wife ;)
It has always been that way for 35+ years of road bike riding now.

I never thought about owning more than one at a time
The first great one which I rode for over a decade was a
Columbus SL Masi
Truth is I should have just kept riding that :rolleyes:

But Carbon was coming & I jumped on the bandwagon
Rode Look then Cervelo then back to Look
Cervelo was short lived as it was the early R2.5 with self imploding BB

Last 3 years on I'm Aluminum & I have to admit Alum has come a long way

I think I will be going back to steel in a year or two & that will be full circle

But yes always only 1 bike/ 1 wife
No option anxiety :)
I just enjoy the ride & keep "the one" (bike ;) ) in perfect condition/fit

C40_guy
05-01-2020, 02:01 PM
I like the harem concept, and that's how I've managed my small gaggle of bikes, and my growing flotilla of kayaks.

I have my best bike that gets the most attention, and a handful of others that get some love...and a couple that have been in pieces for a while...

I found that doing the same with *cars* saved me a lot of money. For a while, I was changing my car every year (always older sports sedans). When I went to an N+1 strategy -- sporty wagon for every day use, sporty car for fun, autocrossing, occasional track time, I was able to switch back and forth as appropriate, and that largely quenched my thirst for something new/different. I could do something different every drive. :)

Nomadmax
05-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Polygamist all the way and I have my eye on another frame & fork. Seven lugged steels, a modern Felt VR40, a mountain bike and a 1974 Schwinn Varsity ;)

weisan
05-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Some people take in stray dogs or cats....I have a soft heart for stray bikes

http://alicehui.com/1/IMG_7592.jpg

robertbb
05-05-2020, 03:04 AM
How do I tell them that it is over?

Well, they'll know when they find themselves advertised online.

As opposed to people. Who will find out when you advertise yourself online.

robt57
05-05-2020, 08:10 AM
I like the harem concept

:banana:

I came into this thread, searched for the word Harem first thing.;)

You can't love them all, but you should love as many as you can.

Another factor/question might be: Do I have multiple bikes worth x$, or do I have one worth same x$, Zootamus Maximus?

d_douglas
05-05-2020, 09:25 AM
I have a bike per discipline that I do: 1x skinny road, 1x mountain, 1x commuting, 1x CX /gravel.

The last was a recent purchase and a whim since my commuter is a competent gravel bike, so I broke my rule.

At one point I owned a Speedvagen (made for me), acquired a Crumpton, and then couldn’t resist a mint Serotta Legend. I was riddled with guilt for having three road bikes accomplishing the same thing - so I sold the last two off.

A bike per discipline is good enough for me...