PDA

View Full Version : (half-)forgotten athletes (non-cyclists) that still impress today

martl
04-30-2020, 08:55 AM
sometimes the name of an athlete comes to my mind of whom i haven't heard in years/decades, and when i look them up on youtube, i get reminded how impressive they were and still are, how much they stood out among the others
I'm sure many have such heroes and would like to share these memories!

I'll start with Jan Zelezny, Javelin Thrower from Czechia.

His palmares and stats are impressive enough, 3x olympic champion, his world record of 98.48m with the new style javelin is unbroken since 1996.

I saw him once live at Zurich Letzigrund, and it was incredible how much he stood out from the rest of the (worldclass) field. His warm-up throws already were longer than some of the competitors competition efforts.

Also amazing how small he looked compared to some of the other athletes, but it felt as if his arm was twice as fast as everyone elses. The cameras of that time had troble catching the movement and often one only sees the effort in the super slomo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK7jVzkwpGA

(I wonder how he would have done in Baseball :D)

jmoore
04-30-2020, 09:13 AM
Very nice!

I was a high jumper through college and always loved watching the javelin. I goofed around throwing it for a while but could never get the mechanics down.

It's an awesome event, esp in person. One of my most vivid memories of watching an event was at Texas Relays. I was on the field right next to the
throwing lane. There was a Scandinavian guy who threw for UT who absoultely LAUNCHED one. Like 50-60' further than anyone else. I can still hear the ping of the javelin coming off his hand.