PDA

View Full Version : New Veloflex SPS Clinchers

fignon's barber
04-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Anyone tried the new Veloflex SPS clinchers? They're the ones with the new sidewall protection. Sizewise, are they accurate, or is a 25mm really a 23mm, and the 28mm really a 25mm like the old ones?

AngryScientist
04-30-2020, 07:06 AM
have not, but look forward to. i'm a big veloflex fan, they ride so well, i hope the new sidewalls do not make them less supple. probably pick up a set when i wear out some tires here.

fignon's barber
04-30-2020, 08:14 AM
I just checked over of weight weenies forum. Looks like the new SPS are running a bit narrower than labeled, which is exactly what I want for the Bixxis. 28mm Vittoria graphene (measures 30mm) are too close on the chainstays, so the 28mm veloflex should be perfect.

Tickdoc
04-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Just installed corsa sps in both 25 and 28 on two bikes. I can’t find my calipers or I’d measure for you but I can report they were easy to mount, look great, and ride even better then they look.

Another note is they easily mounted to my enve 3.4 rims, which have Been notoriously picky as to which tires they like to seat a bead on. These are the rims that popped a bead at 3am when an old version of master 25’s (non sps) were mounted. The new ones must have an improved bead shape as they seated first time solid.

They also appear a bit more narrow than advertised,in typical veloflex fashion.

I love these tires.

Here’s a shot of the 28’s on my ciocc. I had to swap them for 25’s bc the front tire wouldn’t clear the super record RS calipers, but I suspect that is a fork hole placement issue rather than a caliper issue. I put the 28’s on shamal milles mated to my seven with super record brakes and they cleared with ease.

I’ll look for calipers and give you an accurate measurement later.

https://i.imgur.com/8YJ56Ccl.jpg

AngryScientist
04-30-2020, 08:54 AM
where did you guys purchase those 25's from?

fignon's barber
04-30-2020, 09:04 AM
I just ordered from Critusa via ebay, $92 per pair. They are in S.Carolina.

stephenmarklay
04-30-2020, 10:22 AM
In the past my Veloflex ran on or slightly smaller than advertised and road like a magic carpet.

Tickdoc
04-30-2020, 01:05 PM
where did you guys purchase those 25's from?

I got mine from Maine cycles off eBay I think?

slambers3
05-05-2020, 09:49 AM
So I’ve currently got 3 sets of new Veloflex Master tires sitting mounted, inflated but not ridden.

Here’s how they measure:
Master 25 on Zonda C17: 24.5mm
Master 25 on Stans Alpha 400: 24.5mm
Master 28 SPS on Fulcrum Quattro Carbon (17mm internal I believe): 26mm

I don’t know if they’ll settle and stretch a bit with the miles, but it’s interesting to note that these, on the rims I’m mounted them to, tend to run slightly smaller than labeled (at least initially)

SoCalSteve
05-06-2020, 08:16 AM
Any thoughts on flatting? Always weary of tires that people say are very comfortable, supple, etc.

I’ve found the Conti GP line to be the best compromise. But willing to try something else.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

SoCalSteve
05-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Also, what is the difference between the Corsa and Master?

Thank you!

brewsmith
05-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Also, what is the difference between the Corsa and Master?

Thank you!

As far as I know, the only difference is that masters have tan sidewalls vs black on the corsas

fignon's barber
05-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Any thoughts on flatting? Always weary of tires that people say are very comfortable, supple, etc.

I’ve found the Conti GP line to be the best compromise. But willing to try something else.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I started keeping track of flats/mileage between Veloflex masters and Vittoria corsas a couple years ago. I found that I got almost twice as much mileage and probably half the flats when using the Veloflex. YMMV.