PDA

View Full Version : compressionless housing that's not yoko ??

vqdriver
04-29-2020, 08:26 PM
i want/need to replace my compressionless brake cable housing and this time around want to avoid yokozuna. i've had it, and my big takeaway from that installation was that it just doesn't. want. to. bend.
front disc is not an issue, it's a straight shot.
but the rear disc caliper takes the cable on the left (outside the chainstay) and the cable guide is on the inside of the chainstay. there's a fair bit of room, about 4 inches or so to work with but it proved to be diabolically difficult to get the yokos to make that S turn. frame is designed for hydros so the housing run will be a single piece

alternatives greatly appreciated.

p nut
04-29-2020, 08:58 PM
I’ve always been happy with Jagwire Pro. Just cut straight (I use dremel) and you’re golden.

ColonelJLloyd
04-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Jagwire Elite Link. It's expensive, but it's great. Best way I've used to deal with housing bends.

macaroon
04-30-2020, 04:07 AM
The TRP cable kit comes with a couple of flexibles to solve that issue.

https://merlincycles-img.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/25715_trp_disc_cable_kit.jpg

dddd
04-30-2020, 10:48 AM
The problem with the flexible standard housing is that it is nearly compressionless when run straight, but becomes very compressible when made to bend.

So adding flexy housing where the bends are may make the entire run of housing little better than using a single piece of standard housing.

A better approach might be to allow a straighter run, away from certain anchor points, but tethered to the frame in a way that better accomodates any sharp bend or suspension movement.
And I believe that the compressionless housing can be bent over a reasonably-small mandrel without damaging it.

The shorty sections of flexy housing in that kit would appear to be intended to accomodate tight handlebar bends only. I wonder if bendable solid metal tubes with liners would be better in that spot since there is no bending motion there once the tape is applied. The metal tube could also be of much smaller diameter under the tape.
I have seen a section of thin copper tubing oddly substituted for cable housing and it seemed fine on that one bike at least.

azrider
04-30-2020, 11:12 AM
(I use dremel) and you’re golden.

Brilliant.......

loxx0050
04-30-2020, 12:07 PM
I've got the Jagwire elite link on my road bike and they seem to work just fine. It looks pretty slick too and supposedly saves weight over standard cable housings too.

p nut
04-30-2020, 12:15 PM
I've got the Jagwire elite link on my road bike and they seem to work just fine. It looks pretty slick too and supposedly saves weight over standard cable housings too.

I have some Alligator I-link, which are similar to the Jagwire Elite link. They work fine. But not any better than Jagwire Pro I had. Feel seems to be about the same. I do like the look of them (on certain bikes).

jpritchet74
04-30-2020, 12:39 PM
I have been using Nokon for 12-ish years.