PDA

View Full Version : Leadville

ejh
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Well I did it today, I signed up for the Leadman. Are there any body out there signing up for the ride or more? If so see you there.
Eric :banana:

gdw
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm going for the half or full Marathon, Silver Rush, and 100 MTB race. I'd like to try the 100 mile run but was hoping to hold off on signing up until after the mtb race. It looks like the run is going to fill early so that might not be an option. I'll probably do The Pikes Peak Ascent or Marathon instead.

scrooge
01-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm looking for the little puking icon/smiley but can't find it....

I was thinking about signing up for the 100 Mile MTB race, but given my very limited mountain bike experience, think I'll hold off for a year. I'm amazed at anyone who can do the "leadman..."

Ginger
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM

I was thinking about signing up for the 100 Mile MTB race, but given my very limited mountain bike experience, think I'll hold off for a year. I'm amazed at anyone who can do the "leadman..."

Go for it. You've got all summer to train and even quite a few of the top guys walk some sections.

Nope, I've never done it, but I know people who have. You'll be fine (in a sick sort of way...)

Heck, one of the Michigan guys who does well every year is known to crash on rides...(he even crashed on stuff *I* rode...)

Oh hey...btw...I heard in the past that there's a 100 mile mtb race in the east that puts leadville to shame...or so I hear...it doesn't have the elevation, but supposedly it's tougher.

ejh
01-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm going for the half or full Marathon, Silver Rush, and 100 MTB race. I'd like to try the 100 mile run but was hoping to hold off on signing up until after the mtb race. It looks like the run is going to fill early so that might not be an option. I'll probably do The Pikes Peak Ascent or Marathon instead.
hello gdw, I hope we can get together for some training rides if the snow ever goes away, I need all the help on my mt bike. I'm going out on a limb as I think trails are for running and roads are for riding. What bike are you riding, and how is it set up? Eric

Archibald
01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Finishing is easy.

Taking home a buckle, that's hard.

You'll have had a blast...once it's over!

:beer:

onekgguy
01-19-2007, 09:29 AM

here you go...

crossjunkee
01-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Finishing is easy.

Taking home a buckle, that's hard.

You'll have had a blast...once it's over!

:beer:

How do you get a buckle, top 100, or is it by time?

ejh
01-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Its by time must be done in 12 hours for the bike and 30 hours for the run. Eric

Archibald
01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I haven't paid any attention to how they do it these days, but it used to be you had to do it under 9-hours to get the buckle. That's frikken' moving on that course. The course itself is not technically hard, just has lots of steep climbing at high altitude. That said, I know guys who do pretty well on SS's.

If you want a real soul crusher, check out the Montezuma's Revenge MTB race. No-one's ever finished the course in 24-hours.

H.Frank Beshear
01-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Its by time must be done in 12 hours for the bike and 30 hours for the run. Eric

I think there are two levels under 1 time is a silver buckle and under 9 hours is a gold buckle.My lbs owner has 3 silvers, he missed gold last year by a small margin with 2 flats and a minor mechanical. I was by there last night and he was putting his application in the mail. He's on a mission this year for the gold buckle. Good luck to all who are going. Frank

crossjunkee
01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
i'm tempted to sign up for it this year and take some time out of road racing. heck, i ride enough in the area when there isn't a race. i might as well go for a buckle!

we were there last year climbing mt. elbert during the 100 mile run portion. we shared part of the colorado trail with them. needless to say, they all looked crazy, but smiling!

crossjunkee
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Race mementos and t-shirts to all entrants. Under 9 hours – handcrafted gold and silver trophy belt buckle, under 12 hours – handcrafted silver belt buckle. A hooded sweatshirt and medal to all finishers. Fantastic awards for gender and age group top finishers. Unique ore cart trophy to the first male and female finisher. Awards ceremony Sunday.

http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/merchant.ihtml?id=1425&step=2

Ginger
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
My aquaintence who has 5 of the gold buckles (raced it five times) says:

>It's a great race. They will have a blast..
>
>I laughed, I cried...

And pointed out that over 12 hours is considered DNF....

ejh
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
i'm tempted to sign up for it this year and take some time out of road racing. heck, i ride enough in the area when there isn't a race. i might as well go for a buckle!

we were there last year climbing mt. elbert during the 100 mile run portion. we shared part of the colorado trail with them. needless to say, they all looked crazy, but smiling!
I resemble that remark, its alot or fun and addictive. I've told my family every year that I'm not going to do it and when the application shows up its off to Leadville. Eric

gdw
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm riding the 100 on a 22lb titanium hardtail, light but reliable, set up with an 8 speed Sram/Shimano drivetrain, v brakes, and semi slicks but might do the 50 on full suspension if I'm still sore from the marathon. Full suspension isn't necessary for the 100 but might be easier on the body if you're not used to spending a full day in the saddle and need to be fresh for the run.

I'm always up for a ride but will not start training until after the Moab half marathon in March. Hopefully the snow will be gone by then.

crossjunkee
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Sooo, do you guys think it's to late to try and get in?

Ginger
01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
It's a lottery entry system and I think your application has to get there by the end of January.

Then you wait to see if you got in or not.

chuckred
01-19-2007, 05:58 PM
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2784/9/8/2/42/61/0/61420208910_0_ALB.jpg
First time I proved I could do it. 11:41

Second time I proved I could do it while dealing with problems (broken chain, weather, pit mis-cue). 11:40

This time going for sub 11 (I know - not fast, but hey, I'm an old weekend warrior, that's it!).

I really am mistified by those of you who do the 100 mile run!

scrooge
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I know that this is a bad way to look at things, but what do you folks figure is a fairly minimal training schedule to complete this event? After reading this thread, I'm pretty tempted to sign up, but don't want to waste my money when my winter dreams of training don't become a reality this summer...

chuckred
01-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I know that this is a bad way to look at things, but what do you folks figure is a fairly minimal training schedule to complete this event? After reading this thread, I'm pretty tempted to sign up, but don't want to waste my money when my winter dreams of training don't become a reality this summer...

This is really a pretty simple event. I'll give you my perspective, keeping in mind that I am essentially a recreational rider who does a few races a year as part of my midlife crisis.

All you have to do is get yourself to the point where you're comfortable riding at altitude under potentially miserable weather conditions, figure out how to hydrate and what nutrition you need for 7 (winning time) to 12 (cut off for official placing and the belt buckle) hours, while anticipating everything that could go wrong and being ready to tackle what you don't expect.

While it's true what many say - it's not all that technical, the reality is that when you're descending from the top of Columbine at 12,600 feet in a rain storm, it's not exactly a walk in the park. Powerline has certainly claimed it's fair share of collar bones. And, the paved road at the bottom of Sugarloaf on the way back to St. Kevins can seem like it's a wall and many have taken the chance to quit at that point!

So, for training, starting now, base miles, some intervals, and some weights. I joined our local racing club a couple of years ago to get in the early season training rides - very helpful! I was getting in 80 mile, low - moderate rides in each weekend until the current ice age hit.

Set some interim events that will give you a chance to work up to the all day length - regular Century rides on the road bike should be a piece of cake by the time June comes along. Extended climbing is especially worthwhile - rides like the Triple By Pass are good to experiment with your nutrition and hydration strategies, get a feel for the elevation, etc. (My thoughts here are that the long days on a road bike are less punishing and require less recovery than a comparable day on the mountain bike).

Basically, you're goal is to build up a suitable level of endurance and strength to survive the day.

That having been said, I try to get a 5 hour or so mountain bike ride in at least every other weekend or so, in addition to a 3 hour or so road ride - all with as much climbing as I can work in.

Since I travel alot, I also get a couple of spin classes in during the week for interval and high intensity training. I also have a spare bike where I travel, so I can get an easy recovery ride in on the So. Cal fire roads.

If you're more of a racer than recreational rider like me, you can of course exchange mountain bike races, etc. I'm thinking of adding at least one more shorter (i.e. an 8 hour solo race) in before hand, and probably some shorter cross country races - certainly would be helpful from both a technical and fitness perspective.

Also, while the race is incredibly well supported and it's entirely within reason to expect that you could do it with no personal team support, don't over look the mental edge that having a loved one in the pits to cheer you on, and keep you moving when you want to quit!

There's a good Yahoo discussion group with more detailed discussions about training - a few years worth of history and worth checking out.Leadville Discussion Group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/LT100Bike/)

Also, the fat cyclist (http://fatcyclist.spaces.live.com/) has some good blogs about training and riding it...

Anyway, depending on your current fitness level, if you're willing to obsess over it between now and August, you should be able to do it!
Obviously you can set your training up to be as technical as you want, but there's no way around it - putting in lots of climbing miles and getting used to being on your mountain bike for a long hard day is the basic key!