PDA

View Full Version : Titanium headset?

jpw
05-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Does anyone think the idea of a titanium headset in a Serotta, or any other quality titanium frame, is a bad idea? Thanks.

Kevan
05-14-2004, 10:13 AM
but the loss of some grams...maybe.

zap
05-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Could be fun when it comes time to remove the Ti cups from a Ti frame.

But I wonder why one would choose a Ti headset. Al works so well and it is lighter.

David Kirk
05-14-2004, 10:48 AM
As strange as it might seem Ti headsets are heavier then aluminum headsets..........but they are a lot more expensive so they have that going for them.

Dave

dirtdigger88
05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I looked at a Ti King headset when putting my bike together. It wasn't looking to save grams, more just the added wow for myself. I decided not to do it though, like it has been said before- Al works great. Besides with a Serotta I have all the wow factor I need

Jason

ericmurphy
05-14-2004, 02:48 PM
As strange as it might seem Ti headsets are heavier then aluminum headsets..........but they are a lot more expensive so they have that going for them.

Dave

Why would it be strange? Titanium is about 40% heavier than alumiinum.

David Kirk
05-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I guess just because many folks think it's the other way.

Dave

Kevin
05-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I must admit that I do have a Chris King Ti headset in my Ottrott. I like the look, and when you are spending $10K on a bike you better like they way it looks and rides. I have had it for about a year without absolutely no problems.

Kevin

BumpyintheBurgh
05-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Just acquired a used Legend delivered today that has a Chris King Ti head set and Cinelli Ti quill stem. I have to admit that I am one of those metallurgically challenged individuals that didn't know that titanium was 40% heavier than aluminum. What do you think, should I send the bike back and start looking for an aluminum headset? Nah! The setup flows seamlessly from frame to headset to stem. My decision is, what gruppo and wheelset will look best with the polished Ti finish? Any suggestions?

Russ
05-14-2004, 11:36 PM
I have the Chris King Ti headsets in my bikes (Legend, Ottrott, etc). I got them because I don't like the looks of he other King heatsets, especially with the white silkscreened name on it.

The Ti headset is actually heavier than thier alloy counterparts.

Russ
05-14-2004, 11:39 PM
....My decision is, what gruppo and wheelset will look best with the polished Ti finish? Any suggestions?

Campy Record, of course! The new chain rings look almost made out of Titanium...

Wheels, good ol' Ksyrium SL SSC's (black). Look at some of the pix on the image gallery for ideas!

jpw
05-17-2004, 12:09 PM
The 'KING' logo on the upper and lower race surfaces is laser etched and the headset can be ordered without the logo i.e. bare. Nice.