PDA

View Full Version : ErgoBrain

TmcDet
12-22-2003, 07:45 AM
I had thought of putting a Campy Ergobrain on my bike but when I mentioned it to my LBS they told me that I shouldn't do it. I had read some bad reviews on it by people that had supposedly had it and didn't like it so I figured the LBS had good reason for not recommending it. After reading on here that Kevin was using one and it appeared that he liked his I thought maybe I should ask if anyone here uses them and what their likes and dislikes are about them.

Thanks
Kenneth

Blastinbob
12-22-2003, 08:46 AM
I have an ergobrain on my 1 of my bikes. I like it for the most part but I'm not sure it's worth the money . The buttons in the hoods are not the easiest to use when you are riding, I rarely change the screen function anyways. I do like knowing what gear I'm in without looking back. That's a plus , but it goes out of wack alot and has to be reset. Bottom line is all 3 of my bikes have campy components and I haven't put an ergobrain any other bike.

Bob

Jack Brunk
12-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I have 3 ergobrain computers and have had no problems with any of them. They are very reliable and durable.

Jack

Kevin
12-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Kenneth,

I have Ergobrains on both of my bikes. One of them is three years old, the other is one years old. I have never had a problem with either unit. However, on one of my bikes there is an issue with one of the brake hoods being properly placed for the button that controls the Ergobrain. When I get out of the saddle I seem to twist the hood cover slightly which causes the button to be mislocated. This is not a big problem since the hood easily twists back to the proper position. Over the winter I intend on replacing that hood.

On my other bike, I have never had any issue with the unit or the hood cover.

As far as price, I agree that it is expensive. I also agree that it has too many functions for many cyclists, including myself. However, I like the ability to control the functions that I do use from the hoods and in comparison to the price of an Ottrott ST it is tip money. Notwithstanding the price, I would reccomend the Ergobrain.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
12-22-2003, 08:42 PM
The Dr. is convinced that the Ergo Brain is a wonderful piece of plastic to twiddle with if you have a patient, skilled, person installing it.

However, unless your LBS is tired of vac'ing the floors, licking lithium grease-covered spoons, or mustering up the verve for looking through an obscene website one more time, they probably won't be excited about installing one for you (or a Flight Deck, for that matter). They are a huge pain in the ass to install. Yeah, I know, the customer is always right, but there are plenty of other computers out there that will do the job, and your LBS would much rather put them in for you, and won't cuss you when you're not around for having to put up with installing your Ergo Brain.

Share the love, buy something else

Robert

Is this guy humping air?:banana: