PDA

View Full Version : Cupertino, Ca after work ride recs

onsight512
04-29-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm going to be up there next week for work and am wondering if anyone could recommend anything that'd be good for after work/evening?

Are there any fire roads nearby, or is all of that stuff closed? At the moment I plan on bringing the road bike, but I prefer exploring dirt.

This'll all be a Monday-Friday thing, after work.

thanks,
Chris

Bostic
04-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Fremont Open Older Reserve is closed right now. That's the immediate area with dirt. If you want exhausting steep climbs on road there are plenty of miserable ones in the area. Regnart Road, Lindy Lane, Comer, Mt. Eden to Stevens Canyon, Rainbow.

onsight512
04-29-2020, 01:01 PM
Fremont Open Older Reserve is closed right now. That's the immediate area with dirt. If you want exhausting steep climbs on road there are plenty of miserable ones in the area. Regnart Road, Lindy Lane, Comer, Mt. Eden to Stevens Canyon, Rainbow.

Thanks. I'll bring my 32 for the top of Regnart. lol. Some of those look like 'fun'.

4151zero
04-29-2020, 02:37 PM
Don't forget Montebello Road!

https://bayarearides.com/rides/montebellostevens/

SneakyFast1
04-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Roughly from south to north:

Black Rd.
Montevina
Bohlman - On Orbit
Highway 9
Stevens Canyon
Redwood Gulch
Montebello
Moody
Altamont
Page Mill
Alpine

This a good website describing the climbs above and it has a list of short and steep climbs. http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/resources/BA_Climbs.html#PM

hokoman
04-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Don't forget Montebello Road!

https://bayarearides.com/rides/montebellostevens/

Montebello was my go to ride back in the day!

4151zero
04-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Montebello was my go to ride back in the day!

It's a beast! On the plus side, the OP wants a mixed terrain loop, so this fits the bill.

Hindmost
04-29-2020, 03:46 PM
..Fremont Open Older Reserve is closed right now...

Closed to bikes and horses. I didn't realize, but I did stop going there because the foot traffic was going to get nuts. It sounds like the same closure applies to the rest of the local open spaces, too.

Cupertino is an amazing location for access to pavement and off pavement (when open) in the local hills.

Another favorite is Stevens Canyon, Redwood Gulch, Highway 9 combination.

onsight512
04-29-2020, 07:19 PM
Thanks everyone. That'll provide my friend & I some wonderful opportunities for some shared suffering next week.

much obliged,
Chris

dem
04-30-2020, 07:24 AM
As indicated, all mid-penn (fremont older, montebello OSP, etc) are closed to bikes.

Santa Clara County parks are open, that means you could do and in-n-outs:

Stevens Creek Canyon Trail (dead ends into mid-penn property, usually a good up and over montebello or over to page mill. There is a small creek crossing but we've had barely any rain so I'm sure it is fine)

Stevens Creek Canyon Rd->Mt Eden/Pierce->Highway 9->Sanborn Rd->John Nicholas Trail (if you don't want to descend the dirt, continue to Skyline and then back down 9.)

I'd be out riding those but I've been injured for months, so no first hand ride reports. Go early, trails are all mobbed!