PDA

View Full Version : Learn me something about 86.5 Press Fit BB with Campy UT crankset

drewellison
04-27-2020, 06:38 PM
I'm getting a new frame which takes an 86.5 Press Fit BB.

I'm going to be running a Campy UT crankset.

Should I just get the Campy UT 86 BB cups? Is there a better solution?

Any tips or tricks with installation?

Thanks for the collective wisdom and advice!

Drew

fignon's barber
04-27-2020, 06:47 PM
I used super record cranks on a Canyon frame that required bb86. No problems, but you MUST use Loctite.

robt57
04-27-2020, 07:06 PM
I have a BB30 press fit with SR UT, I used the Campy cups and Loctite222. Quite as a mouse...

Dave
04-28-2020, 07:28 AM
I have two frames with Campy 86mm press in cups. Since the frame is all carbon - no aluminum inserts bonded to the frame, I opted for a very light application of grease before pressing in the cups. If I ever detect a problem, I have the proper loctite on hand.

My fear is the cups could be bonded in so well they will not come out without damaging the frame.

No problems after 20+ months.

drewellison
05-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Just closing the loop on this.

The frame I’ll be using does not have inserts, so I will be installing the Campy BB86 cups directly onto carbon After consulting with OP, I’ll probably use carbon paste. I’ve got some Finish Line Fiber Grip with the little beads in it. That’s the plan.

This will be my first install of non-BSA or -FSIT bottom bracket.

Thanks, all!

chrisroph
05-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Why not use Loctite with Loctite primer? Most foolproof method. But the primer is mandatory.

wasfast
05-07-2020, 11:33 AM
PF BB's have had issues with UT cranks. I prefer the Praxis BB:
https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

I have an extra sitting in the toolbox that came with a frame and I already had one. Give me something for it and I'll send it along. I'm in San Diego, CA.

YesNdeed
05-07-2020, 11:44 AM
I'm getting a new frame which takes an 86.5 Press Fit BB.

I'm going to be running a Campy UT crankset.

Should I just get the Campy UT 86 BB cups? Is there a better solution?

Any tips or tricks with installation?

Thanks for the collective wisdom and advice!

Drew

You have to be sure of the inner shell diameter. Both BB86 and 386 Evo have a width of 86.5. The difference is in the shell diameter. BB86 is 41mm, and 386 Evo is 46.

I used Loctite 609 on my press fit BB86 with Record UT cranks and had zero creaks.

Edit: I always use Campy cups for Ultra Torque applications.

drewellison
05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Why not use Loctite with Loctite primer? Most foolproof method. But the primer is mandatory.

Not aware of Loctite primer. I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

PF BB's have had issues with UT cranks. I prefer the Praxis BB:
https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

I have an extra sitting in the toolbox that came with a frame and I already had one. Give me something for it and I'll send it along. I'm in San Diego, CA.

Thanks for the kind offer. I've got some new Campy BB86 cups on the way so I'll give those a try first. But if I have any issues, I may get back with you.

You have to be sure of the inner shell diameter. Both BB86 and 386 Evo have a width of 86.5. The difference is in the shell diameter. BB86 is 41mm, and 386 Evo is 46.

I used Loctite 609 on my press fit BB86 with Record UT cranks and had zero creaks.

Edit: I always use Campy cups for Ultra Torque applications.

Thanks for looking out for a press-fit newbie! I did measure the ID of the shell and it's 41mm.

With all these BB "standards", there's nothing standard any more!

YesNdeed
05-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Thanks for looking out for a press-fit newbie! I did measure the ID of the shell and it's 41mm.

With all these BB "standards", there's nothing standard any more!

No problem. I went through this learning curve a few years ago when I ordered the wrong cups @ 46mm diameter, needing 41mm. Instead of returning them I put the box in the parts bin and forgot about them. And now, my newest build is a 386 Evo, so I already have the cups! :banana:

cribbit
05-08-2020, 10:25 AM
No problem. I went through this learning curve a few years ago when I ordered the wrong cups @ 46mm diameter, needing 41mm. Instead of returning them I put the box in the parts bin and forgot about them. And now, my newest build is a 386 Evo, so I already have the cups! :banana:

Here it is! Proof that an extensive odd parts is useful. I'm definitely not have hoarding things and will definitely use them all some day!