PDA

View Full Version : Gravel SPDs - Cage / Platform or No?

jwess1234
04-27-2020, 11:32 AM
What do people prefer for their gravel bikes? SPDs for trail with the cage/platform, or without?

Any pros and cons for those who have ridden both? It might be nice having the bigger surface starting off on an incline. On the other hand, I don't know how much benefit there is, or if the cage impedes clipping in quickly.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

GregL
04-27-2020, 11:42 AM
I prefer this one. For MTB and cyclocross where I'm on and off the bike, I like a double-sided pedal. For gravel where I'm rarely off the bike (except for rest stops), I like the larger-platform, single-sided pedals.

Greg

notsew
04-27-2020, 11:50 AM
I use the "race" on my gravel bike (i.e., no cage) mostly because it's also my CX bike and I think it clears mud a bit better than the "trail" (cage) version. I have the "trail" on my MTB because its nice to have a larger platform when I'm looking for my pedal on a technical section of trail.

I don't think it matters for this application and I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference. Race is lighter.

donevwil
04-27-2020, 12:01 PM
I also prefer the A600s mentioned above, lower stack, freer float and best shoe sole contact area. Relative to your question (trail or race) I prefer the trail pedals. They have a larger platform engaging the bottom of the shoe that the race pedals, generally higher tier (XT, XTR) have more area than lower (520, 540). Shimano has added a lot more area in recent years, 540s or XT race pedals from a few years ago had minimal area allowing my wide feet to rock excessively. I avoided XTR during that time because I had an axle snap although Shimano has apparently resolved that. Race pedals now have more area than trail pedals 3-4 years ago so you're probably fine whichever way you go. The "cage" extensions add little to nothing IMO, just focus on shoe contact area, price and weight.

jtbadge
04-27-2020, 12:05 PM
IMO, YMMV, etc:
-the cage adds nothing
-dual sided only, who wants to fiddle with getting your pedal the right side up while navigating terrain
-four digit generation (M9000/M8000 or higher) seem to have more solid engagement with shoes than older versions

AngryScientist
04-27-2020, 12:08 PM
i have sampled quite a few versions of SPD pedals.

with stiff soled shoes, i can not tell the difference when riding.

Spdntrxi
04-27-2020, 12:11 PM

this.. I generally wear stiff carbon soled shoes... so I'm fine with "race" version.

Hikyle2
04-27-2020, 12:14 PM
I use a clipless pedal with a platform only on a mountain bike, I find it just allows me room for gripping the pedal if you don't clip in all the way and the trail gets rough.

With a hard enough sole on the shoe like carbon, the platform really won't do anything when clipped in.

robt57
04-27-2020, 12:32 PM

Me too. Worth mentioning that without stiff soles... Ouch! For me with my fat feet anyway..

Some wanna explain to me how Tiagra is Ultegra level??

EDIT: 292 grams... hmmm..

Davist
04-27-2020, 12:37 PM
M520s are all you need, no cage, last forever, low $$ so you don't feel bad banging them around in the dirt.. :) https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals

jtbadge
04-27-2020, 12:38 PM
M520s are all you need, no cage, last forever, low $$ so you don't feel bad banging them around in the dirt.. :) https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals

I have a few sets of these that have been totally abused and still work like new. Hard to go wrong.

robt57
04-27-2020, 12:41 PM

I used to grab 747s when ever I saw them in fair cond for fair price. A bike heavy, but hold up to any/everything pretty much.
I have 20+ year old 747s still quite serviceable...

My Allroad Strong has one side Ultegra SPDs, lower stack than the MTN pedals by a good bit if that is important.

merckx
04-27-2020, 12:44 PM
As mentioned, the additional cage on the trail spd models do not provide additional support. The PD A600 is a fine pedal, though it does not offer the unrestricted rotation that I desire. It's a little sticky as the rubber sole contacts the pedal surface area throughout the rotation range. I've added a little cleat spacer beneath the cleat, and ground the sole down a bit, but it still is not what I prefer. I also use Time XPro 10 road pedals that have very free rotation.

I am waiting impatiently for these to arrive on the market once we've had our fill of corona.

ColonelJLloyd
04-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Me too. Worth mentioning that without stiff soles... Ouch! For me with my fat feet anyway..

Some wanna explain to me how Tiagra is Ultegra level??

EDIT: 292 grams... hmmm..

I've never seen that pedal referred to as "Tiagra" by any other source. They are not part of any group, but pretty certain I've read Shimano's own literature refer to them as having "Ultegra level bearings". I honestly don't think it matters what you call them. This is thread is further evidence that pedals are not far removed from other dogmatic topics.

Veloo
04-27-2020, 12:54 PM
M505: they were OK but the plastic clip in platform was way too small and wore quickly

PD-A530: not bad for commuting, large platform is nice for times you just want street shoes

XT M8120: I like it for gravel and even some road, nice to have a larger platform especially when using it the odd time with street shoes

Would like to try Time Link and Speciale but they're pricey.

robt57
04-27-2020, 01:03 PM
I've never seen that pedal referred to as "Tiagra" by any other source. They are not part of any group, but pretty certain I've read Shimano's own literature refer to them as having "Ultegra level bearings". I honestly don't think it matters what you call them. This is thread is further evidence that pedals are not far removed from other dogmatic topics.

The '6' hardly denotes Tiagra, wouldn't that be '4'? ;)

Maybe just ad copy to have them be part of a line for the one looking at that level... I digress.

robt57
04-27-2020, 01:06 PM
I decided to get some Candy and run them on the gravel and all road stuff, and one MTB. Went back to SPDs after really trying...

For What Ever That's Worth. [FWETW?]