PDA

View Full Version : Abus Gamechanger

Shortsocks
04-27-2020, 07:50 AM
Hey folks

Looking at picking up one of these Abus Gamechanger Helmets.

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Bike-helmets/Road/GameChanger-gleam-silver-M

Im currently wearing Specialized Prevail II.

Other than the horrendous name does anyone have experience with these or any thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Gummee
04-27-2020, 08:06 AM
It's a good little helmet.

Despite all the aero claims for this and that, you still need to pedal the bike to go fast

M

charliedid
04-27-2020, 08:09 AM
ABUS makes great stuff, if the helmet fits buy it...you might like it.

I have one of their much cheaper helmets and love it. Have sold tons of locks and helmets from them.

benb
04-27-2020, 08:23 AM
Despite all the aero claims for this and that, you still need to pedal the bike to go fast

Distilled wisdom.. it's like this needs to be placed at the top of every page on the forum.

Shortsocks
04-27-2020, 08:42 AM
Cool.
Honestly the only reason Im looking at it is because I shave my head, and when i ride now, i get sun burns shaped like mg Prevail.

Dont like wearing bandanas or head covers.

The only issue i thought about was somehow if the unpadded area will be an irritant, specially on the top of my dome.

I dont have any retailers in Dallas that sell these.

charliedid
04-27-2020, 08:50 AM
Cool.
Honestly the only reason Im looking at it is because I shave my head, and when i ride now, i get sun burns shaped like mg Prevail.

Dont like wearing bandanas or head covers.

The only issue i thought about was somehow if the unpadded area will be an irritant, specially on the top of my dome.

I dont have any retailers in Dallas that sell these.

Excellent point regarding hairless dome!

Jaybee
04-27-2020, 08:57 AM
I also shave my head, but enough sunscreen has prevented (usually) the leopard spot tan.

Shortsocks
04-27-2020, 09:00 AM
I also shave my head, but enough sunscreen has prevented (usually) the leopard spot tan.

I LOVE THAT. The leopard spot tan. Been trying to figure out a good name for that. Try sun screen, burns the hell out of my eyes when my dome starts to melt.

Literally the definition of first world problems.

benb
04-27-2020, 09:18 AM
I've had a Bontrager Ballista for a couple years, the aero might have a little placebo effect that makes you feel faster.

If your head his shaved you probably don't have a heat issue so the aero helmets would help with the sunburn issue.

I haven't really found mine Ballista to really give me any heat issues.. I have thick hair but I keep it pretty short, I usually have it cut 1/4" on the sides/back and no more than 1/2" on the top.

But it's freezing here all the time anyway. :rolleyes:

What about some kind of thin microfiber headsock type thing under the helmet? Somebody's gotta have a bespoke made in Italy thing that is guaranteed to make you as cool as Il Pirata and somehow save a few watts while avoiding the sunburn.

wallymann
04-27-2020, 09:23 AM
an updated take on the Bell Stratos?!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LQwarWmDjO4/T_ngmBe2nzI/AAAAAAAAAbs/eIPB61o_lWw/s1600/5Ia5L35Ec3Md3Ia3o2c6e1486925634641b71.jpg

Shortsocks
04-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Ha!

The only thing that would make shaved head look as cool as Il Pirata, would be if I had the lactate threshold of the Man himself. Ironically my favorite cyclist of all time. :banana:

I bought the Mission EnduraCool Skull cap. Definitely the best Skull cap Ive tried, better than a Normal Bandana for sure. Way better for sweat Wicking. But Kind of just wanted a permanent Solution to Not having "Tiger Stripes" on my melon.

The worst part of this is that I have a Small head. And when I wear most Aero Helmets I look ridiculous. From what I've read about this helmet it sits the lowest compared to other helmets....Doesn't look bulbous.

duff_duffy
04-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Just thinking about the guys I sometimes ride with...between the poor form, loose attire, slow speeds, big bodies this helmet probably would do absolutely zero in having any measurable effect. Where is data point on safety and comfort? Sorry, I’m on market for different type of helmet if anyone has tips for the most comfortable cool helmet to use in warm weather.

This sounds too much like marketing hype to me, got to be tough to differentiate helmets!
With its Multi Position Design, the GameChanger redefines aerodynamics. The special shape reduces windage by minimising exposed surfaces, regardless of weather conditions, head-tilt position and inflow angle. Our innovative Forced Air Cooling Technology sucks in incoming air and channels airflow around the head...

mdeth1313
04-29-2020, 07:08 PM
I have the abus airbreaker. It's a good helmet. That said, it's a more traditional helmet and not like the gamechanger.