PDA

View Full Version : Is my freewheel/hub broken?

cetuximab
04-26-2020, 07:14 PM
The first is how far the freewheel body comes out.

The second is the normal position.

The cassette tightening nut was fully tightened.

The hub was a cheap hub and I have big legs.

Mark McM
04-26-2020, 08:16 PM
You don't mention the brand/model of hub, but if the freehub body can slide back and forth on the axle, it usually means that the endcap is loose. Many freehubs are held on by an endcap that is screwed into the end of the axle. Grab the both ends of the axle, and see if you can turn the cassette end independently. If the endcap is loose, you probably just need to tighten it down. Ends caps either have external hex flats (for an open end wrench), or the skewer hole has internal hex flats (for an allen wrench).

cetuximab
04-27-2020, 08:31 AM
You don't mention the brand/model of hub, but if the freehub body can slide back and forth on the axle, it usually means that the endcap is loose. Many freehubs are held on by an endcap that is screwed into the end of the axle. Grab the both ends of the axle, and see if you can turn the cassette end independently. If the endcap is loose, you probably just need to tighten it down. Ends caps either have external hex flats (for an open end wrench), or the skewer hole has internal hex flats (for an allen wrench).

I Love the paceline.

The end of the hub initially looked smooth and round. But after this helpful suggestion. I looked more closely and there are flat spots for a wrench to tighten.

Thanks Mark