PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite "cheap" thing?

vqdriver
04-26-2020, 11:29 AM
again, more shower thoughts

I'm digging thru a parts bin and discover a few multitools from various brands that eventually got pulled from service and I realize that I've migrated all my saddle bags to the cheapo performance brand E3 multi seen below. No fancy name or materials but these have the tools I need for 90% of foreseeable roadside repairs and 100% of what I've needed irl.
Fold flat means its a breeze to slide past a tube, also means its easy to gain leverage, each tool length is a good balance to get into small areas.

Dunno how much I've wasted on bougie multis

Fwiw no chain tool means nothing to me. I've had 3 multis with chain tools in the past and if it didn't snag on everything in the saddlebag then it was just too bulky. I do have one with chain tool in my mtb camelback tho...

Jaybee
04-26-2020, 12:30 PM
again, more shower thoughts

I'm digging thru a parts bin and discover a few multitools from various brands that eventually got pulled from service and I realize that I've migrated all my saddle bags to the cheapo performance brand E3 multi seen below. No fancy name or materials but these have the tools I need for 90% of foreseeable roadside repairs and 100% of what I've needed irl.
Fold flat means its a breeze to slide past a tube, also means its easy to gain leverage, each tool length is a good balance to get into small areas.

Dunno how much I've wasted on bougie multis

Fwiw no chain tool means nothing to me. I've had 3 multis with chain tools in the past and if it didn't snag on everything in the saddlebag then it was just too bulky. I do have one with chain tool in my mtb camelback tho...

Yes! I had one of these in the past too (lost in an unfortunate tool bottle ejection). Love how slim the profile is.

jb_11
04-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Bike related only?

Franmara two step cork screw with built in foil cutter:

Hikyle2
04-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Every year on ride your bike to work day a local shop would hand out a tiny bottle of dumonde tech chain lube. I always just grabbed them, not thinking about it until one year I realized I used them religiously and could store them anywhere like in the car. I no longer get them and it still bums me out.

steamer
04-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Cateye BC-100 cage. Cheap, indestructible, light, holds tight, and doesn't scrape or mark bottles.

oldpotatoe
04-27-2020, 07:15 AM
In spite of the below..and yup, I buy just about every spoke wrench I see, just to try it..but I still use the circled every wheel I build..basic Park SW-0

seanile
04-27-2020, 08:15 AM
pedro's tire levers:hello:

charliedid
04-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Velox (https://velo-orange.com/products/velox-bar) or Rustines (https://velo-orange.com/products/constructeur-bar-plug)bar plugs.

Gummee
04-27-2020, 08:21 AM
In spite of the below..and yup, I buy just about every spoke wrench I see, just to try it..but I still use the circled every wheel I build..basic Park SW-0

I haven't tried all of those, but the Parks are the ones I migrate back towards.

Park made their fancy version without the loop on the top that I don't like. I use that loop to 'brace' the tool against the spoke. Makes sure the tool is flat against the faces of the nipple so you don't round em off as easily.

About the only cheap tool that I don't mind using is an ancient Rivoli chain tool.

M

Tickdoc
04-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Would have to be my $6 emergency pouch. (the small one) Simple PVC plastic with a waterproof zipper....holds my spare tube, air inflator, mini tool kit, tire lever, and that is it. Too small for a phone, I tuck it in my middle back pocket as I detest seat bags.

Got it from countycomm....my favorite watch strap and odd prepper product store. I see they have gone up to $7.50 each.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1437/9632/products/rpvcwaterrepllantpouch2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571438699

biker72
04-27-2020, 09:45 AM
These gloves (https://tinyurl.com/y9pjqdu3)last forever. When I bought mine they were $8.29 a pair.

I use these gloves both on and off the bike. Touchscreen compatable.

lavi
04-27-2020, 11:36 AM
pedro's tire levers:hello:

Yup! Ze best $5 a person could spend.