PDA

View Full Version : OT: CD to mp3 ripper

pcxmbfj
04-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Want to convert CD's to mp3 format and all googles software recommendations are just sell pitches.
Looking for recommendations for software just to rip my purchased music to mp3 so it will be on computer.

Joel
04-26-2020, 09:40 AM
I just did a whole bunch of vinyl to mp3.

For the computer program used Audacity. It's free and works well, although it takes a few reps to figure out how to use it. Watch a few youtube videos. Be careful of the inbound audio level. Too low or too high and you get a garbage recording.

For the transfer, I bought a Behringer UFO202. It takes RCA cables in bound from the CD player (make sure you have some!) and then is a simple USB to your computer. Bought these from B&H photo.

Once the mp3's were cut, I saved them to my hard drive.

Then moved them over to I-tunes library and then to my phone.

None of this is audiofile level! It simply was getting a bunch of old records that I like built into a play list for riding the trainer while stuck at home

If any questions please reach out and I'll try to help.

Best,

Joel

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Want to convert CD's to mp3 format and all googles software recommendations are just sell pitches.
Looking for recommendations for software just to rip my purchased music to mp3 so it will be on computer.

Are you on a PC or Mac?

pcxmbfj
04-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Totally PC.

RobJ
04-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Audacity is the way to go. Even supports hi-res rips in FLAC format etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

choke
04-26-2020, 10:08 AM
This is pretty easy to use and is free.

https://www.eusing.com/CDRipper/CDRipper.htm

I use Exact Auto Copy to convert to FLAC. It doesn't have a mp3 option.

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 10:56 AM
If you just want to have music on your computer, won't iTunes (or whatever it became) do the job for you? I thought that iTunes would rip CDs and add them to the iTunes library...

blakcloud
04-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Others have given you good choices. The one that I use is cdRipper. It does cost but if I remember correctly it was inexpensive.

It rips to everything, VAV, FLAC, AIFF, MP3 etc. It also has a converter that you can switch back and forth between formats.

When it rips cd's it also finds the art work and verifies that digital record is correct. Highly recommended on my part.

foo_fighter
04-26-2020, 12:21 PM
Whatever you use, make sure it supports automatic tagging and rip to a lossless format first like Flac. You can always convert from lossless to mp3, but once in mp3 you will never get it back to its original quality.

ScottW
04-26-2020, 12:41 PM
I use foobar2000 both for playing and for ripping on Windows machines. About the only shortcoming is that it doesn't automatically grab album artwork, but it does everything else pretty well and it's free.

I would strongly recommend ripping to FLAC instead of MP3. It's a true lossless format, and it's supported by most other devices you might eventually want to stream to. The files are bigger than 320 kbps MP3, but disk space is cheap. Off the top of my head, ballpark guess, I think you can fit roughly 3 CDs worth of music into 1 GB of disk space using FLAC. Roughly 3,000 CDs per TB. Current pricing on 4 TB hard drives is about $100.

The MP3 format at anything less than 320 kpbs starts exhibiting audible artifacts in the treble, and the lower the bitrate (smaller files) the worse it gets. IMO the only reason to use MP3 at all is if you're intending to put them on a portable device that has limited storage space. But even then, you can convert from your full-res FLAC to MP3 as needed using foobar or whatever other software you choose.

tuxbailey
04-26-2020, 12:41 PM
If you just want to have music on your computer, won't iTunes (or whatever it became) do the job for you? I thought that iTunes would rip CDs and add them to the iTunes library...

Itunes works. That is how I converted my CDs to mp3s.

pdmtong
04-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Always rip to lossless first, then convert to MP3

It's possible to enjoy hearing a lossless file output through a real stereo system. Play a MP3 and it's like hearing a screeching clock radio.

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 07:53 PM
Always rip to lossless first, then convert to MP3

It's possible to enjoy hearing a lossless file output through a real stereo system. Play a MP3 and it's like hearing a screeching clock radio.

Agreed. I rip to FLAC and save on my NAS for play through iTunes or Plex...

Not sure the OP needed this level of fidelity though...the stated goal was to be able to play music through their computer...

kramnnim
04-26-2020, 08:44 PM
I always used cdex

pcxmbfj
04-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Playing around with MusicBee.
Seems to check the boxes and is free.
Can't get a folder hierarchy and uninstalling Windows Media Player brought warning though.
Thanks all for assistance.

josephr
04-27-2020, 08:42 AM
actually, windows media player is a great cd ripper...also use mediamonkey. the key to any ripper is to make sure you rip at a high level. i usually do 256 bit conversion....

really tho, my cds just sit in the closet and my digital collection is just back-up now since pretty much everything is on Spotify and available in a high bit-rate format. I have a decent cd collection, but stuff I wanted to listen to, but didn't want to invest in for my permanent collection...now much pickier about what I actually buy.

sjbraun
04-27-2020, 08:49 AM
I have an older Mac mini that we no longer use. I'd like to use it to store my cd collection and then play that music through my stereo. If I connect the Mac mini to my home receiver, is there an app that will allow me to control it with my iphone instead of a keyboard?

Thanks

pcxmbfj
04-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Cars only play CD and mp3.

C40_guy
04-27-2020, 12:15 PM
I have an older Mac mini that we no longer use. I'd like to use it to store my cd collection and then play that music through my stereo. If I connect the Mac mini to my home receiver, is there an app that will allow me to control it with my iphone instead of a keyboard?

Thanks

There may be a version of Apple Remote Desktop (or a third party) that runs on IOS. That would allow you to control Apple Music on the mini remotely. You'll need to make some minor changes in the configuration on the mini for access, and then you can run it headless (no monitor or keyboard necessary). You can also control it via any other mac on your home network. It's pretty bulletproof.

Also, Plex Media Server *might* be an option. You run Plex on the Mini and use the Plex IOS app to control selection, playback, etc. Plex is a free download and is pretty straightforward. I played with the Plex IOS app briefly but didn't see any way of selecting alternate output sources. Something to look into...

Or you could upgrade to a home receiver that has network connectivity and DLNA compatibility :) I have a couple of Denon 1913 AV receivers that can access my music, video and photo collections on my network, and Denon provides an IOS app for control. You can also get access to a variety of other stuff, including internet radio. Probably a bigger solution than you need, but... :)

zetroc
04-27-2020, 01:44 PM
CDex... for 20 years now. Still the best.

Old School
04-27-2020, 11:42 PM

Itunes will also delete the files (of the CD that you bought with your paperboy money at Record Barn) if Apple suddenly decides they don't like the look of your DRM.

Old School
04-27-2020, 11:47 PM
If you care enough about the quality of your CD>>>"FLAC", instead of CD>>>Mp3, then you owe it to yourself to make sure you are starting with the best CD. The difference in perceivable sound quality is staggering.

Plunge into the world of this:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

C40_guy
04-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Itunes will also delete the files (of the CD that you bought with your paperboy money at Record Barn) if Apple suddenly decides they don't like the look of your DRM.

Apple is funny that way.

In my case, I rip CDs to FLAC, and save them on my RAID5 NAS. Then I add the files to Apple Music manually. I also replicate my NAS to a second NAS weekly, and for the most part, have the original CDs collecting dust on a shelf.

I really don't like the idea of Apple (or anyone else) controlling my *purchased* media. Um, I should probably correct that...whether the music is on a CD or purchased via download, it's not actually purchased...it's licensed, and as such, the license can be revoked.

MikeD
04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
I haven't ripped a CD in a while, but EAC was considered the best program for that on a Windows box with the Lame encoder using variable bit rate mp3.

pcxmbfj
05-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it can be done but I'm no Mac user.
I would start in stages and get the Mac interfaced to your receiver.
When you have music through the receiver a "cast" app may let your iphone control it.
The web is vast.