PDA

View Full Version : Bike dork/ snob question: “best” road bikes ca. 1990-1992

Coffee Rider
04-25-2020, 11:08 PM
I’m looking to a silly discussion of what the “best” road bikes were in this time frame. Of the ones I knew at the time, it was Carbonframe (Calfee), Merlin, Merckx and Serotta.

Yes, I know this is largely a matter of historical bike snobbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 11:54 PM
Early 90s? probably we are talking Look... Carrera and Moser era bicycles IMO.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 12:33 AM
Early 90s? probably we are talking Look... Carrera and Moser era bicycles IMO.

I don’t think I really knew about Moser as a bike brand then and maybe just barely Carrera then.

choke
04-26-2020, 12:54 AM
DeRosa
Tommasini
Colnago
Ciöcc
Basso
Colnago

Fivethumbs
04-26-2020, 01:02 AM
A lot of pros were riding the carbon TVTs repainted in whatever the pro's team colors were. Pros teams were also riding Colnago, Lemond, Concorde, Basso, Panasonic, Zullo, Bianchi.

martl
04-26-2020, 02:34 AM
Steel frames of that era are pretty much interchangeable (and i say that as a collector). There are only so many ways a couple of the same tubes and the same 3rd party microfusione lugs can be thrown together, more or less ornamental lug details or a fancy paintjob doesn't change the way the bike rides, not even a prestigious brandname does.

The top of the top technology-wise were the first oversized aluminum tubing frames (Klein as a pioneer, Cannondale..) and the first CFK frame actually being better (instead of just different) aka Trek OCLV.

Spaghetti Legs
04-26-2020, 05:07 AM
I know carbon fiber frames were “around” and raced in the early 90’s but I’d have to say the first example of a carbon “best bike around” might not have been until 1994 with the Colnago C40.

The Merckx MXL is widely acknowledged as top end and I think was available in ‘91 or ‘92. I’ve never ridden one.

I have a 1995 Carrera that if my basement caught on fire, might be the one I get out first, and there are some nice bikes in there including a Cinelli and a DeRosa. I would infer an early 90’s Carrera would be just as good.

I have a ‘92 (I’ve guesstimated) Ciöcc made in pre oversized Columbus EL. It’s a nice riding bike but I’ve thought it might be better in a stiffer tubeset.

saab2000
04-26-2020, 05:39 AM
TVTs or Looks of this era would be my choice. I had Look 381 which I think was from about 2003 and it was a very nice bike, becoming the 481 then the 585, which we all know is a very nice ride from a largely bygone era of lugged carbon bikes.

BobC
04-26-2020, 05:58 AM
Paramounts

pooneej
04-26-2020, 06:03 AM
How about the Kestrels of that era.
Merlin and Litespeed were 'wow' bikes to me back then.
Serotta was aonther one

wallymann
04-26-2020, 06:11 AM
in the US it was serotta and merlin (and maybe paramounts for the cognescenti). merckx and litespeed were the next half-step down, just not quite at the same level of desireability.

this is not to say that colnago, pinarello, bottecchia, masi etc were not desireable...but they werent the ne-plus-ultra bikes in that era, at least in the US...ATMO of course!

buddybikes
04-26-2020, 06:16 AM
Bruce Gordon
Brian Baylis
Richard Sachs

Ryun
04-26-2020, 07:00 AM
Back then, the desirable bikes seemed to be the De Rosa, colnago and Merckx.
I was a young broke racer and had to make due with those lugged specialized epics.
I do remember when the Spago team started racing on Merlins and LA sheriffs in litespeed.
Definitely started seeing more of those.
The kestrel forks were ubiquitous but I never saw the frames with no seat tube catch on for road races

uber
04-26-2020, 07:00 AM
Spectrum.

CTracer
04-26-2020, 07:10 AM
Tough to define "best" but a lot was happening in the early 90's. In the Northeast we had Richard Sachs, Spectrum/Merlin were big, I had a Paramount myself as well as a couple of Kleins which were cutting edge at the time. I was also thinking about Parlee but they started in 2000. The Cannondale HQ was here in CT so they were everywhere. As far as the euro brands Colnago was popular (in both steel and carbon) as well as Bianchi and Merckx. The list goes on.....

mastaliu
04-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Paramounts

Yes, this. Schwinn Paramount Waterford OS 1992.

If Italian, some of the Bianchi Reparto Corse bikes from this era were great.

If Carbon, the LOOK KG176 from 1992 was super exotic.

Toeclips
04-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Marinonni from Canada were beautiful
3Rensho from Japan the same

Ken Robb
04-26-2020, 08:26 AM
The OP asked about "road" bikes but the answers seem to be what were the best road race bikes. I guess that shouldn't be surprising because just as with ca :)rs and motorcycles it's the high performance models that raise people's desire and enthusiasm.

How many cyclists lust after the best touring bikes or station wagons of that period?

saab2000
04-26-2020, 08:32 AM
The OP asked about "road" bikes but the answers seem to be what were the best road race bikes. I guess that shouldn't be surprising because just as with ca :)rs and motorcycles it's the high performance models that raise people's desire and enthusiasm.

How many cyclists lust after the best touring bikes or station wagons of that period?

The Buick Roadmaster of that era has a bit of a secret cult following. Especially in good condition with some engine mods.

gbcoupe
04-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Like this?

Toeclips
04-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Thinking Raleigh Technium
But I would still take a Marinonni
Even though I have Serotta

saab2000
04-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Like this?

Great minds think alike!

Btw, I had serious Merlin envy during this period of time.

zap
04-26-2020, 09:00 AM
I know carbon fiber frames were “around” and raced in the early 90’s but I’d have to say the first example of a carbon “best bike around” might not have been until 1994 with the Colnago C40.

I did some races on a Trek 2500 carbon/Al frameset in the late 80's. My crit bike was a Cannondale but those (I went through 3 framesets) was too stiff and beat me up on longer rides......hence the carbon Trek.

Early 90's......Kestrel, Merlin, Klein, Serotta. Colnago C40 was pretty much the carbon road racing frameset when it came out.

Just outside the time frame of this thread, but in '93 I purchased and put together a Look KG196 with Mavic Zap (;)). Fastest bike I ever owned but alas, my racing fitness dropped into the basement of cat4 hell.

paredown
04-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Yes, this. Schwinn Paramount Waterford OS 1992.

If Italian, some of the Bianchi Reparto Corse bikes from this era were great.

If Carbon, the LOOK KG176 from 1992 was super exotic.

I like this list--people forget that the use of O/S tubing by Paramount on a production bike was the beginning of a lot of experimentation

OtayBW
04-26-2020, 09:41 AM
DeRosa Primato in EL-OS, painted Ugo Blue, such as the one sitting here right next to me...:banana:

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 09:45 AM

Well....

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Great minds think alike!

Btw, I had serious Merlin envy during this period of time.

I had that more recently and went through a couple, until I found the right Cambridge-built ExtraLight. Rode that for several years until I found my C40.

Merlins were very special. Probably should have held onto the ExtraLight...and the Merlin MTB I had for a while but never built up...

Gummee
04-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Best is so subjective...

I had lust for an M2 S-Works.

If you want to talk about 'best,' you need to talk about who the pros had making their bikes: Cyfac, Land Shark, et al

M

Matthew
04-26-2020, 11:41 AM
Used to check out various stages of the Tour De Michigan way back then. Always lusted after a Coors Light Serotta, especially after watching Roberto Gaggioli out sprint the field. Always loved those bikes.

PacNW2Ford
04-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Agree with this. I was fascinated by Moninger’s feather weight Coors Light bikes. I bought and still have a ‘91 Paramount OS. The Bridgestone RB-1 was building its reputation as a solid mid-level choice at this time. One of my favorites would be Alcala’s WordPerfect Colnago Master Light.

GonaSovereign
04-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Well....

Probably the most desirable wagon of all time.

GonaSovereign
04-26-2020, 01:26 PM
In 1991 the Merlin road frame was pretty solid. The Klein Quantum was good, too. (Sadly, both had press-fit BBs. My 1991 Merlin MTB was otherwise perfect for the time.)

I had a Japanese Paramount that I liked a lot, and only swapped it when a Colnago Master Olympic came along in '95.

Velocipede
04-26-2020, 02:00 PM
Too many "BEST" road bikes from 90-92/94. Really tough to choose. If you are talking production frames, different story than customs.

CUSTOMS: Steel
Richard Sachs
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta
Bruce Gordon
JP Weigle

CUSTOMS: Aluminum

CUSTOMS: Carbon
No one made these as custom during this time

CUSTOMS: Titanium
Merlin
Fat City/Chris Chance

PRODUCTION: Steel
Bianchi
Paramount
Somec
Grandis
De Rosa
Colnago
Tomassini
Tommasso
Anything made but the Billato Brothers- LeMond included.
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta

PRODUCTION: Aluminum
Klein
Cannondale
Paramount/Schwinn
Cyfac made a bunch of peoples frames like MBK and others

PRODUCTION: Carbon
Kestrel
TVT
Look

PRODUCTION: Titanium
Merlin
Fat City

OtayBW
04-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Too many "BEST" road bikes from 90-92/94. Really tough to choose. If you are talking production frames, different story than customs.

Richard Sachs
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta
Bruce Gordon
JP Weigle

Merlin
Fat City/Chris Chance

Bianchi
Paramount
Somec
Grandis
De Rosa
Colnago
Tomassini
Tommasso
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta

Klein
Cannondale
Paramount/Schwinn

Kestrel
TVT
Look

Merlin
Fat City
So many 'bests', but what surprises me is with such a big list, no Merckx? ;)

Drmojo
04-26-2020, 02:07 PM
Ibis
Mooney

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:19 PM
DeRosa
Tommasini
Colnago
Ciöcc
Basso
Colnago

These are actually all shops/companies that I knew about then. For some reason, I wasn't excited about Colnago back then even though I sort of knew it was a big deal. I knew Basso since one of the local racing clubs when I started had Bassos. I also recognized Ciocc since the name itself seemed exotic to me. I also didn't know too much about Tomassini, but one of the other guys about my age got one and the paint job was really cool.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:21 PM

The Merckx MXL is widely acknowledged as top end and I think was available in ‘91 or ‘92. I’ve never ridden one.

I have a fascination with Merckxs from that era, particularly due to the 7-Eleven/Motorola connection. I would love to pick up a Century TSX from around then, but not too many of them show up in small sizes.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Steel frames of that era are pretty much interchangeable (and i say that as a collector). There are only so many ways a couple of the same tubes and the same 3rd party microfusione lugs can be thrown together, more or less ornamental lug details or a fancy paintjob doesn't change the way the bike rides, not even a prestigious brandname does.

The top of the top technology-wise were the first oversized aluminum tubing frames (Klein as a pioneer, Cannondale..) and the first CFK frame actually being better (instead of just different) aka Trek OCLV.

In one sense, the fact that everyone was basically building with the same tubes made it interesting since there was the big wonder about what the top guys were actually riding. Maybe it's just the idea that some builders just somehow had a magic touch. I have gotten wise enough since then to accept that the problem was never so much the inadequacy of the bike, but the rider.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Bruce Gordon
Brian Baylis
Richard Sachs

I'm pretty sure that I didn't know who any of them were at the time. Not knowing who Bruce Gordon was then is kind of funny since I'm now really into SOPWAMTOS bikes.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:30 PM
Back then, the desirable bikes seemed to be the De Rosa, colnago and Merckx.
I was a young broke racer and had to make due with those lugged specialized epics.
I do remember when the Spago team started racing on Merlins and LA sheriffs in litespeed.
Definitely started seeing more of those.
The kestrel forks were ubiquitous but I never saw the frames with no seat tube catch on for road racesr

My first high end bike was a 1992 Specialized Epic Pro. I didn't remember Spago and Merlins. I remember Spago (Spago/Finlandia IIRC) with the very fluorescent kits. There was also the amateur Spago team named for Puck's Frozen Pizza. I definitely remember those Kestrel forks as well as the Kestrel 4000 and then the 200 EMS and CSI. I eventually had a Kestrel Evoke ca. 2005-2007.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Tough to define "best" but a lot was happening in the early 90's. In the Northeast we had Richard Sachs, Spectrum/Merlin were big, I had a Paramount myself as well as a couple of Kleins which were cutting edge at the time. I was also thinking about Parlee but they started in 2000. The Cannondale HQ was here in CT so they were everywhere. As far as the euro brands Colnago was popular (in both steel and carbon) as well as Bianchi and Merckx. The list goes on.....

"Best" is completely arbitrary and silly, which is why I put it in quotes. I knew about Schwinn, but didn't really know about the Paramounts. I remember knowing about Cannondale since I remember their Black Lightning frames/bikes. I do have vague memories of being impressed by a 2.8 or 3.0 when we got back to the shop after one of the group rides.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Marinonni from Canada were beautiful
3Rensho from Japan the same

I recognized Marinoni since one of the local shops was a dealer. I'm pretty sure I didn't know about 3Rensho back then. I think the only Japanese brands that I was particularly familiar with were Bridgestone (I think I had an MB3 or something like that and remember the Al Radac in addition to the RB series), Nishiki and Panasonic (for their Ti frames) that I only knew about because of the IME-Panasonic team. This is making me think about the Nishiki International with the Mondrian paint job and Sante parts. I am such a dork :banana:

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Used to check out various stages of the Tour De Michigan way back then. Always lusted after a Coors Light Serotta, especially after watching Roberto Gaggioli out sprint the field. Always loved those bikes.

Although a bit after this time period since they didn't really come out until 1993, the Ti Coors Light Serottas were super exciting. I know have a 1992 Colorado II with the Coors paint scheme for eventually rebuilding.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Best is so subjective...

If you want to talk about 'best,' you need to talk about who the pros had making their bikes: Cyfac, Land Shark, et al

M

"Best" is silly, but good for discussions based on arbitrariness. I think the M2 was 1994, but could be wrong. I definitely did not know enough the be familiar with Cyfac then. I probably didn't even know Land Shark, though I remember hearing about Land Shark for the first time because of Andy Hampsten. I love the John Slwata paint jobs.

Velocipede
04-26-2020, 02:50 PM
So many 'bests', but what surprises me is with such a big list, no Merckx? ;)

I forgot a ton of them. I was just getting it rolling and organized more than anything. Didn't ever enough time to do more.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 02:53 PM

Richard Sachs
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta
Bruce Gordon
JP Weigle

Merlin
Fat City/Chris Chance

Bianchi
Paramount
Somec
Grandis
De Rosa
Colnago
Tomassini
Tommasso
Fat City/Chris Chance
Serotta

Klein
Cannondale
Paramount/Schwinn

Kestrel
TVT
Look

Merlin
Fat City

Since I'll never get the Ferrari F40 that was really hot back then (both since I can't afford it and would likely not spend that on a car if I even could), I think about bikes from my misspent tough. The ones on this list I know I didn't know about until later were Fat City (learned about them ca. 1993 due to the Slim Chance), Cyfac, Somec, Grandis and Billato. I actually didn't know about Grandis until this year and Billato until the past few. I'm already making a mental note about getting a 100th anniversary Grandis.

As I've gotten a bit older, I've gotten more interested in cycling history and knowing about things that were ahead of my time.

pbarry
04-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Calfee/Carbon frames were doing custom and production in '90-'91.

Fivethumbs
04-26-2020, 03:32 PM
We forgot about Pinarello with the tigged steel frames, and Pegoretti and Mondonico building under the radar for certain riders.

mhespenheide
04-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Carbonframes/Calfee, Spectrum, Merlin, and Serotta.

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 04:00 PM
In 1991 the Merlin road frame was pretty solid. The Klein Quantum was good, too. (Sadly, both had press-fit BBs. My 1991 Merlin MTB was otherwise perfect for the time.)

I had a Japanese Paramount that I liked a lot, and only swapped it when a Colnago Master Olympic came along in '95.

I don't remember the Merlin having a press-fit BB. I'm pretty sure that I installed standard square taper Campy BBs in a couple of Road frames and an ExtraLight. I don't recall what my Merlin MTB had...I never built it up.

*My* Master Olympic came along much later...in fact, it's still in the build process... :)

PacNW2Ford
04-26-2020, 04:16 PM
No mention of Masi?

My early 90’s fleet: the Paramount OS, Klein Performance (aka station wagon), Fat City Yo Eddy! Team Fat Chance. Would love to find a Slim Chance and a 10th Anniversary Fat Chance.

Toeclips
04-26-2020, 04:31 PM
I recognized Marinoni since one of the local shops was a dealer. I'm pretty sure I didn't know about 3Rensho back then. I think the only Japanese brands that I was particularly familiar with were Bridgestone (I think I had an MB3 or something like that and remember the Al Radac in addition to the RB series), Nishiki and Panasonic (for their Ti frames) that I only knew about because of the IME-Panasonic team. This is making me think about the Nishiki International with the Mondrian paint job and Sante parts. I am such a dork :banana:

Everytime I saw a 3RENSHO I would drool with everyone else

Cool thread wish I could own half these bikes

colker
04-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Road
Pinarello Montello. Basso Viper. Colnago Master. Serotta. Look. Merlin. Merckx corsa. Fondriest. Sancineto.

Mountain.
Salsa ala carte. Ritchey supercomp. Fat Chance Wicked (that´s the one that put Fat City on the map). Klein attitude. Merlin mountain. Brodie sovereign. Cunningham. Potts. WTB Phoenix ... my favourite early 90s mtb is the Ibis SS w/ Koski Fork.

Cross
Allan.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Best is so subjective...

The anodized M2 with a modern record 12 group and bora wheels. That would be hot...

Edit:
For what it’s worth, that frame will easily clear a 25mm tire. I can’t find a picture, but I restored my moms a while back. Silver mavic wheels, tricolor downtube group with a 7410 crankset, and 25mm clement tires with tan sidewalls. It looks and rides spectacular.

Gummee
04-26-2020, 05:16 PM
The anodized M2 with a modern record 12 group and bora wheels. That would be hot...

Edit:
For what it’s worth, that frame will easily clear a 25mm tire. I can’t find a picture, but I restored my moms a while back. Silver mavic wheels, tricolor downtube group with a 7410 crankset, and 25mm clement tires with tan sidewalls. It looks and rides spectacular.Rub it in why don'tcha?!

M

Fixed
04-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Eddy Merckx MX Leader Eddy Merckx MX Leader is a professional racing machine from the early-mid 90s

CNY rider
04-26-2020, 05:33 PM
I was in school back then.
I was riding my dad's hand me down Nishiki (about 10 sizes too big, but that's life when you're a student).
I went out for club rides with the Hudson Mohawk Wheelmen and a few guys had Serottas. I was more amazed when they told me we were about 5 miles from the factory on our ride that day.
I could not take my eyes off those bicycles......I had never seen a truly beautiful bicycle before.
Fast forward 20 years, I got a real job and my first "luxury" purchase was a Serotta Legend.
Which of course led me to this place.
And I'm very happy with the totality of the experience!

GParkes
04-26-2020, 06:18 PM
Sooooooooooo many labels to list. And given the period still being dominated by steel, the frames were pretty much interchangeable - SLX/SPX/TSX, 531/753, Ishiwata, Vitus GTI/TXO, they all had access to the same tubing. Except.....................Serotta was an innovator, and DK was building many of them with Colorado Concept tubing.

That being said, I had a custom order Concorde in cherry red with chrome stays and fork. It was made out of SL, and likely built by CIOCC. I really liked the PDM paint scheme and graphics, but didn't want to be like everyone else. I was talking about this frame today with a friend. I wish I never sold it. It was beautiful, and rode so nicely. I did eventually own two Serottas. Just my take on it.

smead
04-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Just rode my Moser Leader AX today and am again so impressed with it. Can't say if it was king of the hill in the early 90s, but man after getting off carbon and riding this, I really don't feel one bit slower, and relish the ride to boot!

gbcoupe
04-26-2020, 06:39 PM
Just rode my Moser Leader AX today and am again so impressed with it. Can't say if it was king of the hill in the early 90s, but man after getting off carbon and riding this, I really don't feel one bit slower, and relish the ride to boot!

I was riding a 3Rensho in the 90's. Stupid me sold it. I am however currently very much enjoying my Moser Leader AX.

Cheers to early 90's and other decades of quality handcrafted steel!

ERK55
04-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Eddy Merckx MX Leader Eddy Merckx MX Leader is a professional racing machine from the early-mid 90s

Absolutely.

ERK55
04-26-2020, 07:23 PM

Did about 25 miles yesterday on my ‘04 (Anniversary) MX Leader. Yeah a bit heavy, but nothing rides quite like it, especially when descending. Super steady on choppy pavement. And the fork looks so cool! Shame that for whatever reason the contemporary Max fork blades (?) can’t be bent... they are always straight. From charts I know that the STA was quite laid back on my 57 (72.39 deg). Wish I knew about the front end though eg HTA and fork rake. Apparently that was some sort of state secret.

PS the nice thing about the my version of the MX Leader is that with single pivot Campag Record brakes it can easliy accomodate 28 and maybe even 30c tires.

Fixed
04-26-2020, 07:23 PM
Not the greatest bike from the past but not bad either ,it rides very nicely And it looks brand new
I have to say shifting is a lot better on today’s bike
Cheers to All

djg21
04-26-2020, 07:50 PM
I got a Paramount OS in 1990. About the same time, Merlin was getting big. I hooked handlebars with someone in a sprint at the end of a race and destroyed the Paramount. It must have been in around1992. I got a Merlin Road.

Coffee Rider
04-26-2020, 07:55 PM
I was in school back then.
I was riding my dad's hand me down Nishiki (about 10 sizes too big, but that's life when you're a student).
I went out for club rides with the Hudson Mohawk Wheelmen and a few guys had Serottas. I was more amazed when they told me we were about 5 miles from the factory on our ride that day.
I could not take my eyes off those bicycles......I had never seen a truly beautiful bicycle before.
Fast forward 20 years, I got a real job and my first "luxury" purchase was a Serotta Legend.
Which of course led me to this place.
And I'm very happy with the totality of the experience!

There’s a reason that I consider myself a Serotta collector other than because it sounds better than hoarder [emoji12] I even rode one today.

bfd
04-26-2020, 08:08 PM
Calfee/Carbon frames were doing custom and production in '90-'91.

Actually, Calfee/Carbonframes has been making "custom" geometry frames from day one or around 1987.

link: https://calfeedesign.com/tetra-classic/

Good Luck!

thirdgenbird
04-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Rub it in why don'tcha?!

M

For what it’s worth, hers is tiny. It’s got to be the smallest size they made.

Toeclips
04-26-2020, 10:01 PM
There’s a reason that I consider myself a Serotta collector other than because it sounds better than hoarder [emoji12] I even rode one today.

I could have written those words myself, love my Serotta's

dddd
04-26-2020, 11:36 PM
I didn't see anyone else mention the Specialized Epic, it was my main bike back then so I'll put it out there.

Though having limited tire width clearances, I found the bike to be both stiff and comfortable for such a light and quick-steering frame (ok, the frame wasn't all that light).

I went through one today and took it for a 10-mile shake-down ride before having a buyer come by tomorrow.
Oddly enough, it had a Campagnolo triple right-side crank that worked well for me since I've been riding less these past two months. The left crankarmarm was mis-matched 105 and I got it all to work well finally using a shorter 107mm JIS bottom bracket.

GregL
04-27-2020, 07:53 AM
We forgot about Pinarello with the tigged steel frames, and Pegoretti and Mondonico building under the radar for certain riders.
Surprised no one mentioned this: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ebay-finds-indurains-1994-pinarello-banesto-team-edition-bike/. If the provenance of this bike is true, it’s a very cool example of the twilight of custom steel in the pro peloton.

In the early ‘90s, I was just getting hooked on road cycling. Some of the newer materials were interesting (Klein/Cannondale aluminum, Merlin/Litespeed titanium, Kestrel carbon fiber). However, nothing captivated my interest more than lugged steel. I drooled over the Merckx frames in the Colorado Cyclist catalog. Serottas were legendary in upstate NY, but they were out of my price range. I was saving for a Bridgestone RB-1, but they closed their doors after the 1994 model year. I had to wait a few more years to purchase a Mondonico-built Torelli. It was definitely worth the wait!

Greg

Gummee
04-27-2020, 08:04 AM
I didn't see anyone else mention the Specialized Epic, it was my main bike back then so I'll put it out there.

Though having limited tire width clearances, I found the bike to be both stiff and comfortable for such a light and quick-steering frame (ok, the frame wasn't all that light).

I went through one today and took it for a 10-mile shake-down ride before having a buyer come by tomorrow.
Oddly enough, it had a Campagnolo triple right-side crank that worked well for me since I've been riding less these past two months. The left crankarmarm was mis-matched 105 and I got it all to work well finally using a shorter 107mm JIS bottom bracket.

I had the S-Works carbon mtn bike of the same vintage. Still one of the best riding bikes I've owned. ...but we're not talking about mtn bikes.

M

John H.
04-27-2020, 12:02 PM
I have a slightly different take.

In Italian steel- Most of it had pretty poor paint and so-so finish work in general. They were not as popular as they are now. Maybe a few exceptions like the upper end DeRosas, and Merckx (Belgain)- Though the paint in Eddy's fell off if you looked at them wrong.

For production- Trek and Specialized Glued carbon were popular. Cannondale too- Mostly because they were all cheap, easy to replace, and available through shop deals.

But in my opinion the best racing bikes of that era were American steel. Lots of builders making both stock and custom steel. Lugs, but even more popular were tig and fillet. Brands like Serotta, Clark-Kent- Also local builders. Steelman was popular around me.

Hindmost
04-27-2020, 02:12 PM
...No mention of Masi?

Masi appreciation tapered off from a peak in the 70s. The US company and their products had gone through an evolution. The resulting bikes were not as sought-after.

Coffee Rider
04-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Masi appreciation tapered off from a peak in the 70s. The US company and their products had gone through an evolution. The resulting bikes were not as sought-after.

Now that I think back, I remember that one of the first bikes I saw in a catalog that made me think "wow" was a ca. 1988 Masi 3V Volumetrica (3 pounds, 11 ounces). I still think the older steel Masis are pretty good. I can't remember seeing any of these in my size for sale at any point in the past many years.

paredown
04-27-2020, 05:40 PM

I sort of thought there was another flurry of interest with the 3V?--O/S tubing, internal lugs (and by report) a fairly stiff frame for the time. But I guess it properly belongs in the late '80s, although they continued to make them into the '90s.

DHallerman
04-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Bruce Gordon
Brian Baylis
Richard Sachs

Chris Chance's Slim Chance
(love that bike)

DHallerman
04-28-2020, 09:04 AM
I don't remember the Merlin having a press-fit BB. I'm pretty sure that I installed standard square taper Campy BBs in a couple of Road frames and an ExtraLight. I don't recall what my Merlin MTB had...I never built it up.

*My* Master Olympic came along much later...in fact, it's still in the build process... :)

Merlin's with standard english threaded BBs didn't come to market until the mid-90s, after the timeframe in the thread's subject line.

bigbill
04-28-2020, 09:23 AM
That's when I was racing. I started on a Raleigh 753 which was a great bike. Moved on to a Litespeed Classic which was a terrible race bike. I then raced on an MX Leader which was much heavier than the Litespeed but such a good race bike.

For that era, tig welded steel with Italian name that would rust out in a season, lots of Litespeed, a few Merlins (they were pricey), Cannondales (I raced crits on a 2.8), a bunch of carbon Treks, the Lemond Treks, and Serotta.

Mike V
04-28-2020, 10:27 AM
They came in 92

Merlin's with standard english threaded BBs didn't come to market until the mid-90s, after the timeframe in the thread's subject line.

Coffee Rider
04-28-2020, 11:54 AM
(love that bike)

I don't recall knowing about Chris Chance until 1993, though I have really specific memories of a neon one. That was a hot bike.

Coffee Rider
04-28-2020, 11:56 AM

I recall someone getting a Merlin in 1993-1993 and it still didn't have an English BB.

Mike V
04-28-2020, 12:28 PM
My race bike for 92 season was a Merlin. Still have it. It has threaded bb.

Merlin sponsored our team. They came a couple months late. When we got them they had threaded bottom brackets. They told us that why they came late. We had to buy a bunch of bottom brackets and took a hit on the team budget. I had to do a couple a races on my crappy Medici.:banana:

jamesdak
04-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Well for me during that time frame I have two outstanding performers.

One is one of the preproduction PDG Series Paramounts done by Panasonic. A beautiful Tange Prestige tubed frame that does everything so well. It's even a very good climber even though it's no lightweight. It just is so stiff in the BB area and seems to put the power down well while not feeling harsh.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166081196.jpg

Then as mentioned earlier in the thread. The Billato built Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune is a really good performer too. This TSX tubed bike seems to take very little effort to get flying and seems to carry speed well late in rides when I normally tire and lose concentration. Like the Schwinn above, this bike has some of my PR's too.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166138354.jpg

I also have a wonderful De Rosa from this period and love how it feels on the road. It just doesn't seem to generate the pure speed the other too. So they are my votes as good bikes.

Ryun
04-28-2020, 01:26 PM
I don't recall knowing about Chris Chance until 1993, though I have really specific memories of a neon one. That was a hot bike.

My Chris chance is a bit more mid 90s but I still love it

buddybikes
04-28-2020, 02:02 PM
(love that bike)

You should of seen his original Chris Chance (brazed) frames circa 1982...

m_sasso
04-28-2020, 03:16 PM
Well for me during that time frame I have two outstanding performers.

One is one of the preproduction PDG Series Paramounts done by Panasonic. A beautiful Tange Prestige tubed frame that does everything so well. It's even a very good climber even though it's no lightweight. It just is so stiff in the BB area and seems to put the power down well while not feeling harsh.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166081196.jpg

James isn't this frame from 87 - 88 time frame, I have a 88 Prologue built by Panasonic, same frame different fork? So what year is your bike? Ok did some poking around, looking at your old first purchased pictures on Bikeforums, so no your Paramount frame is different.

mhespenheide
04-28-2020, 04:02 PM
James isn't this frame from 87 - 88 time frame, I have a 88 Prologue built by Panasonic, same frame different fork? So what year is your bike? Ok did some poking around, looking at your old first purchased pictures on Bikeforums, so no your Paramount frame is different.

The PDG were (slightly) oversized tubes, still lugged. I bought one on closeout in '93 or so, so a pre-production model could be '91 or '92.

54ny77
04-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Speaking of bike snob, whatever happened to bikesnob NYC? He was very funny initially, but then it got tiresome and played out.

P.s. allow me to put in any Colnago steel of that era. Especially the Super. Can't remember if the shaped Gilco tubing came out by then. Boy was that a newfangled shape .

Coffee Rider
04-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Then as mentioned earlier in the thread. The Billato built Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune is a really good performer too. This TSX tubed bike seems to take very little effort to get flying and seems to carry speed well late in rides when I normally tire and lose concentration. Like the Schwinn above, this bike has some of my PR's too.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166138354.jpg

I also have a wonderful De Rosa from this period and love how it feels on the road. It just doesn't seem to generate the pure speed the other too. So they are my votes as good bikes.

That LeMond. WOW. That takes me back. I remember as a teenager that Tim Imai had one. He was a local racer who was a contemporary of LeMond and had raced with him as a junior. I thought about saying against, though I'm not sure whether Tim was *THAT* good that he was actually competitive against LeMond at that age.

jamesdak
04-28-2020, 06:58 PM

Yeah the Prologue was a very good bike but different. In fact I had a 87 myself that I should last year as I try to downsize a bit. Since I kept the PDG over the Prologue I guess that says something about it. And I loved the Prologue!

jamesdak
04-28-2020, 07:03 PM
The PDG were (slightly) oversized tubes, still lugged. I bought one on closeout in '93 or so, so a pre-production model could be '91 or '92.

Yep, they started the series in 1992 and before that Panasonic did a set of these lugged Red, White, and Blue bikes to prove to Schwinn they could make a bike worthy of the Paramount name. They also did a set of all white ones they were "welded" vs lugged.

kiwisimon
04-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Breidgestone Neocot. I really liked that frame but gave it back to the guy when I moved on. It was actually taken to Barcelona in 1992 as a backup frame and before they went on sale to the general public. Much better bike than the RB-1 but without GP's enthusiasm in a shrinking market no way could Bridgestone continue in the US. Still a very light responsive frame.