PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions of Etap AXS

Vamoots58
04-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Been thinking about trying Etap for a while. Having been a 100% Campy guy for 15'sh years, it took me a while to pull the trigger. I am having a new custom Ti bike built, so perfect opportunity to try Etap while I'm waiting (and I can have the new frame built without any need for (gear) cable guides or EPS holes.

Couple of considerations for me, I am not abandoning my collection of campy compatible wheels, so gonna be a mix of components. I ended up with AXS RD/FD/Shifters, Campy 12-speed cassette, KMC 12-speed chain. I have been riding Rotor Q-Rings for several years and was hoping to be able to continue. Had I thought about (how many things that start that way turn out well !?!?!) I would have realized that the AXS FD was built for a max large chainring of 50T. So even my 'smallish' 50T Q is more like 52T at its max measurement. Needless to say, that didn't work, but I found a crazy deal online for a new Red 22 C2 crankset, so using that.

Found the pairing to be the ultimate in ease, literally. The installation was fine, albeit it is a bit 'fiddly' compared to setting up EPS. Micro-adjusting the RD takes some time. To be honest was a little worried, because on the stand, I could never get the set-up to be quiet, always felt slightly out of 'tune'.

Got it outside today for a quickie 25 mile test run, and it was really great. First, the drivetrain is SILENT, way quieter than my EPS was. I'll attribute some of that to brand new components, with zero wear, we'll see if that persists. Any worry of compatibility went out the window on a short, but really steep little pitch, up out of saddle, and super smooth. I wish just once, the component companies would be straight with the compatibility issue, wishful thinking I know, but... I found the shifting to be quick and certain. The shifting paddles have a good feel when shifting (realizing it's electronic). I did have couple of missed shifts, all attributable to me getting used to right for up, left for down, but it was getting more automatic at the end of the ride. I think the cranks have a narrower Q-factor than my Rotors, which I noticed Can't say I felt a big change going back to round rings, although one longish (for me) one mile climb didn't feel as smooth.

All in all really happy with AXS (albeit after one ride). If you're considering going that way, c'mon in the water's fine!!

eddief
04-25-2020, 07:48 PM
seems to have come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time to compete or win in a bunch of different segments. i own Di2 and Etap 11. like both a lot. nod goes to SRAM for big paddles and innovative shift logic and no wires. no rub against Shimano, but i tried both style of synchro shifting and i found that i, the pilot, was a much better judge of when to shift for my needs. one thing i like about both systems is how easy it is to compensate for the big difference in compact front chain rings with a couple of instantaneous clicks up or down on the rear derailleur.

Pinned
04-25-2020, 07:54 PM
SRAM AXS is the only way to go as far as electronic is concerned. I never really understood the draw of Di2 despite having and riding it frequently.

joosttx
04-25-2020, 07:57 PM
The shifts (axs Eagle) are as sharp and crisp and silent as day one. Supremely reliable system.

dbnm
04-25-2020, 08:03 PM
I have a new bike coming with a mix of Red and Force AXS and can't wait.

Vamoots58
04-25-2020, 08:05 PM
I should have added, that the one weak point for me with Campy was braking. I'm a rim brake guy, unlikely to change. Campy brakes always felt a little weak, I think there must have been a geometry issue with the levers and the leverage, i.e. cable pull just wasn't there. The AXS brakes are great!! Good tire clearance (25mm tubulars) and felt very solid, didn't have to give the levers the death grip to stop...

Spdntrxi
04-25-2020, 08:09 PM
SRAM AXS is the only way to go as far as electronic is concerned. I never really understood the draw of Di2 despite having and riding it frequently.

its lighter for one... AXS is a fat pig. I'd probably get it for a gravel bike but road it would be di2. Yeah I have old RED etap on 1 bike too.

R3awak3n
04-25-2020, 08:58 PM
I should have added, that the one weak point for me with Campy was braking. I'm a rim brake guy, unlikely to change. Campy brakes always felt a little weak, I think there must have been a geometry issue with the levers and the leverage, i.e. cable pull just wasn't there. The AXS brakes are great!! Good tire clearance (25mm tubulars) and felt very solid, didn't have to give the levers the death grip to stop...

hmmm that is strange, campy brakes are excellent, something must have not been setup correctly. And this from someone who has etap and will likely eventually upgrade to AXS. I really like the system.

many_styles
04-25-2020, 09:20 PM
its lighter for one... AXS is a fat pig. I'd probably get it for a gravel bike but road it would be di2. Yeah I have old RED etap on 1 bike too.

I guess it just depends on what people value. To install eTap, it can be done on almost any bike. I don’t think that’s the same with di2.

Because di2 is still “wired” is just another possible point of failure, just like a conventional shifter cables.

For weight, I’d glad trade the ease of installation, and how future forward eTap is for a few hundred grams. Weight can be lost elsewhere.

batman1425
04-25-2020, 09:42 PM
If you need a new group today the smart buy is AXS. It works great, shifts faster than the first gen etap stuff, sets up easy. To each their own, but I also find the ergonomics to be a lot better than Di2 as well.

Not to mention, 9100 is on the way out. 12s DA is going to be out in the next 6-12mo. No sense buying 11s shimano right now with a big upgrade looming. Performance hair splitting aside, I'd much rather have 12s Sram right now than invest in an equally expensive but soon to be replaced 11s shimano groupset.

FlashUNC
04-25-2020, 09:56 PM
AXS is the jam.

Pinned
04-25-2020, 10:39 PM

At most, it's 150g heavier. I don't think I'd notice that in a groupset to be honest. I'd gladly take that penalty to not deal with the Di2 wiring. I've been all Shimano as long as I've owned a road bike but this new AXS build has changed my mind about both SRAM and electronic shifting.

many_styles
04-26-2020, 12:59 AM
I also think SRAM is way ahead as far as innovation goes. Wireless shifting was the first step, but rethinking how shifting works was great, going with unconventional smaller chainrings to minimize large jumps between gear is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony
04-26-2020, 10:49 AM

Visually its a fat pig, but weight wise only 170 gr (claimed) difference.

Vamoots58
04-26-2020, 11:37 AM
I think the AXS RD is definitely 'chunkier' than EPS, I'd say it's roughly a wash on the FD...that being said, the overall set-up is so clean and uncluttered having removed the wires, the control units (i know Di2 can be hidden) - Really love the aesthetic...

Mark McM
04-26-2020, 11:56 AM
I also think SRAM is way ahead as far as innovation goes. Wireless shifting was the first step, but rethinking how shifting works was great, going with unconventional smaller chainrings to minimize large jumps between gear is good too.

I know SRAM claims that AXS has smaller jumps between gears, but this claim is false. The claim isn't just an exaggeration, it leaps the fence to being a straight up lie. We've gone over the numbers before (see previous threads), but for for the same range of gearing, AXS actually has Bigger jumps between gear sizes. SRAM can't change change the rules of mathematical ratios to serve their advertising claims.

denapista
04-26-2020, 12:39 PM

I honestly think people were skeptical of SRAM's past of durability... Shimano simply works and rarely fails. SRAM stuff was crappy in comparison. The playing field has finally leveled..

Dave
04-26-2020, 01:04 PM
As far as range is concerned, SRAM gave up range with their limited 13T difference at the crank. Campy's 11-34 sprocket spacing is also better, at least for me. I get the big jumps between the 19-22-25-29-34, where I need them. If the 29 isn't low enough, it's rare to find the 34 too low. It's only about a 10 rpm change. Even less if the slope forces me to reduce my cadence.

There's a big disconnect between the price charged for AXS on OEM bikes and the very high price charged for the groups, purchased to update an existing bike.

I bought two chorus 12 groups for about the same as one force 12 group.

SoCalSteve
04-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Been thinking about trying Etap for a while. Having been a 100% Campy guy for 15'sh years, it took me a while to pull the trigger. I am having a new custom Ti bike built, so perfect opportunity to try Etap while I'm waiting (and I can have the new frame built without any need for (gear) cable guides or EPS holes.

Couple of considerations for me, I am not abandoning my collection of campy compatible wheels, so gonna be a mix of components. I ended up with AXS RD/FD/Shifters, Campy 12-speed cassette, KMC 12-speed chain. I have been riding Rotor Q-Rings for several years and was hoping to be able to continue. Had I thought about (how many things that start that way turn out well !?!?!) I would have realized that the AXS FD was built for a max large chainring of 50T. So even my 'smallish' 50T Q is more like 52T at its max measurement. Needless to say, that didn't work, but I found a crazy deal online for a new Red 22 C2 crankset, so using that.

Found the pairing to be the ultimate in ease, literally. The installation was fine, albeit it is a bit 'fiddly' compared to setting up EPS. Micro-adjusting the RD takes some time. To be honest was a little worried, because on the stand, I could never get the set-up to be quiet, always felt slightly out of 'tune'.

Got it outside today for a quickie 25 mile test run, and it was really great. First, the drivetrain is SILENT, way quieter than my EPS was. I'll attribute some of that to brand new components, with zero wear, we'll see if that persists. Any worry of compatibility went out the window on a short, but really steep little pitch, up out of saddle, and super smooth. I wish just once, the component companies would be straight with the compatibility issue, wishful thinking I know, but... I found the shifting to be quick and certain. The shifting paddles have a good feel when shifting (realizing it's electronic). I did have couple of missed shifts, all attributable to me getting used to right for up, left for down, but it was getting more automatic at the end of the ride. I think the cranks have a narrower Q-factor than my Rotors, which I noticed Can't say I felt a big change going back to round rings, although one longish (for me) one mile climb didn't feel as smooth.

All in all really happy with AXS (albeit after one ride). If you're considering going that way, c'mon in the water's fine!!

So you are using the 11 speed Red 50/34 crankset?

CNY rider
04-26-2020, 03:49 PM
As far as range is concerned, SRAM gave up range with their limited 13T difference at the crank. Campy's 11-34 sprocket spacing is also better, at least for me. I get the big jumps between the 19-22-25-29-34, where I need them. If the 29 isn't low enough, it's rare to find the 34 too low. It's only about a 10 rpm change. Even less if the slope forces me to reduce my cadence.

There's a big disconnect between the price charged for AXS on OEM bikes and the very high price charged for the groups, purchased to update an existing bike.

What kind of bikes are you riding with Chorus 12?
Any clearance issue with the FD and a wide rear tire like a 700X38 dirt road tire?

Dave
04-26-2020, 03:58 PM
What kind of bikes are you riding with Chorus 12?
Any clearance issue with the FD and a wide rear tire like a 700X38 dirt road tire?

I have rim brake road bikes with 25mm tires. No dirt for me.

Blown Reek
04-26-2020, 04:05 PM
I have rim brake road bikes with 25mm tires. No dirt for me.

This is the only correct answer.

laupsi
04-26-2020, 05:58 PM
another life long Campy user. had EPS, didn't really care for it. have 12 spd AXS on new gravel bike, not that impressed. It's probably that I'm an old sod, but to me, nothing compares to mechanical shifing when it's properly dialed.

poff
04-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Red AXS disk rocks. Loose 5lbs riding it instead of complaining about its weight.

EB
04-26-2020, 06:44 PM
The 13T gap is lies. I’m running a 46/30 on force etap AXS with 0 issues. Setup was finicky as hell but that seems to the case no matter what. The stuff is solid.

Spdntrxi
04-26-2020, 06:59 PM

Dave
04-26-2020, 07:23 PM
The 13T gap is lies. I’m running a 46/30 on force etap AXS with 0 issues. Setup was finicky as hell but that seems to the case no matter what. The stuff is solid.

SRAM is the one that offers only 13 tooth difference on their cranks. No lies there.

Campy 12 shifts a 16 tooth difference with no finicky setup. Just follow the video instructions.

FlashUNC
04-26-2020, 08:18 PM
SRAM is the one that offers only 13 tooth difference on their cranks. No lies there.

Campy 12 shifts a 16 tooth difference with no finicky setup. Just follow the video instructions.

But Eli's point is you can run a 16 tooth gap. And a 46/30 with a 10-33 cassette is amazeballs.

SoCalSteve
04-26-2020, 11:27 PM

So, 50/34 would work too?

FlashUNC
04-26-2020, 11:51 PM
So, 50/34 would work too?

Sure, but 50x10 is....lorge....

oldpotatoe
04-27-2020, 06:39 AM

OE is where it's at for sram and shimano. NO surprise that OE bikes seem to essentially have a free group or free frame, price wise. 'Dumping'?? Maybe not but close.
another life long Campy user. had EPS, didn't really care for it. have 12 spd AXS on new gravel bike, not that impressed. It's probably that I'm an old sod, but to me, nothing compares to mechanical shifting when it's properly dialed.

Just get a mechanical 12s group from shimano or sr....oh never mind...:)

dpdan93
04-27-2020, 06:40 AM
what about the bottom bracket area? Is DUB any decent?

SoCalSteve
04-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Sure, but 50x10 is....lorge....

Ummm, yeah...I keep forgetting that my favorite gear combos are nowhere to be found with AXS...and, I’m too old and set in my ways to re-learn a new set of gear combos after spending innumerable amount of miles with 50-34—12-28.

I have a couple extra 11 speed etap groups stashed away. I’ll just stick with 11 speed.

FlashUNC
04-27-2020, 09:19 AM
what about the bottom bracket area? Is DUB any decent?

Been using it for a year now with no issues.

Vamoots58
04-27-2020, 09:50 AM
So you are using the 11 speed Red 50/34 crankset?

Yes - working quite well

lavi
04-27-2020, 11:33 AM
Just get a mechanical 12s group from shimano or sr....oh never mind...:)

I would generally agree with this. I'd take 11 or 12s Campy MECH. However, my bloodlust for eTap is that the setup is just so dang easy without futzing with wires/cables. For running a mech group on today's internally-routed-everything, that's a huge fat PITA to be threading/fishing new cables every year or so. If a frame has good ole external cable guides, no worries.

Also, yes, when Sram first came out, their bits (esp the shifters) was ****e. They loved to break. The fact that Sram was speedy and easy with their warranty replacements didn't really work for me. I don't want my crap to break, ever. For me, etap fixed all that. Whatever was "wrong" with the guts of their shifters and the doubletap mechanics was no longer an issue. On top of that, their mech shifters now either are just sorted, or are have more robust internals. I have Rival One on a bike with no issues.

That was drift. As far as AXS, I'm fine with the old 11s eTap. For now.

Greenlikeme
05-03-2020, 07:25 PM
May be the wrong thread but has anyone tries to put a microspline Shimano cassette with an axs RD?
The cassette options Shimano offers are enticing at 12 speed

jwin
05-03-2020, 08:46 PM
May be the wrong thread but has anyone tries to put a microspline Shimano cassette with an axs RD?
The cassette options Shimano offers are enticing at 12 speed

What are their offerings? On face value, I would expect it to work, but I'm not sure. It just depends on the pitch between the cogs.

John H.
05-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Shimano makes a 10-45 12 speed cassette if that is what you are referring to.
Could work well with certain 1x setups.
I see that Brad Bingham is using a 10-45 on his new gravel bike with AXS.

Dave
05-04-2020, 08:04 AM
If mixing and matching, I'd use a Campy chain or AXS chain, rather than KMC, which is the widest 12 speed chain. Even a SRAM eagle 12 is narrower.

I've been testing the AXS chain along with Campy chains on two Campy Chorus 12 bikes, since last July. No problems so far.

If trying an 11 speed crank, the AXS chain may be too narrow, between th inner plates.

JONATHANPATTIE
05-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Comes with bells, but not whistles. It is better on a Gravel bike and a road bike. For MTB it feels a tad bit sluggish and would be better if it had a more positive "click" to give signal of engagement. Left wanting it to be snappier on the MTB. The auto correcting feature on the rear has been tested and works well.

irideti
05-04-2020, 10:14 AM
I understand the 1st gen Etap drops chain when shifting from small to big ring frequently. Did Sram solve this problem with AXS?

FlashUNC
05-04-2020, 10:32 AM
I understand the 1st gen Etap drops chain when shifting from small to big ring frequently. Did Sram solve this problem with AXS?

Haven't had that problem with either generation of eTap.

lavi
05-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Haven't had that problem with either generation of eTap.

Ditto. Zero issues there.

It will drop a chain shifting to the big ring if you're an idiot bike wrencher and the chain is too long.

A friend told me this.

SoCalSteve
05-04-2020, 06:28 PM

It’s totally based on the way the install was done. Yes, it’s a bit finicky to get it right, but when you do...it will shift perfectly there after...:)

vqdriver
05-04-2020, 07:23 PM

yes, it does. and yes, it's installation related.

i'm on 11sp etap and i'mma be on it for a while. it's the best group i've been on, mech or electric.

Latestart
05-22-2020, 12:59 AM
I have (i) older red/force eTap, (ii) AXS on a new Scott, (iii) had Di2 on an older Scott.

Older eTap shifted slowly enough to be irritating. Didn't mis shifts, but you had to long-tap to be sure.

AXS on a new bike is really really nice. Fast, quiet, consistent, easy to install. and the gearing range is great. Not the best looking.

Loved Di2 once it was installed, light tap, shift happens. PITA to install and you had to carefully order all the overpriced wires. But after being set up, I never touched it other than charging and cleaning.

Still think campy mechanical SR is the best looking groupset, but I have never paid up to have it on a bike. Still have Ultegra mechanical on one bike and it is easy and reliable.

They all work, other than the older eTap, never really think about it much underway.

jwin
05-22-2020, 01:02 AM
I have (i) older red/force eTap, (ii) AXS on a new Scott, (iii) had Di2 on an older Scott.

Older eTap shifted slowly enough to be irritating. Didn't mis shifts, but you had to long-tap to be sure.

AXS on a new bike is really really nice. Fast, quiet, consistent, easy to install. and the gearing range is great. Not the best looking.

Loved Di2 once it was installed, light tap, shift happens. PITA to install and you had to carefully order all the overpriced wires. But after being set up, I never touched it other than charging and cleaning.

Still think campy mechanical SR is the best looking groupset, but I have never paid up to have it on a bike. Still have Ultegra mechanical on one bike and it is easy and reliable.

They all work, other than the older eTap, never really think about it much underway.

The AXS hoods are especially ugly in my opinion.

I’ve never setup Di2 but it looks horrendous. Also, the charging mechanism seems annoying - although I guess you don’t have to do it much.

Shimano needs to make a wireless version.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2020, 06:29 AM
The AXS hoods are especially ugly in my opinion.

I’ve never setup Di2 but it looks horrendous. Also, the charging mechanism seems annoying - although I guess you don’t have to do it much.

Shimano needs to make a wireless version.

Since this is a discussion forum..if YOU don't put the bike together, what question does wireless 'answer', what problem, real problem, does it solve?

Yes, yes, those ugly wee wires..:confused::eek:

Thinking function, not 'form'...

Elefantino
05-22-2020, 07:38 AM
I spend more and more time looking at AXS and wondering if it's worth dropping a large on a new group. Not there yet, but thinking about it.

jwin
05-22-2020, 11:08 AM
Since this is a discussion forum..if YOU don't put the bike together, what question does wireless 'answer', what problem, real problem, does it solve?

Well, I do put my bikes together and one thing that has steered me from Di2 initially is the number of parts I need to acquire and getting the lengths right, etc.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but it is initially overwhelming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kytyree
05-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Di2 charging is almost exactly like charging a cell phone and many many other items, except that with Di2 it's rarely needed, a non-event.

I can understand it being confusing to install at first, but there really are minimal parts to the system, almost no requirements in how they are plugged together and you can measure for the wires with a shoelace or cloth tape measure in a couple of minutes. I ordered the wires for the last Di2 bike I built using the frame geometry diagram off the internet before the frame arrived, you're not building a piano.

And while I understand Etap is easy to bolt to a bike, when I look at either of my two Di2 bikes there's maybe 4" of wire total that can actually be seen?

nmrt
05-22-2020, 11:29 AM
need to drop MUCH MORE than a large on a axs group. not to mention new freehub body in case you arent already running a xdr freehub. ;)

i entertain the axs idea every few weeks. and then i decide against it.

I spend more and more time looking at AXS and wondering if it's worth dropping a large on a new group. Not there yet, but thinking about it.

Elefantino
05-22-2020, 04:36 PM
need to drop MUCH MORE than a large on a axs group. not to mention new freehub body in case you arent already running a xdr freehub. ;)

Pro deal. Don’t need the crank or brakes.

gospastic
05-23-2020, 12:34 PM
Pro deal. Don’t need the crank or brakes.

Are you sure you don’t need the cranks?

FlashUNC
05-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Are you sure you don’t need the cranks?

You don't. Despite SRAM's public statements.

gospastic
05-23-2020, 11:11 PM
You don't. Despite SRAM's public statements.

What non SRAM chainrings are compatible?

FlashUNC
05-23-2020, 11:19 PM

Been running a Rotor round ring Aldhu crank for awhile now with no issues.

The FD will handle a 16 tooth gap.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 06:29 AM
Well, I do put my bikes together and one thing that has steered me from Di2 initially is the number of parts I need to acquire and getting the lengths right, etc.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but it is initially overwhelming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most don't...
if YOU don't put the bike together, what question does wireless 'answer', what problem, real problem, does it solve?

??

FlashUNC
05-24-2020, 08:22 AM

Fewer tiny plastic connectors to break on install. Fewer frame holes to bung up, fewer cables to re-fiah when/if something breaks. Infinitely easier to travel with than any other group out there. Replaceable batteries means if one battery dies the whole system isn't dead, and spares are easy to carry.

SoCalSteve
05-24-2020, 09:49 AM
Fewer tiny plastic connectors to break on install. Fewer frame holes to bung up, fewer cables to re-fiah when/if something breaks. Infinitely easier to travel with than any other group out there. Replaceable batteries means if one battery dies the whole system isn't dead, and spares are easy to carry.

You forgot ugly junction boxes....:eek:

Dave
05-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Campy 12 cranks work fine with the AXS chain.

gospastic
05-24-2020, 11:45 PM
Campy 12 cranks work fine with the AXS chain.

Are those cheaper than axs cranksets and worth having mismatched branding for whatever reason?

flying
05-25-2020, 12:03 AM
Mollema's voice about SRAM is forever burned into my memory ;)

https://youtu.be/Tsk3zAZyLaQ

FlashUNC
05-25-2020, 03:47 AM

Wiggins at least complained about Di2 with more panache: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YKC_hDg2Zg

marciero
05-25-2020, 05:19 AM
Di2 charging is almost exactly like charging a cell phone and many many other items, except that with Di2 it's rarely needed, a non-event.

From what I can tell, AXS would be out of consideration for longer brevets, ultradistance events, or even bikepacking. I'm seeing "600 miles of riding per charge". Which means you would have to bring two, four, or even six? extra batteries, since you need one front and rear. On the other hand, Di2 is used on Tour Divide, Trans Continental, etc.

R3awak3n
05-25-2020, 05:57 AM
From what I can tell, AXS would be out of consideration for longer brevets, ultradistance events, or even bikepacking. I'm seeing "600 miles of riding per charge". Which means you would have to bring two, four, or even six? extra batteries, since you need one front and rear. On the other hand, Di2 is used on Tour Divide, Trans Continental, etc.

I guarantee you people are using it on tour divide and other big races. On thise kinda of races you are gonna have a battery pack with you so you could have a set of spare batteries and just throw em on the charger. They charge really quick. You also going to be shifting the front way less than back so that should last a lot longer.

Not sure 600 miles is correct but from experience it sounds about right.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2020, 05:59 AM
you forgot ugly ginormous big batteries sticking out of the ders.....:eek:

fify....->:)

And for those who complain about the teeny, tiny junction box..how many of ya got disc brakes? Ya know, with that really pretty(not) flat disc rotor, big honking caliper and ginormous levers with a reservoir in it? ..and big fat fluid filled brake lines...

Dave
05-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Are those cheaper than axs cranksets and worth having mismatched branding for whatever reason?

Someone asked what other chain rings work with the AXS chain. I've used my 48/32 chorus 12 cranks with the AXS chain. No problem. Just by coincidence, a 48/10 is the same as a 53/11. With a 32 little ring, you get more range than a SRAM 48/35.

You could also use AXS shifters, FD and RD with all other parts Campy 12.

54ny77
05-25-2020, 10:30 AM
that is hilarious!

lavi
05-25-2020, 04:28 PM
Not sure 600 miles is correct but from experience it sounds about right.

This would be a new one for me. I'd say it's easily 1,000-1,500 if not more. Of course depends on conditions (cold or hot decreases batt performance) and also # and type of shifts (front shifting vs rear shifting).

I did a week-long 600 mile ride. Started with a full charge. Ended the week with both batteries still in the green (light).

I don't have AXS, but I cannot seeing it having less duration than plain eTap.

FlashUNC
05-25-2020, 04:31 PM

If you can charge your cell phone or a GPS unit, you can charge an eTap battery. Or just pack a couple extra. It ain't hard.

akelman
05-25-2020, 04:48 PM
I'm not entirely comfortable living in a world where SRAM is a serious option, but this thread is making me think I'd better get used to it. Change sucks.

Toddykins
05-25-2020, 09:10 PM
I gave up on Campy around the time of really disappointing Gen 1 Super Record EPS, have been on Di2 since the beginning and my next bike is going to have AXS. While it is sort of tempting to hold out for presumed 12 speed/pseudo-wireless Shimano, I think it is hard to look past AXS for a new custom right now. Why install wire ports which may or may not be useless/'forward compatible'?

bfd
05-25-2020, 10:07 PM
I'm not entirely comfortable living in a world where SRAM is a serious option, but this thread is making me think I'd better get used to it. Change sucks.

If mechanical shifting is your thing, I don’t think you have to worry. There’s always price point bikes that will use mechanical shifter. Think $2000-3500 “Ultegra” bikes and $1000-2000 “105” bikes, you won’t get e-shifting at those price points. E-shifting will start at $4k and up. Now this is all retail pricing and discount bikes will be cheaper, so you will find e-shifters under $4k, it will just be at the end of the year...

Or if you really want mechanical shifters, go Campy as their stuff works really well! :)

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

dbnm
05-25-2020, 10:30 PM
If you've not seen this, watch Tobias remove Di2 from his bike after crashing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXSW3TuYJQ

that's a lot of wires and cables.

Clean39T
05-25-2020, 11:47 PM
Well, my irrational desires got the better of me once again, so I'm going to dip a toe in the Red AXS water... Stay tuned for my initial impressions (in a couple weeks).

jwin
05-26-2020, 12:01 AM
I don't own any electronics groupsets and everyday I think about just pulling the trigger. Originally I was only looking at AXS, but after pain of bleeding a SRAM Force groupset and then some sticky piston issues vs. the ease of fixing up some Shimano hydro brakes I just want to get myself off of SRAM.

Di2 seems less of a hassle the more I think about it, and if I'm getting a non-custom bike that's already drilled for Di2, that issue goes out of the window.

Plus the availability of cassette options is so much better for 11-speed. That alone is a big plus for right now.

Eventually I'm sure everything will go wireless, but it's not like I keep bikes for that long anyways!

When in the next Shimano electronic groupset due to release? Anyone know?

Kyle h
05-26-2020, 05:40 AM
When in the next Shimano electronic groupset due to release? Anyone know?

They been pretty tight lipped but they run on 4-year product cycles and 9100 came out in 2016 so theoretically we should see it this year with availability next year.

Kyle h
05-26-2020, 05:41 AM
Did anyone here buy the complete rim brake AXS group on FB OSM for $2250? I was so tempted to jump in but the chainring and cassette sizes were no bueno for me which made a great deal less appealing.

oldpotatoe
05-26-2020, 06:04 AM
I gave up on Campy around the time of really disappointing Gen 1 Super Record EPS, have been on Di2 since the beginning and my next bike is going to have AXS. While it is sort of tempting to hold out for presumed 12 speed/pseudo-wireless Shimano, I think it is hard to look past AXS for a new custom right now. Why install wire ports which may or may not be useless/'forward compatible'?

I'm still using Gen 1 Athena EPS with zero issues for 7 years..what was disappointing'??

'Wire ports and or holes for shift housing'..I donno..be a shame to have to sell the frame cuz something wireless wasn't available anymore..or the potential new owner doesn't buy it cuz they ARE mechanical or wired electronic kinda guy...

Kinda like when lever mounted shifting was all the rage and some frame makers took the down tube shifter brazeons off for head tube cable mounted stops or just cable stops..no DT shifters..I know a minority 'way back then', but of the Waterfords we sold, 100% were DT cable stop/DT shifter brazeons..just to give the customer all the 'options'...

Kyle h
07-28-2020, 06:38 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDJ06IaF-y-/?igshid=3wlka575w1e3

AXS 53/39 rings pictures, I know these are on a team bike but maybe there’s hope for the rest of us!

Dave
07-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Try a Campy 12 crank. It will work, but some bikes won't allow the FD to go high enough to clear even a 52.

A 50/10 is the same as a 55/11 and 48/10 is the same as a 53/11.