PDA

View Full Version : Bike shop are booming! But ...

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 06:31 PM
don’t count on getting anything repaired or fixed in the near future. At least not if it’s anything like it is here in the Bay Area. Busted a spoke on a ride and the wheel got locked up. (had to hoof it home... yay SPDs!)

I checked with several shops. The wait is two weeks and change on average.
Good for them. I’m happy about that. I only have an “A” bike right now. So it’s back to the exercise bike for me.

It was fun while it lasted. Great time to be riding. Just hope you don’t have any mechanical damage. Or, better yet, know how to fix it.

AngryScientist
04-25-2020, 06:38 PM
don’t count on getting anything repaired or fixed in the near future. At least not if it’s anything like it is here in the Bay Area. Busted a spoke on a ride and the wheel got locked up. (had to hoof it home... yay SPDs!)

Good for them. I’m happy about that. I only have an “A” bike right now. So it’s back to the exercise bike for me.

It was fun while it lasted. Great time to be riding. Just hope you don’t have any mechanical damage. Or, better yet, know how to fix it.

perfect time to buy a set of back-up wheels!

if we were close, i would lend you a wheel.

that is good to hear that shops are able to work.

my casual observation today was that there are a ton of people out riding.

biker72
04-25-2020, 06:39 PM

Very true. We've had to hire new mechanics where I work just to keep up. Even then we are still running behind.

gbcoupe
04-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Replacing one spoke is super easy. Buy a replacement spoke, nipple and Park tool @ your LBS and go to it. You really don't need a truing stand. Your brake pads will do just fine. Match the tension of the other spokes. Don't adjust too much. You'll be fine. That said, you might be breaking more spokes soon. Keep an eye and plan on a rebuild.

Keep the mindset that it's already broken. Could you break it more? Yes, but you might just save a lot of time and dollars. Might just learn something as well.

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 06:44 PM
Replacing one spoke is super easy. Buy a replacement spoke, nipple and Park tool @ your LBS and go to it. You really don't need a truing stand. Your brake pads will do just fine. Match the tension of the other spokes. Don't adjust too much. You'll be fine. That said, you might be breaking more spokes soon. Keep an eye and plan on a rebuild.

Keep the mindset that it's already broken. Could you break it more? Yes, but you might just save a lot of time and dollars. Might just learn something as well.

haha. I would never ride a wheel I fixed. trust me.

4151zero
04-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Just waited 45 mins just to pickup brake pads I ordered online while lunching with my family at the local drive thru fast food.

Without a mask 😷 they refused to do business with you, but allowed a few poor souls to wait in line just to tell them that.

I had a 😷

prototoast
04-25-2020, 06:54 PM
Email me the wheel specs. If I have the right length spoke on hand, I might be able to fix it for you.

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Email me the wheel specs. If I have the right length spoke on hand, I might be able to fix it for you.

PM coming. Thx Dan.

gbcoupe
04-25-2020, 07:09 PM
haha. I would never ride a wheel I fixed. trust me.

Well, I tried.

fa63
04-25-2020, 07:11 PM
This is a true (and slightly absurd) story.

A couple days ago, someone made a post on one of the local cycling groups on Facebook that they needed a rear flat tire fixed. They had already called a couple shops, and were told it would be one to two weeks. I think there may have been some miscommunication there, but either way, they were still left with a flat tire.

Their posting said that they would pay $100 (not a typo) for someone to meet at their office and fix the flat. I contacted and told them that I would be happy to meet them there (I live close) and fix the flat for free. We made plans to meet up, and I fixed it in a couple minutes. When I finished (and fixed a couple other small things while there), they insisted that I take the money. I said no probably 10 times but they weren't budging. Finally, I told them I will take the money and make a donation to a local food bank. So I left with a $100 bill, and made the donation when I got home.

Crazy, but at least they are out riding again, and the food bank got a nice donation :)

Most of the shops around here are backlogged at least a week, most of them two weeks. My buddy who owns a shop said that people have been offering extra money for expedited repairs.

John H.
04-25-2020, 07:22 PM
Gotta know the right people-
Gotta not ride ghetto stuff-

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 07:26 PM
Gotta know the right people-
Gotta not ride ghetto stuff-

Dammit! That’s the issue. I have the HED Belgium Chris King R45D(g) wheels. Now I know what the “g” stands for.

jasonification
04-25-2020, 07:26 PM
Went to my LBS to pick up some shifter cables and talked to the dudes. They said sales were booming and their low-end mountain hardtails and hybrid bikes were backlogged! Also mentioned a 2 week turn around time for repairs. Good fellas all around.

tbike4
04-25-2020, 07:33 PM
I don't know what the workload is of the shop I usually go to at the moment. It's a roadie shop and I see them install a lot of new Campy groups on steel bikes so it's my kind of place. Haven't been by there since this all started. I am refurbing a friends bike that is used on a trainer and has lots of corrosion from sweat. I could not get the Octalink BB to budge for the life of me so I called the shop, he said bring it by. 20 minutes later I was at the locked shop door, handed him the bike and waited about 15 minutes for the work to be done.

I asked if I needed more work would it be the same routine, yes was the answer. I do almost all my own work except when I don't have the tool or I have thrown in the towel on something stuck.

joosttx
04-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Got to know the secret LBS handshake.

72gmc
04-25-2020, 07:56 PM
^^^ the handshake used to be a hand holding a half rack of good beer. What is it now?

CiclistiCliff
04-25-2020, 08:05 PM
We’re appointment only, half of our staff furloughed, the half left are working 10-12 hours a day. Lots of email and phone communication to assure the customer isn’t wasting their time with product we don’t have/have to order. Makes things better when the customer comes in knowing they have options.

1 - 2 day turn around.

My hands are sore.

joosttx
04-25-2020, 08:11 PM
^^^ the handshake used to be a hand holding a half rack of good beer. What is it now?

Relationships/ community

truth
04-25-2020, 08:21 PM

What type of wheel do you need, I've probably got a loaner in Berkeley you'd be welcome to. I also may have a spare spoke if you know the length.

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 08:39 PM
What type of wheel do you need, I've probably got a loaner in Berkeley you'd be welcome to. I also may have a spare spoke if you know the length.

Hey Truth -

Thanks for your generous offer. Much appreciated. I think Prototoast is going to hook me up, but I may circle back.

Cheers,

Josh

4151zero
04-25-2020, 08:41 PM
I’m in the east bay not far from Oakland airport. If you need a spare set of ultegra spec 10s wheels I would be glad to lend them to you.

zennmotion
04-25-2020, 08:49 PM
And I have Shimano 11sp wheels in San Leandro, PM me if you're in need. Rim brake only!

XXtwindad
04-25-2020, 08:56 PM
The generosity of the Paceline! Thanks guys! So cool.
PS If any of you saw a guy walking his bike up Redwood Road today in full cycling gear around Noon, that was me!

Matt92037
04-25-2020, 09:24 PM
That’s nuts! I could never imagine taking my bike to a shop to fix a flat. What does that person do if they flat on a ride? Makes me wonder what that person pays to replace a lightbulb that goes bad?

A couple days ago, someone made a post on one of the local cycling groups on Facebook that they needed a rear flat tire fixed. They had already called a couple shops, and were told it would be one to two weeks. I think there may have been some miscommunication there, but either way, they were still left with a flat tire.

Their posting said that they would pay $100 (not a typo) for someone to meet at their office and fix the flat. I contacted and told them that I would be happy to meet them there (I live close) and fix the flat for free. We made plans to meet up, and I fixed it in a couple minutes. When I finished (and fixed a couple other small things while there), they insisted that I take the money. I said no probably 10 times but they weren't budging. Finally, I told them I will take the money and make a donation to a local food bank. So I left with a $100 bill, and made the donation when I got home.

Crazy, but at least they are out riding again, and the food bank got a nice donation :)

Most of the shops around here are backlogged at least a week, most of them two weeks. My buddy who owns a shop said that people have been offering extra money for expedited repairs.

fa63
04-25-2020, 09:28 PM
That’s nuts! I could never imagine taking my bike to a shop to fix a flat. What does that person do if they flat on a ride? Makes me wonder what that person pays to replace a lightbulb that goes bad?Spend a couple days working at a shop, and you will realize how many people don't even know how to fix a flat :) I have also fixed flats for people who didn't know how to change flats on group rides. I don't judge anymore.

Matt92037
04-25-2020, 09:34 PM
I fix flats for random people on rides that i can tell are struggling. Just weird for me because I grew up in a house where we fixed virtually anything ourselves.

It’s all good though, if somebody is willing to pay $100 to fix a flat they are probably putting stupid amounts of hours in at the office.

nesteel
04-25-2020, 09:37 PM
At our shop, flat fixes are a walk in service. As far as booking sales, yes they are. It won't last long however; the supply chain is going to go dry, especially the low to mid range stuff. I believe Trek has already stated that the entire Verve production is gone, and there will be no more until 2021?

livesadventure
04-25-2020, 11:04 PM
My go-to shop is booking service for a month out. Much, if not most of that is people breathing new life into long untouched bikes. They’re also selling lots of bikes on all levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
04-25-2020, 11:26 PM
I’ve repaired or resurrected at least 5 neighborhood bikes in the last month or so. A few were folks whom I’d never met but they’d heard from word of mouth that I could help.

One elderly lady left her bike on the patio with a note and an envelope with $20 bill asking if I could “repair” her wheels. I spent close to $20 on new tubes, tires and got her some updated handlebar grips, removed about 8 years worth of dust and crap off of it. My 5 year old wanted her to have a bell so we got a bell and when I rode over to deliver it she was sitting out front with her friend and she was speechless. She thanked me 100 times and when I told her I didn’t want her money I just wanted to see her riding it she welled up with tears. Dammit if I wasn’t touched a bit too

But we have a close family friend that owns local shop and he said it’s the busiest he’s been in 10 years. They’ve hired supplemental staff also and they still can’t keep up.

I’ve spent way too much time at that shop and yes, you would be astounded at how many people can’t change a tire.

Hilltopperny
04-26-2020, 05:50 AM
My local shop has hired two new employees and says sales are up at least 20% from last season which was the best they’d had in the past decade. They are a couple of weeks out for most folks, but I still get the VIP treatment if I need to use a tool or have them look something over. I typically do my own wrenching, but if I don’t have the tools necessary for the job I bring my stuff down there to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddybikes
04-26-2020, 05:56 AM
We’re appointment only, half of our staff furloughed, the half left are working 10-12 hours a day. Lots of email and phone communication to assure the customer isn’t wasting their time with product we don’t have/have to order. Makes things better when the customer comes in knowing they have options.

1 - 2 day turn around.

My hands are sore.

Why reduce staff that much - move sales people to wrenching? Keep people working!

oldpotatoe
04-26-2020, 06:10 AM
That’s nuts! I could never imagine taking my bike to a shop to fix a flat. What does that person do if they flat on a ride? Makes me wonder what that person pays to replace a lightbulb that goes bad?

Call someone. Kinda harsh, eh?

Yes, I know it’s simple but lots who happen to ride a bike just don’t know how or don’t have the bits or........when I was in the bike shop trenches, I fixed flats all day..

For LBS’ being busy...people are at home, kids are at home...so lots riding their bikes. Good for bike shops and cycling biz in general.

Cgeisler
04-26-2020, 07:19 AM
take your bike mechanic a six pack of craft beer, whether he's busy or not....

blakcloud
04-26-2020, 11:44 AM
My wife wouldn't know how to fix a flat if her life depended on it. That's why she has me and in Japan she takes her other bike to the bike shop (old guy who just fixes flats on the sidewalk). Don't make the assumption that people who ride bikes are astute and mechanically inclined as many on Paceline.

I worked in sales at a bike shop many years ago. I must have changed well over 1000 flat tire while I was there.

Glad to hear some bike shops can keep afloat on repairs only. I was just reading that in Quebec, cycle shops were considered non-essential and this only changed to essential on April 3rd. Some bike shops were fined for being open before that.

Fixed
04-26-2020, 11:51 AM

Big swingin cycles is where I go now that I live in a condo
They are fast usually while I wait for small adjustments or minor repairs like a flat tire or change of tires

http://www.bigswingincycles.com/.
Cheers to All

(It pays to tip well with any service person imho)

charliedid
04-26-2020, 11:58 AM
take your bike mechanic a six pack of craft beer, whether he's busy or not....

It's a nice gesture but remember some mechanics are not men and some mechanics don't drink booze!

The problem is that many people think they are buying into a club with these gestures and expect something in return. Mechanics work hard and (good ones) deserve your return business more than beer.

Cheers and thanks for the beer!

XXtwindad
04-26-2020, 12:29 PM
Took my bike to Dan this morning. He's a bike builder/mechanic/economist/all-around great guy!

I had an opportunity to see his own handiwork while I was there. Took some pics. Only downside: he doesn't sell them commercially. Strictly eye candy for the Paceline. Check out the paint job and Ti chain stays (the rest is carbon)

Thanks again Dan!

batman1425
04-26-2020, 12:52 PM
It's a nice gesture but remember some mechanics are not men and some mechanics don't drink booze!

The problem is that many people think they are buying into a club with these gestures and expect something in return. Mechanics work hard and (good ones) deserve your return business more than beer.

^^^ This. It's a nice gesture for sure, and I always appreciate when I've been on the receiving end. That said - some stores have strict alcohol policies, and many folks don't drink. Cash tips are equally appropriate if your experience compels you to want to do something a little extra.

Monsieur Toast
04-26-2020, 01:50 PM
At the shop I frequent they're the ones offering me Hamm's and I try to tip them for service in cash. They also give me free tune ups for life that I take advantage of once a year since they built up my bike. I figure that's worth a $100 tip each time.

biker72
04-26-2020, 01:52 PM
Pigs in a blanket are quite popular where I work. Doughnuts of course and any homemade cookies won't last long. Alcohol is discouraged but permitted.

FlashUNC
04-26-2020, 01:54 PM

Beer don't pay rent. What he said. Give 'em cash.

godfrey1112000
04-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Got to know the secret LBS handshake.

$10💵💸gets you to the front of the line

pjbaz
04-26-2020, 07:35 PM

Was on a group ride last year/two years back and the shop owner and I were basically sweeping the Cs and having a tongue wag. Came up on a lady from our ride with a flat and her phone out.

Bill: "you okay?"
Lady: "I'm calling for a ride"
Bill: "why?"
Lady: "it's flat, what are we going to do?"

I handed Bill a tube and CO2 as he pulled her wheel off and got to work. Before she realized what was actually happening he was airing the wheel up and I was stowing trash in my pocket.

As we rolled away I looked at Bill and said "seriously?" he just :)

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 07:45 PM

...So I left with a $100 bill, and made the donation when I got home.

Well done.

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 07:50 PM

Sometimes they struggle to figure it out. Sometimes they count on the goodness of strangers.

It is up to us, the knowledgeable and kindly members of the tribe to take care of these folks. Someone did that for you once, showing you how things work.

Pay it forward.

Trust me, it sure feels good when you do...

CiclistiCliff
04-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Why reduce staff that much - move sales people to wrenching? Keep people working!

Shelter in place, first two weeks were pretty much totally dead.

Repairs are not the same volume as before. We can't have the doors wide open and social distancing/perception of what is 'essential' vs not 'essential' is dependent on individual. Those who see a bike shop as essential are the ones hounding us about our methods to keep them safe, but they are also the same customer who walks into a grocery without a mask and touches everything.

You can't run a business and keep the doors open if your payroll is 4X and sales are X.

Our appointments for this week are down 60% from last week, and no shop local to us has reopened. Go figure.

Hellgate
04-26-2020, 08:38 PM
That’s nuts! I could never imagine taking my bike to a shop to fix a flat. What does that person do if they flat on a ride? Makes me wonder what that person pays to replace a lightbulb that goes bad?I started at the University shop as a walk-in flat mechanic back in 1983. I made $3.00 patching a flat. To change an inner tube was $3.00 plus the cost of the tube. $5.00 total IIRC.

I could patch 4 to 5 flats an hour. That was when minimum wage was $3.25. I was in beer all week!

cinema
04-26-2020, 09:01 PM
One could probably post some flat fixing services on craigslist while we’re out of work and make a hundred bucks a day in a busy metro area

oldpotatoe
04-27-2020, 07:10 AM
$10💵💸gets you to the front of the line

Depends. We really rankled when somebody tried to bribe his/her way to a faster repair. We were very 'first come, first served'..whether it was a bigBUX wheelset or a rear der replace. BUT, yes, a tip for services rendered? A sixpack, always appreciated. Even if it was some sort of weird micro brew, funny label stuff..:)

'It's the thought that counts"
"I thought about tipping you"...:)

PETER REID
04-27-2020, 11:19 AM
my shop is open in southern Arizona in the afternoons by appointment only. My turn around time is 1 day or same day.

cgolvin
04-27-2020, 11:35 AM
Some weeks ago, at the start of the shutdown, I swung by my LBS in Santa Monica to have a headset cup removed (one of the few tools I don't own). The doors were open but someone was there to coordinate service handoffs and keep people out of the shop, except to pay. Took two minutes and I was on my way.

When I showed up Friday to have them press it back in, there was a line out the back and, when it was my turn to request service, they said it would take 30 minutes ("we have at least 10 flats to fix"). I almost volunteered to step in and fix flats if it would liberate a wrench to speed me up, but figured they wouldn't really welcome that. Took a photo of the line:

bironi
04-27-2020, 02:36 PM
I’ve repaired or resurrected at least 5 neighborhood bikes in the last month or so. A few were folks whom I’d never met but they’d heard from word of mouth that I could help.

One elderly lady left her bike on the patio with a note and an envelope with $20 bill asking if I could “repair” her wheels. I spent close to $20 on new tubes, tires and got her some updated handlebar grips, removed about 8 years worth of dust and crap off of it. My 5 year old wanted her to have a bell so we got a bell and when I rode over to deliver it she was sitting out front with her friend and she was speechless. She thanked me 100 times and when I told her I didn’t want her money I just wanted to see her riding it she welled up with tears. Dammit if I wasn’t touched a bit too

But we have a close family friend that owns local shop and he said it’s the busiest he’s been in 10 years. They’ve hired supplemental staff also and they still can’t keep up.

I’ve spent way too much time at that shop and yes, you would be astounded at how many people can’t change a tire.

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

gbcoupe
04-27-2020, 05:49 PM
Some weeks ago, at the start of the shutdown, I swung by my LBS in Santa Monica to have a headset cup removed (one of the few tools I don't own). The doors were open but someone was there to coordinate service handoffs and keep people out of the shop, except to pay. Took two minutes and I was on my way.

When I showed up Friday to have them press it back in, there was a line out the back and, when it was my turn to request service, they said it would take 30 minutes ("we have at least 10 flats to fix"). I almost volunteered to step in and fix flats if it would liberate a wrench to speed me up, but figured they wouldn't really welcome that. Took a photo of the line:

Not sure what shop my buddy in Santa Monica frequents. I'll have to ask. I don't think he's had a day off or meal before 10-11PM the last month in a half. Hopefully he can get out for a ride and clear his head sooner than later.

Good to hear that bike shops are doing a brisk business, but cheers to the front liners!

CiclistiCliff
04-27-2020, 11:53 PM
Here’s a new one for me: furloughed employees not wanting to come back when offered their positions back.

This is interesting.

CiclistiCliff
04-27-2020, 11:56 PM
Our appointments for this week are down 60% from last week, and no shop local to us has reopened. Go figure.

Welp, spoke too soon. Booked solid through Thursday. Worked 14 hours. Barely made a dent due to email and call volume.

fa63
04-28-2020, 06:10 AM
Here’s a new one for me: furloughed employees not wanting to come back when offered their positions back.

This is interesting.
This may be an unintended consequence of the stimulus plan. Those furloughed are getting an extra $600/week through the federal government, in addition to their state benefits. In GA, it comes out to $4K/month. I am not saying this is good or bad, but economically speaking, it makes more sense to stay furloughed as long as possible, especially given the risk of infection.

peanutgallery
04-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Why should they risk their health for less money? Situation is common these days. Only answer is to pay them more

This is interesting.

AngryScientist
04-28-2020, 06:41 AM

This is interesting.

how did the shop decide who was forloughed and who got to stay?

personally, if i were one of the employees who got the axe and my buddies were kept on the payroll, it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. i dont want to work for an employer who cuts off my paycheck at the first sign of trouble.

peanutgallery
04-28-2020, 06:52 AM
I'd have made you leave it outside the airlock and get your info over the phone. Call when ready and you pay over the phone, no one comes in the store. Gotta control the work flow or you're going to run yourself ragged for a bunch of needy/pushy folks with nickel and dime jobs

Why would someone expect while you wait service in the middle of a pandemic, anyways?

happycampyer
04-28-2020, 06:53 AM
Curious to hear whether the shops that are busy are actually profitable. Several LBSs close to me are offering free service to essential personnel, which I think is a great gesture.

Anecdotally, it seems as if more people are out riding for leisure, especially families. I rarely used to see families out riding, and now it seems pretty common. However, when I look at the bikes people are riding, it looks like they older, basic models. I suppose that leads to a lot of tune-ups and flat fixes. Amazon appears to be killing mom-and-pop retail (at an even faster pace than before, since mom-and-pop retail can't even stay open to compete)—hopefully LBSs can avoid that fate by providing service, repairs and some sales during the shutdown.

fa63
04-28-2020, 07:02 AM
According to my friend who owns a small shop (him plus one full time employee, plus some part-time help here and there), the answer is yes. He mentioned that he sold 45 bikes in the last week alone at MSRP, and did over 50 tune-ups of varying complexity. I know that service is especially profitable for him.

Curious to hear whether the shops that are busy are actually profitable.

Matthew
04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Drove by my local shop yesterday after weeks of being closed. Lot was practically full. I text my buddy who works there, he said he didn't even know they were open. Said he hopes they don't call him back as he's making way more money on unemployment. Shops are now essential according to our Governor.

Gummee
04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Spend a couple days working at a shop, and you will realize how many people don't even know how to fix a flat :) I have also fixed flats for people who didn't know how to change flats on group rides. I don't judge anymore.

This

There are people I wouldn't trust to fix their own flat.

I work for a VeloFix franchise. We're busier'n than all get out... but can typically be there in a day or so.

M

charliedid
04-28-2020, 07:46 AM
According to my friend who owns a small shop (him plus one full time employee, plus some part-time help here and there), the answer is yes. He mentioned that he sold 45 bikes in the last week alone at MSRP, and did over 50 tune-ups of varying complexity. I know that service is especially profitable for him.

I'm curious where this "small shop" is with a couple employees that sold 45 bikes and did 50 tune-ups in a week? Many small shops don't even have 45 bikes in shop. I assume some/many? are special order bikes and a "tune" is generic for a service ticket? If true color me impressed and very surprised.

Forgive me if this seems like an exaggeration but crazier things are happening.

fa63
04-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Shop is in Metro Atlanta. You are correct; most of the bikes were not in stock and had to be special ordered (I think they typically sell just a few bikes a week). They mentioned finding bikes to special order is becoming a challenge as well, as many are running out of stock from the manufacturer. You are right about the tune-ups; some are very simple and some more complex.

They have really been unbelievably busy. I have gone in a couple times to help with simple repairs just to help clear the backlog (I am unpaid; I go in from time to time just to help the owner. I have been staying away from everyone and just working on bikes) but even then it seems to keep growing. Crazy times indeed.

I'm curious where this "small shop" is with a couple employees that sold 45 bikes and did 50 tune-ups in a week? Many small shops don't even have 45 bikes in shop. I assume some/many? are special order bikes and a "tune" is generic for a service ticket? If true color me impressed and very surprised.

Forgive me if this seems like an exaggeration but crazier things are happening.

JAGI410
04-28-2020, 08:11 AM
It's about to get ugly for some shops. We can't build bikes fast enough, and it's quite likely we're going to sell out of bikes to sell under $1k. Repairs are out 2 weeks. Spring weather rush + covid dollars + parents wanting their kids out of the house = perfect storm.

charliedid
04-28-2020, 08:12 AM

Shop is in Metro Atlanta. You are correct; most of the bikes were not in stock and had to be special ordered (I think they typically sell just a few bikes a week). They mentioned finding bikes to special order is becoming a challenge as well, as many are running out of stock from the manufacturer. You are right about the tune-ups; some are very simple and some more complex.

They have really been unbelievably busy. I have gone in a couple times to help with simple repairs just to help clear the backlog (I am unpaid; I go in from time to time just to help the owner. I have been staying away from everyone and just working on bikes) but even then it seems to keep growing. Crazy times indeed.

Okay That makes sense. I think relatively well to do suburbs are driving much of this "boom" City shops are a mixed bag to be sure.

I do recall you mentioning Atlanta earlier.

Thanks, maybe I should move to Atlanta :)

peanutgallery
04-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Do you like traffic? Getting cut off every 30 seconds by a power mom in a Q7 who moments ago was motoring along in the HOV lane at like 90...all by herself? You'll love the ATL:)

Between the rush of stuff buying, bike shop vendors doing the direct to consumer end around, covid related delays from Asia... starting to notice some scarcity of basic products and bike availability. There's "stuff" available, but don't get picky. There's a bike company that starts with a big red S that's running pretty light on some popular and basic whips. This'll be an interesting question in another month

Okay That makes sense. I think relatively well to do suburbs are driving much of this "boom" City shops are a mixed bag to be sure.

I do recall you mentioning Atlanta earlier.

Thanks, maybe I should move to Atlanta :)

MikeD
04-28-2020, 09:44 AM
This may be an unintended consequence of the stimulus plan. Those furloughed are getting an extra $600/week through the federal government, in addition to their state benefits. In GA, it comes out to $4K/month. I am not saying this is good or bad, but economically speaking, it makes more sense to stay furloughed as long as possible, especially given the risk of infection.

So what happens when that federal money runs out? These people are likely to be unemployed for a long time after. The notion that all the jobs that were are going to be magically available when the economy opens up is foolish thinking. I think I'd take the job now, but of course that depends on the job. For a bike shop employee at the low end of the pay scale, maybe I'd stay out for a while.

charliedid
04-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Do you like traffic? Getting cut off every 30 seconds by a power mom in a Q7 who moments ago was motoring along in the HOV lane at like 90...all by herself? You'll love the ATL:)

Between the rush of stuff buying, bike shop vendors doing the direct to consumer end around, covid related delays from Asia... starting to notice some scarcity of basic products and bike availability. There's "stuff" available, but don't get picky. There's a bike company that starts with a big red S that's running pretty light on some popular and basic whips. This'll be an interesting question in another month

Agreed, this uptick may indeed be short lived due to lack of inventory and you are right about not being picky. Truth is I think the people driving this are in fact not really that picky. "Hey lets get some cheap bike and ride around"

On the other hand I have no idea ;-)

No not moving to ATL

AngryScientist
04-28-2020, 09:45 AM
i think any real boom is going to be reasonably short lived. people are generally bored right now and have a few dollars in their pockets.

i think this recession is going to get ugly and discretionary spending will be down across the board.

it does amaze me that in the times of covid and youtube, people would not just figure out how to change tubes. pretty amazing really.

my dad grew up during the great depression, and he instilled in me the concept of never paying someone to do a job you can do yourself. most old timers who lived through super lean times were the same. i'm a hack plumber, mechanic, electrician, carpenter and everything else because if that can-do spirit. i wonder if another major economic downturn will force some people to re-evaluate what services they spend money on?

i guess we'll see!

fa63
04-28-2020, 10:09 AM
I think there is a second possibility for bike shops. This virus will likely curtail demand for air travel for a while. Also, people have been spending more time outdoors, many on bikes which they hadn't ridden in years. It is possible that the lack of travel (meaning more money in pocket to do other things) and increased ridership could create more business for bike shops even in the medium to long term.

But as you said, we will see :)

fa63
04-28-2020, 10:10 AM
So what happens when that federal money runs out? These people are likely to be unemployed for a long time after. The notion that all the jobs that were are going to be magically available when the economy opens up is foolish thinking. I think I'd take the job now, but of course that depends on the job. For a bike shop employee at the low end of the pay scale, maybe I'd stay out for a while.
Yeah, choosing to stay unemployed is most likely not a rational decision for the long term :) But most people are quite short-sighted when it comes to decisions involving money.

charliedid
04-28-2020, 10:21 AM
I think there is a second possibility for bike shops. This virus will likely curtail demand for air travel for a while. Also, people have been spending more time outdoors, many on bikes which they hadn't ridden in years. It is possible that the lack of travel (meaning more money in pocket to do other things) and increased ridership could create more business for bike shops even in the medium to long term.

But as you said, we will see :)

I think you might be right. I think outdoor recreation could grow even larger and regional travel see an uptick. That said, depending how the economy restarts or doesn't as it were people may rely on currently owned goods vs wild retail spending. Might be a good time to own a lodge in the north woods that rents everything.

kevinvc
04-28-2020, 10:39 AM
I was chatting with a neighbor the other day who was out for a ride with his two young sons. One of them was on an old Specialized my son outgrew a few years ago. The other was on a Walmart special. I bet I can guess which one is going to have a more enjoyable riding experience.

cgolvin
04-28-2020, 11:52 AM
I'd have made you leave it outside the airlock and get your info over the phone. Call when ready and you pay over the phone, no one comes in the store. Gotta control the work flow or you're going to run yourself ragged for a bunch of needy/pushy folks with nickel and dime jobs

Why would someone expect while you wait service in the middle of a pandemic, anyways?

Granted it's anecdotal, but none of the people were "needy/pushy" -- they all respected social distancing when waiting to request service then either went back to their cars or waited patiently at an appropriate distance. I suspect the shop engenders a lot of goodwill and customer loyalty performing "nickel and dime" jobs for people who want to ride their bike. If I knew that high margin work was displacing mine in the queue I'd think twice about my loyalty.

Maybe it's better to wait than to force multiple car trips?

cgolvin
04-28-2020, 11:54 AM
my dad grew up during the great depression, and he instilled in me the concept of never paying someone to do a job you can do yourself. most old timers who lived through super lean times were the same. i'm a hack plumber, mechanic, electrician, carpenter and everything else because if that can-do spirit. i wonder if another major economic downturn will force some people to re-evaluate what services they spend money on?

Now we know why your handle is not AngryEconomist!

XXtwindad
04-28-2020, 12:03 PM
i think any real boom is going to be reasonably short lived. people are generally bored right now and have a few dollars in their pockets.

i think this recession is going to get ugly and discretionary spending will be down across the board.

it does amaze me that in the times of covid and youtube, people would not just figure out how to change tubes. pretty amazing really.

i guess we'll see!

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit. When is the “angryscientist” Titanium bike line coming out? (rim brake only!) If the head badge is your icon, I’ll spring for one :)

cgolvin
04-28-2020, 12:08 PM
If the head badge is your icon, I’ll spring for one :)

Nick goes head to head with Disney for rights clearance -- I'd watch that.

CiclistiCliff
04-29-2020, 02:15 AM
Why should they risk their health for less money? Situation is common these days. Only answer is to pay them more

We are already paying our guys a hefty percentage more than any bike retailer in Northern California. All of them are salaried with good benefits. Our platform has it so that myself and the other manager are the only ones who interact with customers. We have gone through gallons of Steramine, Lysol, alcohol and all other cleaning agents.

No one is being forced back to work, but most of the employees have been knocking on the door asking when they can return but when offered to return only three have opted to return.

how did the shop decide who was forloughed and who got to stay?

personally, if i were one of the employees who got the axe and my buddies were kept on the payroll, it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. i dont want to work for an employer who cuts off my paycheck at the first sign of trouble.

Assumptions are being made here. Look at the hospitality industry and many others: same scenario. We are covering the entirety of everyone’s health insurance plans (family plans are not cheap FYI), we ran a week of regular payroll to see how it panned out which in that time major businesses had already laid off a significant portion of employees or have completely shut down indefinitely.

Myself and one other have stayed on, running the operations, service, janitorial, communications, sales, receiving and shipping in an effort to keep the doors open for the guys to have a job to return to afterwards rather than shut down completely. As we have become busier, we have continued to bring back staff. And don’t think there’s money in it for me.

Changing topics: the sheer lack of childcare is a big issue right now. Some of our guys can’t come back as they have no school/camp/daycare to watch the kids. Extended families with aging family members can’t/aren’t too willing to help. There will be a universal ‘sorry, can’t/won’t return to work as I earn more on unemployment and have no options for childcare’ that will affect all industries in the next month.

peanutgallery
04-29-2020, 08:27 AM
So... your saying that a business should choke itself out with rinky dink jobs and it's terrible for them to prioritize those they make money on? Stay outta the C-suite :)

Granted it's anecdotal, but none of the people were "needy/pushy" -- they all respected social distancing when waiting to request service then either went back to their cars or waited patiently at an appropriate distance. I suspect the shop engenders a lot of goodwill and customer loyalty performing "nickel and dime" jobs for people who want to ride their bike. If I knew that high margin work was displacing mine in the queue I'd think twice about my loyalty.

Maybe it's better to wait than to force multiple car trips?

peanutgallery
04-29-2020, 08:43 AM
I feel your pain, small biz owners are struggling with a lot of issues that they didn't anticipate 6 weeks ago. What to do about employees is one of them. I am aware of a biz that got PPP, but in order to keep the $ and have the loan forgiveness... they had to beg a key employee to accept a paycheck over unemployment...and he's still staying at home while fellow employees work

Interesting times out there in the workplace. I can only imagine the litany of issues that the average HR pro is sifting through right about now. Probably right out of the script of a Coen brothers movie. Times like these you discover a lot about humans

We are already paying our guys a hefty percentage more than any bike retailer in Northern California. All of them are salaried with good benefits. Our platform has it so that myself and the other manager are the only ones who interact with customers. We have gone through gallons of Steramine, Lysol, alcohol and all other cleaning agents.

No one is being forced back to work, but most of the employees have been knocking on the door asking when they can return but when offered to return only three have opted to return.

Assumptions are being made here. Look at the hospitality industry and many others: same scenario. We are covering the entirety of everyone’s health insurance plans (family plans are not cheap FYI), we ran a week of regular payroll to see how it panned out which in that time major businesses had already laid off a significant portion of employees or have completely shut down indefinitely.

Myself and one other have stayed on, running the operations, service, janitorial, communications, sales, receiving and shipping in an effort to keep the doors open for the guys to have a job to return to afterwards rather than shut down completely. As we have become busier, we have continued to bring back staff. And don’t think there’s money in it for me.

Changing topics: the sheer lack of childcare is a big issue right now. Some of our guys can’t come back as they have no school/camp/daycare to watch the kids. Extended families with aging family members can’t/aren’t too willing to help. There will be a universal ‘sorry, can’t/won’t return to work as I earn more on unemployment and have no options for childcare’ that will affect all industries in the next month.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2020, 08:59 AM

i guess we'll see!

I've been thinking the same, but only if there is some duration to this event. If, if, somehow the economy bounces back strong (which the crazy stock market is telling us), then all bets are off. Personally, I cant see it, but, who knows. Cruise bookings are strong for next year, believe it or not, to just mention one attitude that hasn't been broken. But, yeah, certainly, a lot of people are going DIY if times get tougher. Like cooking. There is a huge shift going on right now from restaraunts of all types to home kitchens. Doubtful many will even want to go back out to eat soon, and restaraunt owners will not be able to open with half and more of their tables gone. The entire industrial food production economy is going through massive shocks trying to adapt from fast food consumption to supermarkets.
Maybe we'll see the brakes put on the high end bicycle market like we saw in 08, and this may last longer. That may benefit the local shop that has adapted well to the maintenance side, as riders realize that the fifteen year old bike is just fine to use with a few new parts and some wrenching by an expert.

FlashUNC
04-29-2020, 09:01 AM
I feel your pain, small biz owners are struggling with a lot of issues that they didn't anticipate 6 weeks ago. What to do about employees is one of them. I am aware of a biz that got PPP, but in order to keep the $ and have the loan forgiveness... they had to beg a key employee to accept a paycheck over unemployment...and he's still staying at home while fellow employees work

Interesting times out there in the workplace. I can only imagine the litany of issues that the average HR pro is sifting through right about now. Probably right out of the script of a Coen brothers movie. Times like these you discover a lot about humans

There's a provision in the loan guidelines that if you've furloughed someone who doesn't want to come back, you can hire their replacement instead and that will not count against the forgiveness review.

Also only a minimum of 75% of the loan must go to cover payroll expenses. The remainder can be used for other qualifying business expenses and still be completely forgiven.

MikeD
04-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Apparently the Missing Link bike shop in Berkey CA is having money problems and has a GoFundMe page set up. https://www.missinglink.org I wonder what the story is there?

peanutgallery
04-29-2020, 09:33 AM
Easier said than completed at the moment

There's a provision in the loan guidelines that if you've furloughed someone who doesn't want to come back, you can hire their replacement instead and that will not count against the forgiveness review.

Also only a minimum of 75% of the loan must go to cover payroll expenses. The remainder can be used for other qualifying business expenses and still be completely forgiven.

FlashUNC
04-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Easier said than completed at the moment

No argument there, but with 26 million people out of a job right now, I think the hope is someone would be interested.

CiclistiCliff
04-29-2020, 11:23 AM

The SIP is essentially allowing individuals to choose to not return. Lovely.

The PPP can’t be taken as a business loan with a 1% interest rate if not dispersed for payroll. Some industries are opting for this as it gives them the opportunity to weather the storm a bit longer as they can not open. Hospitality, wineries, etc.

AngryScientist
04-29-2020, 11:27 AM

The PPP can’t be taken as a business loan with a 1% interest rate if not dispersed for payroll. Some industries are opting for this as it gives them the opportunity to weather the storm a bit longer as they can not open. Hospitality, wineries, etc.

what have the individuals cited as their reasoning for not returning to work?

just curious.

cgolvin
04-29-2020, 11:44 AM
So... your saying that a business should choke itself out with rinky dink jobs and it's terrible for them to prioritize those they make money on?

Yes, that's my saying.

Stay outta the C-suite :)

Gladly, I've already spent too much time there. Best wishes for your service business.

Red Tornado
04-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Yeah, choosing to stay unemployed is most likely not a rational decision for the long term :) But most people are quite short-sighted when it comes to decisions involving money.

I second that notion.

Know of folk who refuse, or plan to refuse, to go back to work. Making more on the dole than when working and planning to "ride the gravy train" as long as possible, probably until the extra $600 goes away. So people like that expect essential workers to keep on working for the same $ and put their health at risk so that the gravy train riders can shelter at home to protect their health and, in some cases, make out like bandits financially. SMH :no:

Monsieur Toast
04-29-2020, 12:14 PM
I second that notion.

Know of folk who refuse, or plan to refuse, to go back to work. Making more on the dole than when working and planning to "ride the gravy train" as long as possible, probably until the extra $600 goes away. So people like that expect essential workers to keep on working for the same $ and put their health at risk so that the gravy train riders can shelter at home to protect their health and, in some cases, make out like bandits financially. SMH :no:

If you refuse to go back to work / accept a job offer you are no longer eligible for unemployment. Every week when you file it asks you if you were offered a job. Plain and simple.

You can roll the dice and lie on your weekly unemployment filing, but it's obviously fraud and if you get found out you owe the government all money you have collected since the offer, plus fines.

FlashUNC
04-29-2020, 12:23 PM

Not entirely correct. A minimum of 75% of the loan proceeds must to go payroll costs, but there are other covered business expenses that also count under the forgiveness program. Obviously if a business wants to use it 100% for payroll that's fine, but small businesses do have some wiggle room in what is an acceptable Use of Proceeds for the loan.