PDA

View Full Version : Really frugal (umm, cheap...) repair vs replace water bottle cap?

teleguy57
04-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Can anyone recommend a product to glue a tear in a Camelbak water valve bite valve? I know bottles aren't that expensive but if something can glue the food-grade flexible plastic I'm up for that. Thanks!

fbhidy
04-25-2020, 10:17 AM
I believe they have a lifetime warranty on the cap, contact them as I think they've sent my wife a couple replacement caps in the past on flip top water bottles.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

C40_guy
04-25-2020, 10:19 AM
Can anyone recommend a product to glue a tear in a Camelbak water valve bite valve? I know bottles aren't that expensive but if something can glue the food-grade flexible plastic I'm up for that. Thanks!

How about a replacement bite valve? I'd rather go that route than try gluing. Even have a choice of colors, sizes, other options on Amazon...

p nut
04-25-2020, 10:48 AM
My Salomon soft flask got a leak. Not in the bite valve but in the bladder. I simply got some super glue, dabbed some on, then sprinkled baking powder. Done.

Figure it would work the same on a bite valve. Doesn’t really need to be flexy.

C40_guy
04-25-2020, 11:01 AM
From Locktite (https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/know-how/fix-stuff/super-glue.html):

"Remember that super glue is generally not food safe."

Might try Rhino Glue, as it is listed (https://www.worldsafety2018.org/best-food-safe-glue-you-can-buy/) as being foodsafe.

I'm following this as I used SuperGlue to bond the stainless top lid of my Bodum french press to the plastic lower lid, after the two separated. It's possible that hot coffee can come in contact with the glued area, due to a small crack in the plastic. I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Unfortunately, Bodum doesn't sell the lid as a separate replacement part.

pdmtong
04-25-2020, 06:28 PM
if you call camelbak they will send you a new valve...just pull the torn one off the cap and push the new one on.

teleguy57
04-25-2020, 06:42 PM
Thanks, all. Will ping them on Monday.

OtayBW
04-26-2020, 08:40 AM
OT - but for me, the Specialized 'Watergate' is the best bottle cap I've ever used. :)

Mr. Pink
04-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Just a thought. If and when local triathlons come back, note the date and time and bike through the route right after they've left, with a small pack. Those people discard new water bottles like sloppy fast food eaters throw Big Mac wrappers out the window of their pickup trucks.