PDA

View Full Version : Best bike(s) for heavier riders

bthomas515
04-24-2020, 12:27 PM
I have some family members looking for bikes in hopes of weight loss. They’re in the 250-300 pound range. Was seeing if anyone had any recommendations about bikes built for larger individuals. I’m imagining them riding casually around a bike path or neighborhood, so nothing crazy but durable.

mhespenheide
04-24-2020, 12:30 PM
If you don't mind used, early Cannondales.

Bentley
04-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Honestly I think an all Aluminum “cruiser” style bike is a good way to get started. I think it needs less in the way of “fitting” and the rider position is “comfortable” also, good for running errands and will provide adequate excercise.

I had a boss that was looking to lose weight and he bought one and proceeded to lose 80# with a combination of exercise and improved eating habits.

That’s my opinion... sure you will hear others

Ray

Ralph
04-24-2020, 12:57 PM
I like Electra Townie's for people who aren't really into cycling. Who just want to ride around some and use up some calories. They are aluminum frames with steel forks....or most models anyway. And cheap parts that work fine. Have eyelets for racks and fenders also. And some models even come with racks and fenders. Since feet are more forward on the Townie style...seats can be wider for more comfort without rubbing thighs. I think they are great for just riding around. Cheap too.

My wife's E bike is an Electra Townie Go 8D. Mid motor. It's a cruiser style like mentioned above. Since she is not a "cyclist" and doesn't give a toot about things we talk about on here, I've had a chance to learn about comfortable bikes....for just riding...Going to store...library, etc. Kickstands and chainguards....things I haven't had on a bike for 50 years....have a purpose for non cyclists.

I realize few on here would be caught dead on one. But think they would hold up for weight and use you mention.

SoCalSteve
04-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Whatever style bike you choose, make sure the wheels are heavy duty with a large spoke count.

kevinvc
04-24-2020, 01:07 PM
I would recommend flat bars as opposed to drops. Keeping them as comfortable as possible, especially when just starting, is critical in order to keep them motivated to stick with it. Big gearing is good too.

And let them know that finding a saddle that works for them can be hard. If the first one hurts, it's not a natural part of bike riding that they just have to ignore.

zzy
04-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Unless they're very tall - an old 26er MTB. The frames are very durable, lots of lower gear options, good cheap brakes, strong high spoke count wheels that take 2" tires, and easy to use flat bars. Plus they can ride it wherever they feel comfortable. See how many miles they get out of it before considering a $1000+ new bike.

I always put on some fast semi slick 2"+ tires (Schwalbe Big Apples) and V brakes (with the right levers). Finding the right saddle (WTBs are good) and grips (Ergon) can be a challenge but even a bit of daily riding can make a big difference with otherwise sedentary heavy people.

JAGI410
04-24-2020, 08:45 PM
I like Electra Townie's for people who aren't really into cycling....

I realize few on here would be caught dead on one.

I f'n LOVE my Townie. It's simply a great bike for cruising around. No special outfit needed. Thrives when pedaled by sandal clad feet. I even posted it in the Production Bikes section ahead of my more conventional bikes because I love it so dearly.

And yeah these certainly fit the bill for larger riders. I've sold them to a few 350+lb riders and they do just fine. If you're in the market for one and find it at the LBS, buy now. They are sold out in the warehouse and won't be back until late July (thanks Covid).

PSC
04-24-2020, 09:19 PM
I agree about Townie Electra, my wife loves hers. She had a standard one and we recently upgraded her to the E bike model this winter, makes riding much easier and she's riding more.

whateveronfire
04-24-2020, 09:43 PM
As a former heavier rider, I have to say, pick carefully, but don't worry too much. Steel or aluminum, decent wheels and you're good to go. Flat or drop, doesn't matter. Anything that gets your riding and feel as comfortable as it can. ride the hell out of it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Cycling=best exercise for the heavy looking to not be.

Fivethumbs
04-24-2020, 10:53 PM
I have an Electra Townie for when I go bike path riding with the family. It's a good bike.

Ozz
04-24-2020, 11:16 PM
my wife has an Electra Townie (theme here?) and the times I have ridden it, it made my knees hurt....pedals too far forward of saddle for me....hers is about 10 yrs old though.

oldpotatoe
04-25-2020, 06:41 AM
I have some family members looking for bikes in hopes of weight loss. They’re in the 250-300 pound range. Was seeing if anyone had any recommendations about bikes built for larger individuals. I’m imagining them riding casually around a bike path or neighborhood, so nothing crazy but durable.

Linusbike.com
publicbikes.com

Sold more than a few of both. Well made, big tires..

charliedid
04-25-2020, 07:37 AM
I'm with the TOWNIE crowd.

NYCfixie
04-25-2020, 07:39 AM
Whatever style bike you choose, make sure the wheels are heavy duty with a large spoke count.

As a former heavier rider, I have to say, pick carefully, but don't worry too much. Steel or aluminum, decent wheels and you're good to go. Flat or drop, doesn't matter. Anything that gets your riding and feel as comfortable as it can. ride the hell out of it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Cycling=best exercise for the heavy looking to not be.

I think the "fitness" type bikes from Trek and Specialized are good value for money and a great place to start. Unless the person is well over 300 lbs. any modern bike should work as long as the wheels are durable. You want at least 28 spokes in front and 32 in rear. I would have suggested 36 front and rear but nobody makes wheels with that many spokes these days unless you go custom which will add a few hundred dollars to the overall cost.

I recently looked at this segment for my younger brother and his wife who are getting into cycling. The value options appear to be $550-$650 for bikes with a steel or aluminium fork with mechanical disc brakes and in the $650-$750 range you upgrade to a carbon fork and hydraulic brakes. I could only find 1 bike with rim brakes and it was a Trek with really crappy components and only in leftover models from last year.

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 11:20 AM
Op... i imagine friends are average joes that dont want to spend a lot of money either and probably they wont ride more than an hour or two aswell....

Honestly? I would try to find in CL old 80's non suspension specialized type of MTB bikes. Reliable, easy to fix and they wont be expensive at all. Just try to find the right size of them tho. Mentioning that because I have a rockhopper with no suspension and the bike is just fantastic... my kids love it. Everything can be improved in that one with the exception of disc.