PDA

View Full Version : Who in here is hardcore enough to ride in cold windy rain?

pooneej
04-24-2020, 10:09 AM
I was hoping to ride today but its just a cold windy rainy day down here in southern NJ. I would have no problem running in conditions like this but riding: no way can I see it as even close to tolerable.

texbike
04-24-2020, 10:21 AM
I was hoping to ride today but its just a cold windy rainy day down here in southern NJ. I would have no problem running in conditions like this but riding: no way can I see it as even close to tolerable.

Different world here. We're expecting a record-breaking 96 degrees here in Austin today. I'm planning rides to avoid the heat and UV. ;)

Texbike

unterhausen
04-24-2020, 10:33 AM
I rode in cold windy rain yesterday. Not so laudable though, when I left it was just windy. Not going out in the rain today, maybe two rides on the trainer.

FlashUNC
04-24-2020, 10:37 AM
Usually on the trainer, but if you've gotta go out, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rule #9.

I will say even a set of Raceblade clip on fenders make the experience far more tolerable.

RonW87
04-24-2020, 10:41 AM
I've found there is a huge difference between starting a ride in dry weather, even if you know you're going to get soaked, and starting out in the rain.

AngryScientist
04-24-2020, 10:42 AM
there is no bad weather, just bad clothing choice.

that said, nope, i'm not going out there today, it's nasty.

tomorrow though, is looking great in NJ. you bet i'll be out there pounding out some miles.

teleguy57
04-24-2020, 10:50 AM
Depends on how you define cold and windy. At almost 66 I've become less enamored of heading out in wet conditions, althought I'm good riding into the 20s and even in pretty windy conditions. Part of it is that I have good clothing for that, and I have this warped sense of accomplishment when I think I'm in my flahute mode.

And if I'm a mile from home when it starts raining I'll usually keep going. Last week was an exception. 37F, 20mph but the weatherman promised I had abou 90 minutes before the rain arrived. 10 minutes into my ride the rain/sleet starting coming at me sideways and I gave in, turned around and came home.

Having a rain/fender bike makes cold/wet/wind more tolerable too. Problem is when I take out my good bike and things change -- and I do love my Alliance and am less enthused about taking out my Scattante aluminum if I think I can avoid the wet.

4151zero
04-24-2020, 10:51 AM
sounds like no fun, and my handling skills in that type of weather with cold hands and feet would be very bad.

have fun and stay safe!

unterhausen
04-24-2020, 10:54 AM
had to check the weather. Not supposed to rain any more between now and Sunday. Might have to go out later when it warms up a bit more and skip the second ride on the trainer

Ralph
04-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Even in Florida....rain comes from way high up...so is cold. So cold rain and 60's temp....no thanks.

Another reason not to ride in rain....unless you are on a trail with few roads crossing....people in cars with wipers going, can't see you well. It's dangerous.

cnighbor1
04-24-2020, 11:05 AM
Seattle 1971 thru 2000

notsew
04-24-2020, 11:07 AM
I'll ride in a NW drizzle, but rain, rain. Pass.

Steve in SLO
04-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Although I am in coastal central California, there are times when the temperature gets down to the 20s and it is windy and raining/sleeting and I will go out for a ride. Those days are mountain bike or cyclocross rides, so less wind chill, and clothing choices are paramount. I kind of enjoy it...must be my Dutch blood.

pdmtong
04-24-2020, 11:16 AM
I've found there is a huge difference between starting a ride in dry weather, even if you know you're going to get soaked, and starting out in the rain.

^ so true.

I one spent 80 miles riding in the rain from moderate to heavy with wind.
It was absolute misery. It started from Morgan Hill up Sierra Road to the ToC KOM and back. The only respite was being in a flapping tent waiting for the KOM. And even that was miserable. Spend that long in the rain and it doesn't matter what clothes you have on.

At least get some fenders. That helps a lot.

Saxon
04-24-2020, 11:17 AM
At almost 66 I've become less enamored of heading out in wet conditions.

This is where I'm at. As I get older, I get less inclined to ride in harsh conditions. When I was younger, I didn't really care what was going on outside. I'm glad I rode yesterday here in NorCal when it was in the 70's as today it's supposed to hit 90.

NHAero
04-24-2020, 11:21 AM
I ride almost every day. Heavy rain like today is the universe telling me I need a rest day.

jemdet
04-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Brooklyn here. It’s not that bad! Pouring earlier. Shorts (but still gloves) weather right now.

Andy sti
04-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Depends what you're trying to gain. Do you just need fresh air? Are you trying to get a specific workout in? Are you trying to be cool or a badass?

If it's just outdoor time you could really bundle up and just plod along and be fine. If it's for a workout you're better off indoors. Can't help if it's just so you can say you did.

jamesdak
04-24-2020, 11:43 AM
I laugh in the face of a cold rainy day! :p:p

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/162200883.jpg

Krenovian
04-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Only if I get caught out. That doesn’t make me hard core, just a poor judge of the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p nut
04-24-2020, 12:02 PM
I don’t have a trainer so I go out. Preferably on a bike with fenders. But some of my most memorable rides have been on a fender less bike in inclement weather.

Only time I refuse to go out is if it is icy.

ThasFACE
04-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Much as I love riding, wind/rain make it kinda miserable for me. Heavy wind in particular. At some point it turns everything into work and not fun, and if it's just gonna be work, I'd rather go full idiot and destroy myself with weights/burpees/whatever.

spoonrobot
04-24-2020, 12:36 PM
5 years ago? Sure I'd HTFU. Current year? No thanks I'll go for a short hike and pack it in when it's nice out :)

Seramount
04-24-2020, 01:13 PM
cold is not that big of a deal, but I def avoid 'wet' regardless of temps.

Homey don't play dat...

biker72
04-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Windy and cold yes. Rain no.

pooneej
04-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Different world here. We're expecting a record-breaking 96 degrees here in Austin today. I'm planning rides to avoid the heat and UV. ;)

Texbike

WOW. Now that is my kind of weather. Last summer I would run mid-day during hot humid summer. Cannot wait for those days !!!

madsciencenow
04-24-2020, 01:51 PM
I have no issue with it. Not a fan of starting out with rain but I’ve done it when the trainer wasn’t available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redir
04-24-2020, 02:13 PM
I used to ride when it was real cold but never in cold rain unless I was unlucky enough to get caught in it. Now I don't even go out under 45 degrees F unless I am commuting to work and I can tolerate maybe 30 deg F.

It's just not worth it.

Davist
04-24-2020, 02:25 PM
On the way out? No. On the way home? Yes..

2 weeks ago got caught in a flash hailstorm about 2 miles from home, 40+mph winds, thought I'd be bleeding from how bad the hailstones hurt my face. Took a hand off to shield my face, forgot about the wind for a second and nearly ended up in the ditch. In rain, full fenders make a HUGE difference as others have said.

Hilltopperny
04-24-2020, 02:27 PM
I ride outside in all conditions throughout the year. The only time I really avoid it is if winds are above 35MPH as I worry about limbs and debris, but aside from that I prefer being outdoors over a trainer.

bigbill
04-24-2020, 02:32 PM
1997 Seattle to Portland, back in the day when the one day riders left on the second day. Rolled out of the Kingdome parking lot in windy, 48 degree temps with a steady rain. I rode the first 145 miles with my rain jacket on. A friend did it with me and if we had both bonked at the same time, we would have quit. Fortunately we didn't and the bonked rider would sit on a wheel until they recovered. We stopped in Centralia at a convenience store where we had heat lamp cheeseburgers and cokes. The biggest concern was keeping lube on the drivetrain. We had a squirt bottle of Triflow and would reach down to the other's bike once an hour and coat the chain. The back half of our bikes were black. With about 50 miles to go, the rain stopped and we motored along the Columbia River all the way to Portland.

merlinmurph
04-24-2020, 02:39 PM
To me, 40* and rain is the absolute worst weather - period. I'd rather have snow as it's drier. Even 60* and rain is bad enough. I just find it miserable. I'm too old and don't get paid enough to ride in that stuff.

This is where bike commuters get my hardass award. We had a guy at work that I'd see leaving at night, raining, and 40* temps. Like someone said, clothing is key, but man, that's tough mentally.

benb
04-24-2020, 02:51 PM
I do it with no issue if I'm signed up for something and I have to put the training miles in.

I have done 50-75 miles in cold rain way too many times. 2 years ago I did about 80 miles on a day in the high 30s/low 40s.

But absent a good reason to be doing it no, it sucks, and it destroys your bike parts over time even with Fenders. (I have fenders).

verticaldoug
04-24-2020, 02:52 PM
God gives us rain to force us to run once and awhile to work on our bone density.

ciclista_tifoso
04-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Great comments - rugged outdoorsmen/persons among us, clearly.

As mentioned by a few others, layering can help when riding in the brutal cold (coldest temps I've braved was ~17 degrees F. Not to be repeated), but rain is a different animal altogether, particularly when mixed with cold temps.

I've done it -- and when temps are warmer, some rain can be welcome -- but can understand the preference to keep it indoors.

zap
04-24-2020, 03:01 PM
Knees hate that kind of weather.

So a cold and rainy morning....that's fresh waffles with real maple syrup followed up with a quick 25 minute computrainer session then a nap kind of weather.

Ozz
04-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Do you mean on purpose?

Been out plenty where I misjudged weather forecast.....:cool:

Bigbill - I was on that STP....we road to Longview the first day.....last 20 miles or so were a mess....we were bitchin' and complaining....came up behind a guy on a recumbent.....hand-cranking it up the hill. Perspective was gained and we shut up about how "miserable" we were......

azrider
04-24-2020, 04:47 PM
1997 Seattle to Portland, back in the day when the one day riders left on the second day. Rolled out of the Kingdome parking lot in windy, 48 degree temps with a steady rain. I rode the first 145 miles with my rain jacket on. A friend did it with me and if we had both bonked at the same time, we would have quit. Fortunately we didn't and the bonked rider would sit on a wheel until they recovered. We stopped in Centralia at a convenience store where we had heat lamp cheeseburgers and cokes. The biggest concern was keeping lube on the drivetrain. We had a squirt bottle of Triflow and would reach down to the other's bike once an hour and coat the chain. The back half of our bikes were black. With about 50 miles to go, the rain stopped and we motored along the Columbia River all the way to Portland.

#respect

FlashUNC
04-24-2020, 04:49 PM

The worst feeling in the world is starting a ride in the rain. The best feeling is starting a ride in the rain and then at some point the rain stops and the sun comes out.

pooneej
04-24-2020, 04:49 PM

Very nice memories made with that ride.

pooneej
04-24-2020, 04:51 PM
To me, 40* and rain is the absolute worst weather - period. I'd rather have snow as it's drier.

100% agree about rather have snow - for running. Its actually really really neat to run when its snowing. Biking I've never done and probably never will!

fiamme red
04-24-2020, 05:00 PM
Once on a bike tour, I started a 130-mile day in Vermont in a chilly drizzle. After about 10 miles it started pouring so hard that it was hard to see more than a few feet ahead. At about the 30-mile mark, I ducked into a nice little bakery, freezing and completely soaked. Half an hour later, the sun came out, and the rest of the ride was spectacularly beautiful. It was one of the best rides I've ever done. I'm glad that I wasn't deterred by the cold rain.

terry
04-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Normally I enjoy riding in the rain but, not if its under 50 degree. Today was the best ride of the week-45 degrees but I had a 2 hour window (radar) of no or light rain. The reason it was so nice was because the wind was only in the mid teens. Been fighting 20+ winds all week and it gets demoralizing.

BryanE
04-24-2020, 05:11 PM
Cold, snow and wind?
Northern Michigan normal.

Tickdoc
04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
You know I would if it would just rain here like normal id ride in it more but this time of year we have pop up storms that come out of nowhere and it can go from 100 degrees to 45 with hail in an instant. I don’t like to ride in hail. Add to that the increase in flats.

The plus side is the storms clear fast and if you don’t get to ride one day you usually can the next.

azrider
04-24-2020, 05:44 PM
Cold, snow and wind?
Northern Michigan normal.

Me looking at that picture and realizing people actually rides bikes in those conditions (regularly)

https://media.giphy.com/media/37Fsl1eFxbhtu/giphy.gif

wallymann
04-24-2020, 06:04 PM

if there's a long ride i gotta get in as part of a build-up for an event or an actual event i'm doing, i just HTFU and log the saddle time in the cold/wind/rain like a proper flahute.

aside from that, I'll hop in the trainer or take a nap.

merckx
04-24-2020, 06:04 PM
I have a bicycle equipped with berthoud fenders, an integrated front rack, and a small berthoud bag. I can carry a rain jacket, a warm vest, rain booties, and a ham sandwich. The only days I don't ride are when it is snowing heavily, or when it is icy. I love riding my bicycle.

Coffee Rider
04-24-2020, 06:28 PM
As I see it, being tough is for people who don't have other options. I have ridden in lousy weather and know I am quite capable of doing so, it's not enjoyable to me and there isn't so much of an issue where I live, so I don't. I've probably always been a wuss, but I am now mature enough to accept and embrace it. It's sunny and really warm today and I had quite a lovely ride.

Buzz
04-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Seattle 1971 thru 2000

Try Rochester, NY and environs during the 1970s and 1980s.....

Nothing worse than freezing rain and slush and throw in the potholes and cracked pavement from all the bad weather and then being stuck in the middle of nowhere 25 miles from home on the side of a road trying to tear off a frozen solid to the rim tubular for an hour! as the sun is setting and the snow really starts to dump.

Good thing I was a teenager and viewed it as a challenge.

carpediemracing
04-24-2020, 09:23 PM
I used to love riding through rain and wind - my ideal ride used to be 45 deg and a light rain. Knickers, booties, long sleeve uppers, wind vest, all the flahute / Belgian hardman classics kind of stuff. There were some dirt roads near where I lived. Cue John Tesh, Paris Roubaix coverage, Theo De Rooy's interview recollections, and blurry grainy coverage of the race (not my clip - 1987 Paris Roubaix, missing the De Rooy interview): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwNq5TYBug

I even took a picture after one such ride, back when taking pictures cost time and money:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/S34Ihxuam5I/AAAAAAAACtQ/7b_EHdevwU4/s800/IMG_0002.jpg

We even did an underground "race" for many years in Feb on those roads - Shartkozawa Classic, which unfortunately my hosting page expired, so no link for now.

Nowadays, not so much. I did a ride a couple years ago with some former teammates and we set out in drizzle, moderate wind, and whatever, but I never got that Classics soggy just rolling to get home kind of feeling.

muz
04-24-2020, 09:42 PM
Back in the simpler days, I used to ride brevets in any weather. Granted it doesn't get that cold in California. I still remember a 300k brevet that had driving rain in 34F temperatures for the first few hours, after which showers and 40F felt like an improvement. Then massive headwind, and sub-freezing clear night finish.

joosttx
04-24-2020, 09:45 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/5790/30081467375_665513962d_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8554/29453689594_0797381108_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8772/29453687794_6c28b0df69_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/5290/29453679654_0fbee70db4_h.jpg

Buzz
04-24-2020, 09:45 PM
I even took a picture after one such ride, back when taking pictures cost time and money

I tried to explain this concept to my kids. Two month summer backpacking trip to Europe circa 1981 - 6 x 36 exposure rolls of film = 216 photos. My kids can do that many in one day now.

carpediemracing
04-24-2020, 11:40 PM
I tried to explain this concept to my kids. Two month summer backpacking trip to Europe circa 1981 - 6 x 36 exposure rolls of film = 216 photos. My kids can do that many in one day now.

Ha.

When I raced regularly I'd bring my (digital SLR) camera to races. I'd put albums up on FB. I'd typically take 250 pictures or so, sometimes as many as 800-900 pictures. One day I gave the camera to someone helping hold the race and ended up with almost 2000 pictures.

I think 36 exposure 400 film was maybe $8 or $9? And development was similar. I don't remember. I used Mystic but when a photo place opened next door to the shop I'd use them because neighborhood discount.

I used to take selfies (car, plane, bike), wondering if they'd come out weeks or even months later. Some came out really well.

pooneej
04-25-2020, 05:31 AM

lol - Fotomat and kodak 110 film.

Gummee
04-25-2020, 07:42 AM
I do it with no issue if I'm signed up for something and I have to put the training miles in.

I have done 50-75 miles in cold rain way too many times. 2 years ago I did about 80 miles on a day in the high 30s/low 40s.

But absent a good reason to be doing it no, it sucks, and it destroys your bike parts over time even with Fenders. (I have fenders).This.

The Hilly Billy Roubaix goes off (except this year) rain or shine so you'd better be prepared to ride in crappy weather.

I have the Shake Dry stuff. I have the fendered SSCX bike. Now that the HBR is cancelled, well.... motivation is somewhat lacking

Now RUNNING in the rain isn't nearly as bad. I have less problem getting motivated to run in the rain.

M

Gummee
04-25-2020, 07:44 AM
I even took a picture after one such ride, back when taking pictures cost time and money:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/S34Ihxuam5I/AAAAAAAACtQ/7b_EHdevwU4/s800/IMG_0002.jpg
I had one of those Cannonballs.

Loved it for short rides, sprints and crits. HATED it for anything longer than about 90min

M

oldpotatoe
04-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Cold, wet, windy..If I get 2 outta 3, I don't ride..:)

merckx
04-25-2020, 09:07 AM
I used to love riding through rain and wind - my ideal ride used to be 45 deg and a light rain. Knickers, booties, long sleeve uppers, wind vest, all the flahute / Belgian hardman classics kind of stuff. There were some dirt roads near where I lived. Cue John Tesh, Paris Roubaix coverage, Theo De Rooy's interview recollections, and blurry grainy coverage of the race (not my clip - 1987 Paris Roubaix, missing the De Rooy interview): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwNq5TYBug

We even did an underground "race" for many years in Feb on those roads - Shartkozawa Classic, which unfortunately my hosting page expired, so no link for now.

Nowadays, not so much. I did a ride a couple years ago with some former teammates and we set out in drizzle, moderate wind, and whatever, but I never got that Classics soggy just rolling to get home kind of feeling.

Your story and picture of that Cannondale brings forward many good memories of my competitive days. Winning magazine stories, VeloNews articles, and film footage of Sean Kelly's legendary work ethic gave me the motivation to throw a leg over my bicycle many times when I would have preferred to pull the blanket up a little higher. I still enjoy cycling in all weather conditions, but my motivation is different. I just have a strong desire to feel the landscape through my effort when riding my bicycle, and am not ashamed to pull an extra layer from my handlebar bag when needed, or to enjoy the protection that fenders provide from road spray. It is the effort that is the common denominator, and having the opportunity to experience things that can only be understood from the seat of a bicycle.

prototoast
04-25-2020, 09:18 AM
When I lived in Oregon, I would ride in everything: wind, rain, hail, more rain, occasionally snow, but mostly rain. Then I moved to California, and I got soft. Now I rarely ride in the rain, or even when it's too cold, because I know that tomorrow will probably be much nicer.

ducati2
04-25-2020, 12:13 PM
I still have a whacked idea that part of bicycling is related to discipline, effort, and suffering. Most of the rides I actually remember from years past were ridden in awful weather. I always loved riding in the rain when I was racing because I was confident most of the guys I would line up against would be on the couch. But that’s just me.

nobuseri
04-25-2020, 12:19 PM
I used to ride like that to build character points, but these days, to me, it’s not worth it.

It wasn’t fun outside, and I can get the same or more, TSS wise, on the trainer at home. No need to thaw out in the shower before playing with the kids after, either.

I like to keep my bikes on the cleaner side of the spectrum. I don’t miss those days at all.

To those that are out there in sub-optimal weather, hats off and play it safe/visible.

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Im not brave anymore, here the weather sucks, not even look like the season it should. Rain almost daily, cold as hell... I doubt any new birds had been able to survive this weather, even if they survive when they are on their own we had like 3 days of wind and storms with super cold weather. Ridiculously bad weather here :(

Lionel
04-26-2020, 05:27 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/5790/30081467375_665513962d_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8554/29453689594_0797381108_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8772/29453687794_6c28b0df69_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/5290/29453679654_0fbee70db4_h.jpg

Great memories !

A1A
04-26-2020, 09:11 AM
Used to ride in pretty much any weather March through November until I hit the big 60 and retired from racing. Never enjoyed mid winter outdoor riding. Now my cutoff is around a dry 40 degrees and I pretty much don't venture out if it is raining unless I'm really desperate. Getting caught in the rain is fine, if it's warm enough it's almost refreshing. Other than that if it's cold and rainy I'm much too comfy sitting in the basement on Zwift. Call me old, it's ok, my wife does... But she used to race also and wears tights and jacket if it's below 60...

C40_guy
04-26-2020, 09:51 AM

Crap, I shiver when it gets cold and rainy on Zwift. :)

My son joined me for the PMC a few years ago and the first day it was cold and rainy, all 90 miles. While I was okay, he was really suffering. He didn't stop shivering even 10 minutes into a hot shower at the finish line.

Now he loves *running* in the rain. Go figure.

johnmdesigner
04-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Years ago when I lived in Rotterdam a couple of buddies and I would ride flat out up one side of the Rotte river and back down the other. The North Sea wind and freezing rain in the Spring was absolutely horrible and there was more than one occasion when one of us would literally be blown off the bike and almost come to grief by falling into the canal.
Better to just embrace the cold and wet and let it remind you that you're still alive.
Nothing like a Genever washed down with some raw herring and onions after that.