PDA

View Full Version : Shimano vs. Specialized Shoes

MikeM
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Question to those who own both (or have knowledge of both):

I have recently changed from Shimano R215 to Specialized S Works (very comfortable!) But I have started developing strange aches in the back of my knees. Does anyone know if the sole is thicker/thinner (increased/decreased ball of foot to cleat distance) in the specialized shoes? Is the vertical height between the ball of the foot and the heel greater/smaller in specialized shoes?

I get the feeling that I may need to adjust my saddle somehow, but not sure which way to go. As an aside, my pedals are pretty worn, but they were with the previous shoes, the only change has been the shoes.

Mike

Smiley
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Those shoes are NOT BG designated if so they are set up for pronators and are internally wedged , please check . Smiley

Serotta PETE
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Those shoes are NOT BG designated if so they are set up for pronators and are internally wedged , please check . Smiley

Smiley is the Expert/ I noticed my SPECIALIZED are less stack height than my Carmac. I have never tried the Shimano. David Kirk shared a post on how to measure your stack height.

MikeM
01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Cheers guys, suppose I should give a fuller pciture.

For both shoes I have custom inserts 9well they were carried over between the two shoes) which did the business in my Shimano shoes. As well as this I ran two LeWedges under the cleats on both Shimano shoes - my understanding is that the equivalent amount of wedgining is inbuilt in the Specialized shoes.

I did noticed that the drilling for the cleats is much nearer the middle of the shoes width on the Specilaized, compared to a more outboard placement on the Shimanos. I belive I have got the cleats set up so that they are near enough in the smae place, left to right. To get them under the ball of my feet, I have them placed as far forward as possilbe. I'm also using Speedplay zeros, so rotational alignment isn't an issue.

The ache I'm experiencing is towards the bottom of my hamstrings - where they connect into the knee joint.

Mike

stevep
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
The ache I'm experiencing is towards the bottom of my hamstrings - where they connect into the knee joint.

Mike

saddle too high.
down 3 mm

Serotta PETE
01-17-2007, 06:37 PM
saddle too high.
down 3 mm

smidge down on saddle....Mark where it is now, before moving, so you have a "point of reference".

theprep
01-18-2007, 07:15 AM
MikeM

I just installed cleats on Shimano R215's last night and compared them to my outgoing Specialized Carbon Pro shoes. The Shimanos are indeed a little thicker throught the sole area.

I would estimate the difference in stack height between the two shoes to be 3-5 mm. This is based on mounting cleats to both types of shoes, pressing the cleat flat against my counter top and just eye balling from the side.

The advice to lower your saddle is spot on.

In my case I will need to raise my seat.

alancw3
01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
sidi's! duh. get it right!

Steelhead
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
sidi's! duh. get it right!

What he said. :D