PDA

View Full Version : Current Smart Trainer Recs?

Seamus
04-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Might have fried my Elite Direto this afternoon. Getting no resistance (initially thought my chain dropped somehow when it happened) +not reading cadence and power on Zwift.

If I need to replace, any recs for current equivalent options? Would like to keep around the same $750-900 price range, direct drive. Feel like it’s a bad time to have to replace due to product-cycles and availability but we’ll see.

trener1
04-23-2020, 04:42 PM
I'd say either a Saris H3 or a Kicke Core.
If you shop around enough you can find the H3 for $900

Hikyle2
04-23-2020, 04:58 PM
I was able to find a Kickr Core on their website for cheaper than usually, some times they put up refurbished ones. I love it so far, it will sometimes lose signal but that more seems to be my computers fault.

One thing I don't like is they are heavy, so I could kinda see the advantage of the higher priced kickr with the handle up top because it's really a pain to move into place every time I wanna ride.

trener1
04-23-2020, 08:27 PM
One thing I don't like is they are heavy, so I could kinda see the advantage of the higher priced kickr with the handle up top because it's really a pain to move into place every time I wanna ride.

You sure are right :)
I threw my back out last week moving mine.

teleguy57
04-23-2020, 09:03 PM
If you haven't spent some time on smartbiketrainers.com (https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/) you should. Tariq has top notch reviews (as does DCRainmaker (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html) and GPLama (https://gplama.com/smart-trainers/))

Me? Riding non-smart rollers so I have nothing to contribute to the conversation:)

kytyree
04-24-2020, 05:01 PM
With some of the sales around the H3 seems like a really good deal. It's been available a couple of times now at 20% off from various places. My buddy picked one up from REI, from the reviews I've read that's a great deal.

kppolich
04-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Still sold on a used 2nd Gen Kickr. They can be found for less than $500. TA compatible, quiet, and reliable.

Seamus
04-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Thanks all - I might be able to repair my Direto. Belt snapped and Elite will be mailing a user-servicable replacement, so fingers crossed. Appreciate the insights if I have further trouble though.

jchasse
04-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Have you considered the Elite Suito? Seemed sort of like an updated version of the Direto. Reviews that I saw were actually more favorable and (or maybe because) it costs less. I got one to replace a 100 year old Computrainer, so I'm admittedly behind the times. But I have nothing bad to say about it.

uber
04-24-2020, 09:22 PM
I have the first gen Tacx Neo. Zero issues. Very quiet. I like the subtle side to side motion.

earlfoss
04-25-2020, 07:34 AM
I just got an H3 and it's very, very nice. I highly recommend for anyone in the market for a new smart trainer. Super easy to set up, and very quiet. I got mine to interface with Zwift & TrainingPeaks too :)

If you're having a hard time finding what you want in stock... From what I understand, Wahoo Kickrs won't be available from the factory until mid to late May, and there are a few other brands with manufacturing delays too. Saris seems to have a production schedule that will get more of these out the door much sooner. That's the word from my buddy at Saris.

DoubleButted
04-26-2020, 08:39 PM
I bought a Kinetic R1 early when they first came out. Had a lot of issues with calibrating procedure, software hanging up, etc. Many of these were documented on DC Rainmaker. I do have to say that their helpline was very responsive, sometimes we would exchange up to 5 emails a day, but then it would have been better if things worked right in the first place. This year I changed from Android to Apple phone for controlling and it was far better. Apparently a different group of people writing the software. Can't say I've had any real issues since then. I do not have separate power meter to verify accuracy. That said, they are now advertised for around $650 which I think is a really good deal. I love the rock 'n roll motion and mechanically it is really solid. Works perfectly with TrainerRoad.
Edit: Looks like the price is back up to around $950, tougher decision at that price....

trener1
04-26-2020, 08:52 PM
I saw that Kurt was running a %30 off sale on those, seemed like a good deal.
It is still listed at $750 on their site but also says out of stock.

When I was in the market I was intrigued by the rocking motion, but they got terrible reviews, every review I saw and read said do NOT buy it, it seems like they have fixed all of the bugs but it also seems like they just never recovered from the bad press, as I never see anyone mention them when it comes to a smart trainer discussion (well of course you just did :) ).
But I think that is what happens when you rush a product to market and let the market be your beta testers, you get hammered in the market.

cal_len1
04-27-2020, 07:40 AM
I saw that Kurt was running a %30 off sale on those, seemed like a good deal.
It is still listed at $750 on their site but also says out of stock.

When I was in the market I was intrigued by the rocking motion, but they got terrible reviews, every review I saw and read said do NOT buy it, it seems like they have fixed all of the bugs but it also seems like they just never recovered from the bad press, as I never see anyone mention them when it comes to a smart trainer discussion (well of course you just did :) ).
But I think that is what happens when you rush a product to market and let the market be your beta testers, you get hammered in the market.

DCR was testing firmware updates for a long time, but he gave up on them because they never fixed the issues of power output not being correct. He did say that he would review it again if they fixed the issues, but that does not seem to have happened.

cal_len1
04-27-2020, 07:41 AM
My Saris H3 has been great, and I bought it on black friday, so I had one of the earliest ones. Used for a combination of TrainerRoad and Zwift. Would recommend. You might check out clever training.