PDA

View Full Version : Covid19 - bike related projects?

vqdriver
04-23-2020, 11:10 AM
just killing time
Would like to see how people's springtime projects were affected. With extra time and less income this will probably run the spectrum

For me, I was going to do a flatbar conversion with my "gravel" bike. Right up until the European travel ban which effectively ended my income...

If you actually are able to use the time at home to complete a bike project, please share pics.

benb
04-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Actually mostly PITA on maintenance.

I had a tubeless valve failure on my MTB.. went to the LBS which was risky, got some valves, they don't work, they've got sealant on them at this point so they can't go back. They didn't cost much so whatever.

Now I'm waiting on an online order for some valves which should match the originals but I need to wait a few weeks.

I would not want to be trying to piece together a whole bike build right now.

I noticed a lot of stuff (Shimano) seems to be out of stock at some online places... SRAM seems available.

tbike4
04-23-2020, 12:12 PM
I would be working on my new to me Colorado 3 but it'd's in a trailer in Phoenix waiting to travel to CA when work starts again so...

My buddy calls me up and says the bike on his trainer needs work. I can do that for sure, a few extra bucks in my pocket for the labor. OMFG. Never again will I take on a trainer bike project unless it's only been used for like an hour or so.

I knew the obvious going in, some cables rusted into ferrules, some ferrules stuck in under top tube cable stops and elsewhere. No big deal. Yep, Take 1 thing apart, find 1 more thing that is either stuck or needs to be replaced. I gave up on the Octalink BB removal and took it to a shop to avoid harming the frame.
It's a nice frame, aluminum Bianchi Mega Pro Reparto Corse I think with 9 speed Dura Ace so there is no "throwing in the towel".

He said he wanted to put on new Look pedals to match cleats on all shoes. Nope. Pedals stuck on there forever so a new crank it is, and chain, and cables, and did I mention the front brake caliper will be replaced. I could take it apart with a sawzall maybe to replace the cable.

When all is said and done it will be nice and he knows the costs so a win-win for us both.

ultraman6970
04-23-2020, 12:27 PM
I would not call them projects but, re thinking some stuff. Now have time to move around parts between the bikes.

Fixed how i wanted my kid's bikes... they dont ride so now just to make them move their butttttsss I'm having them to ride 30 mins each day.

joosttx
04-23-2020, 12:36 PM
I have a Built all road bike coming in May. I have been curating its parts so I am pretty, pretty, petty stoked.

vqdriver
04-23-2020, 02:48 PM
forgot to mention, i did finally address a persistent rear flat. i apparently rolled thru a minefield of thorns at some point and was dogged by undiscovered thorns buried in the tread. after going over the inside of the tire thoroughly and pulling a couple more thorns i patched the tube and all was well. until a few days later when it had gone flat again. i didn't have the motivation to do it all over and put it off for months. but i finally did it last weekend. discovered no more thorns so i did ye old dunk test with the tube and found that the patch itself was to blame. yaaay/boooo
replaced patch and it seems fine now....

looks like i'll be tuning up my sisters/bil's bikes. decent bikes but probably haven't been maintained other than tire inflation since they bought em.

fogrider
04-24-2020, 02:35 AM
Got a great deal on a frame and fork, group but now no cash for wheels and finishing kit...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200424/23f5613b562dd7f3a39bdb59435a00e9.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cgeisler
04-25-2020, 11:49 AM
I ordered an XCR GVL build from Barco in Veneto, Italy last november; delivery date was supposed to be Feb. Still no sign of the frame. Latest update predicts shipping May 5. Time will tell. Building a new (to me) pegoretti in the meantime.

oddsaabs
04-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Taking the time to paint a bike.

Original brown powder coat

New color. Still needs another coat or 2 of clear.

A detail of the layers before clear

Mike V
04-25-2020, 02:28 PM
I just finished a Merckx MXL with Chorus silver.

Elefantino
04-25-2020, 02:35 PM
I just finished a Merckx MXL with Chorus silver.

Without photos, it didn't happen. ;)

parris
04-26-2020, 07:31 PM
I'm moving around a few things on the bikes and getting rid of just way too much C**P that's slowly collected in my garages over the years. I've touched on this a few times but it still shocks me just how much stuff we can just collect without really thinking.

Part of the getting rid of stuff is that I took an inventory of things that I have. The shocker for me wasn't so much tools etc but the almost obscene amount of reloading gear that I have that's unused due to amount AND lack of space! I have more metallic reloading presses than bicycles! I have more shotshell reloading presses than I have metallic and I haven't been on a skeet or sporting clays field in literally 10 years. At least the metallic stuff I use.

T-Crush
04-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Without photos, it didn't happen. ;)

and I'm supposed to be hard at work. Thanks for the laugh.