PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen Paint Issue - carbon seat tube

pdonk
04-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Any of the other speedvagen owners with carbon seat tubes have issues with cracking of paint at the seam of the carbon tube and steel lug it passes through? Mine has cracked after about 2700km.

If yes, what have you done to prevent rust / make it look better?

And yes I have contacted SV and sent them pics, but have not heard back. I also want to hear others what they have done.

bicycletricycle
04-23-2020, 09:38 AM
This used to happen on lots of trek OCLV frames. Paint over glued together joints seems to crack. Especially if some filler is used.

AngryScientist
04-23-2020, 09:57 AM
yea, this is a problem with different materials, with different stiffness properties that are allowed to move.

definitely something to address though, long term, if moisture is allowed to get in there to the metal, you're going to see corrosion.

rallizes
04-23-2020, 10:13 AM
i will be interested to see how SV responds

how long have you been waiting to hear back?

charliedid
04-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Curious what they say but I find it hard to believe it's avoidable with wet paint?

Still a baller ride.

zap
04-23-2020, 11:38 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/57cm-2010-Speedvagen-Superlight-Road-Frameset-Vanilla-Workshop-/124154123172?hash=item1ce82993a4%3Ag%3A5NAAAOSw69d ell7g&nma=true&si=aNZ7DLqAkCCrH5Oi9VPETr0OSqQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

AngryScientist
04-23-2020, 11:39 AM
ka-chow!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qQMAAOSwY4Nell7y/s-l1200.jpg

zap
04-23-2020, 11:41 AM
ka-chow!

you are better at this than I.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 11:46 AM
Yes I've seen that happen but it's also a seat mast and not a sleeved lug construction like the pdonker's

I hope someone bought that and had it remade to fit a seatpost.

Cripes.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Damn

charliedid
04-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Or do I have that all wrong and it is the same construction?

pdonk
04-23-2020, 12:08 PM
Lots of questions to answer:

1) SV now warns that this is going to happen as part of their warranty sheet and reminds you when you order. They have also now switched to a stainless steel lug.
2) I sent SV an email last week, got a reply asking for pics, sent in the pics in so waiting for a reply.
3) If the pics of the other bike are of a superlight, it has a carbon seat tube.
4) For the picture at the bottom, the crack seems to be in the tube for carbon bikes they use a clamp on vs braze on mount.

justinrchan
04-23-2020, 12:45 PM
I have the exact same frame as the one that was listed on eBay. Wowza - that one has seen better days! The only issue I had was cracking on the seat post topper which I think was due to over tightening. The folks at Speedvagen were super responsive when I had to order a replacement but it took months to get it. I ordered a stem at the same time and they had a few paint issues with painting it. This was about 2 years ago and all is well on my frame/stem/seatpost topper.

Blown Reek
04-23-2020, 03:39 PM
1) SV now warns that this is going to happen as part of their warranty sheet and reminds you when you order.

Wow.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 03:50 PM

1) SV now warns that this is going to happen as part of their warranty sheet and reminds you when you order. They have also now switched to a stainless steel lug.
2) I sent SV an email last week, got a reply asking for pics, sent in the pics in so waiting for a reply.
3) If the pics of the other bike are of a superlight, it has a carbon seat tube.
4) For the picture at the bottom, the crack seems to be in the tube for carbon bikes they use a clamp on vs braze on mount.
---
Stainless lug makes more sense I guess but I don't see how it prevents the crack..

Hope they get this sorted for you.

Gsinill
04-23-2020, 04:51 PM
How about a new thread:

"Underrated/Overrated framebuilders" ;)

tristan
04-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Another data point: My SV arrived with a hole in the toptube / seattube junction where the glue bond was not complete. Framesaver from inside the toptube leaked from the back-lower bond down the seattube from day 1.
The slight slope on the toptube meant a never-ending dribble of framesaver then when the framesaver ran out rusty water. They told me to deal with it which I was not happy about.

After a few months the junction got quite bad and opened up at the top-front. After a lot of pushing they took the frame back, removed the carbon seattube, and replace or at least re-bonded it. This process took 9 months and they charged me for paint costs.

The frame arrived back and cracked again almost instantly. I negotiated a buy-back with them.

Additionally the TIG welded sections of my frame were pretty poor with visible creators from the electrodes last pulse. I'd seen the early Desalvo-welded SV frames and they were gorgeous but my frame looked amateur.

The frame was heavier, lower quality, and not as nice to ride as a production Ritchey.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WGV1IFQJDiwer4t7EPDBuWqOqX2E4JsUyD5qEqCycGTcVu72g-UBGMYCXmB6hfv0Z_6VjgrSHbZ5uNK63WvIf5Kxij8dkBIvemnu Hz70I9Qu2VVTxEddc-wS-g2ITabPx29S2Gl7G8SxvG1LJW4l1oqwnVrEQfp8S7OYghVP0P7 SQ1VDoagTelzuiXRWh9qhWPnETqOhkTNLpJPRx3ga1z0FcW8TO kAIDzci6rN1sKY3PiAi1I1KaKYv8sFEvW3qnXshZFZ4sD79yv0 gdBrGAvDq5he4Y6PCgi74Pv8OhSjov7uR7yOGlkgseV7dWS5Ne AKkpyhwIAy4LuZK7j8INk4Bd8KDFDBR_pL-FGzXJp2j0PNI7c4Tov8oWoFihCzylczeKyyTRpLXFdgtd4yn-oLQL1K5akrfw0wG34CHmyO4sWm5WqoJ-WuQGYO1jam6B3ucSZJ87cZ2dcJUVIcBEdJ7Yj5JLtKG0ZOWTEi ROk_HUztCiT6S-NQdqMZE_ob5jCV1PuEP4WpKzEHalgmjoGxgfqmXTWb6Wrazsys XkCLw5_Hfk4cAoFioE_SkqyqHbwHe58Y0K6SvSyV2VRr2_kCBb p2zluVyawzTAP2p2B0uVJKT8qZKLEhaTo0Y91i_Xg6DqhMiTR4 Q7lwttnW_75YHs4B8f4mWipycELqrvQYfuzXsBHdjSQ5xFGkip Ro=w457-h343-no

jchasse
04-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Wow, that's all pretty tough to look at.

I've got a crazy, one-off SV Urban Racer (internally geared 11 sp, disc brakes, dyno front hub etc.) that I bought from someone on Paceline, but I've always lusted after one of their road bikes. Not so much right now.

rallizes
04-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Wow.

indeed

flying
04-23-2020, 06:04 PM
The frame arrived back and cracked again almost instantly. I negotiated a buy-back with them.

That is really terrible!

The whole story & lack of customer service would be infuriating

But glad to hear the Ritchey is so nice...I hear that often

AngryScientist
04-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Another data point:

thank you for that data point tristan. saved in my internal database!

Robot870
04-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Sry to hear this - nothing worse than bad customer service after dropping a ton of cash!

tristan
04-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Sry to hear this - nothing worse than bad customer service after dropping a ton of cash!

The whole thing left a really sour taste in my mouth.

All the comms I had prior to ordering were amazing and I had a great tour of the Vanilla workshop when I was in Portland.

After ordering it was just a series of errors...the wrong parts sent, the wrong replacement parts sent, what I ordered not being correct, time frames blown out, etc etc etc. While the team there were friendly to deal with my whole experience reeked of a lack of basic internal process.

Mikej
04-23-2020, 06:43 PM
If you have to ask will you honor your warranty, you can’t afford it.

Hellgate
04-23-2020, 06:59 PM
How about a new thread:

"Underrated/Overrated framebuilders" ;)No doubt. Should have stayed Vanilla...

peanutgallery
04-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Sorry to point out the obvious, but this company had sold hundreds of bikes before they'd actually produced a hundred way back when in 2009 or whatever. Gsinill has it dialed...under-rated vs. over-rated. Time is telling

Though D. Kirk is lame on the branded wellingtons, tattoos and what not, he has it going on in the long term with frame quality. Anyone that buys a Kirk does not complain and is happy with their purchase. Same for a Sachs, Strong and a few others. IF I was is the market for a halo bike..I'd do my homework before parting with hard earned shekels

weaponsgrade
04-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Another data point: My SV arrived with a hole in the toptube / seattube junction where the glue bond was not complete. Framesaver from inside the toptube leaked from the back-lower bond down the seattube from day 1.
The slight slope on the toptube meant a never-ending dribble of framesaver then when the framesaver ran out rusty water. They told me to deal with it which I was not happy about.

After a few months the junction got quite bad and opened up at the top-front. After a lot of pushing they took the frame back, removed the carbon seattube, and replace or at least re-bonded it. This process took 9 months and they charged me for paint costs.

Additionally the TIG welded sections of my frame were pretty poor with visible creators from the electrodes last pulse. I'd seen the early Desalvo-welded SV frames and they were gorgeous but my frame looked amateur.

The frame was heavier, lower quality, and not as nice to ride as a production Ritchey.

That is really disappointing.

I noticed Rodeo Labs is now doing the carbon seat tube thing. I'm wondering what their assembly/paint technique will be for avoiding these problems.

Mikej
04-23-2020, 07:14 PM
Sorry to point out the obvious, but this company had sold hundreds of bikes before they'd actually produced a hundred way back when in 2009 or whatever. Gsinill has it dialed...under-rated vs. over-rated. Time is telling

Though D. Kirk is lame on the branded wellingtons, tattoos and what not, he has it going on in the long term with frame quality. Anyone that buys a Kirk does not complain and is happy with their purchase. Same for a Sachs, Strong and a few others. IF I was is the market for a halo bike..I'd do my homework before parting with hard earned shekels

I concur- Kirk makes a top notch frame set.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 07:15 PM
Before we shove Sacha and Co. completely under the bus I think we need more testing and contact tracing.

Anybody have a handle on how widespread this QC issue is with this design and others from Speedvagen? I'm also curious to know where the manufacturing lies? I guess I was under the notion that building went back in-house semi production?

Thanks, I'm sure I know only a smidge about these bikes compared to others here. Seems many people here have or have had one.

tristan
04-23-2020, 07:18 PM
I'd do my homework before parting with hard earned shekels

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but I'll address it. My experience is going back a few years and I thought I did enough homework before ordering, including a visit to their workshop. Obviously I didn't.

After I'd experienced my issues I reached out via PMs to a few others who had SVs and I learned their experiences were similar to mine.

But there is an Emperor Has No Clothes conundrum: speak out publicly about a halo and sought-after brand and you get vitriol so the brand perception remains as positive.

peanutgallery
04-23-2020, 07:28 PM
Pretty sure he has an account, he can defend himself

Before we shove Sacha and Co. completely under the bus I think we need more testing and contact tracing.

Anybody have a handle on how widespread this QC issue is with this design and others from Speedvagen? I'm also curious to know where the manufacturing lies? I guess I was under the notion that building went back in-house semi production?

Thanks, I'm sure I know only a smidge about these bikes compared to others here. Seems many people here have or have had one.

peanutgallery
04-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Wasn't aimed at you, just in general. Got a cold beer(s) and a warm hug for you, anytime...post covid:)

You have it on the vitriol for speaking out, folks don't always want to hear it. Takes balls. Been disappointed by my share of halo products over the years that would make an SV seem cheap in comparison. We learn and move on

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but I'll address it. My experience is going back a few years and I thought I did enough homework before ordering, including a visit to their workshop. Obviously I didn't.

After I'd experienced my issues I reached out via PMs to a few others who had SVs and I learned their experiences were similar to mine.

But there is an Emperor Has No Clothes conundrum: speak out publicly about a halo and sought-after brand and you get vitriol so the brand perception remains as positive.

R3awak3n
04-23-2020, 07:47 PM
I agree that people should share their experiences. I bet there are tons of people with good SV experiences and some with bad. However when it comes to SV, I remember Ryun (I think it was him and 99.9% was a SV) posting something about an experience he had with them that was not so good and I found it pretty strange since he has bought like 3745 bikes from them and when you are such a good customer and don't get treated right.

Its silly because you will get so much more from helping the customer out. If SV figures out what is happening and helps the OP, he will most likely recommend them and maybe buy another bike... Otherwise well, he will post on another thread like this that will come in a few years.

I hope it gets figured out OP

jchasse
04-23-2020, 07:59 PM

Sadly true. I had a pretty poor experience with one of the Gods of framebuilding across the hall. I just let it (and my deposit) drop and moved on. Glad I did.

denapista
04-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Yes I've seen that happen but it's also a seat mast and not a sleeved lug construction like the pdonker's

I hope someone bought that and had it remade to fit a seatpost.

Cripes.

That frame is one of the early bikes with a carbon seat tube.. It's a 2010 frame with caked on nice paint. If you look at the later SV frames with the carbon seat tube, they went with a different design and paint technique all together.

That ebay frame simply needs a strip down and repaint. I suspect the paint around that section was a heavy topic of "How do we do this?" when they were trying to figure out the carbon seat tube option.

You can see the improvement in this photo. The older ones were trying to hide the ridge, it seems. Which would mean there's a significant gap behind that paint with a filler or something that would eventually crack.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5628/22911407389_1d3ce0a88d_z.jpg

charliedid
04-23-2020, 08:11 PM
That frame is one of the early bikes with a carbon seat tube.. It's a 2010 frame with caked on nice paint. If you look at the later SV frames with the carbon seat tube, they went with a different design and paint technique all together.

That ebay frame simply needs a strip down and repaint. I suspect the paint around that section was a heavy topic of "How do we do this?" when they were trying to figure out the carbon seat tube option.

You can see the improvement in this photo. The older ones were trying to hide the ridge, it seems. Which would mean there's a significant gap behind that paint with a filler or something that would eventually crack.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5628/22911407389_1d3ce0a88d_z.jpg

Interesting point that seems to make sense to me. Thanks

pdonk
04-23-2020, 08:15 PM
I did not mean for this thread to become a SV love hate thread, but they always seem to.

I did a lot of research and tristan's is one of the few bad stories I heard.

I am still really happy with the bike, just wanted to see how other's dealt with this issue.

I am sure Richard will get back to me, and if not, I will follow up with a friendly phone call. My trip to the workshop, meeting Jenn, Richard and Sacha was one of the best vacations i have been on. i expect that while I'll likely end up with this area needing some sort of fix in the future, they will at least give me some advice to deal with it.

denapista
04-23-2020, 08:16 PM

You are correct.. That 2010 frame is one of the early Carbon Seat Tube frames. Both of those cracks are where the attempt to smoothen the transition between Carbon and the Steel sleeve/lug. Exact same thing that's happening to your frame, I'm guessing.

I also was informed that Hot Tubes can do SV paint and they do immaculate work.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 08:23 PM
I did not mean for this thread to become a SV love hate thread, but they always seem to.

I did a lot of research and tristan's is one of the few bad stories I heard.

I am still really happy with the bike, just wanted to see how other's dealt with this issue.

I am sure Richard will get back to me, and if not, I will follow up with a friendly phone call. My trip to the workshop, meeting Jenn, Richard and Sacha was one of the best vacations i have been on. i expect that while I'll likely end up with this area needing some sort of fix in the future, they will at least give me some advice to deal with it.

I like your style sir. To be clear I didn't intend to start any sort of pile-on or sow any discord or division I am just truly interested. I've never owned one but have long been a fan and had not heard of any of these issues.

Cheers

denapista
04-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Wow, that's all pretty tough to look at.

I've got a crazy, one-off SV Urban Racer (internally geared 11 sp, disc brakes, dyno front hub etc.) that I bought from someone on Paceline, but I've always lusted after one of their road bikes. Not so much right now.

My 2011 was hands down one of the best road bikes I've ridden. Just do the research and purchase a frame that was made during a certain era. Some of the best Portlands hands (Mike Desalvo) touched many batches. Those are the solid ones. When Mike/Sacha were building, good things happened.

I can only compare it to buying a current Pegoretti. I would only buy one knowing the master himself touched it, not a shop of hired guns. You're only adding more points of failure in the construction IMHO. My friend bought a 2012 SV with Carbon Seat Tube, and the ridge is showing and not a single issue. He also has pics of Sacha torching it. Safe to say after 2012/2013 when things exploded for the brand, so did the quality, as some are reporting.

pdonk
04-23-2020, 08:50 PM
You are correct.. That 2010 frame is one of the early Carbon Seat Tube frames. Both of those cracks are where the attempt to smoothen the transition between Carbon and the Steel sleeve/lug. Exact same thing that's happening to your frame, I'm guessing.

I also was informed that Hot Tubes can do SV paint and they do immaculate work.

I'm super lucky in terms of paint. Noah from velocolour lives 1 block over from me and his shop is on my way to work. Once this covid thing is over I plan on stopping in to see them.

denapista
04-23-2020, 08:55 PM
velocolour guys are super nice. I chatted with them over a repaint of a Baum. Super lucky to have those guys so close.

uber
04-23-2020, 09:02 PM
I had a 2011 SV and now have a 2016 SV with the carbon seat tube. I have had no issues with welds, paint or construction. I found a used Vanilla cross frame that Vanilla repainted, and though it took way too long, they did a great job. Many passionate opinions about this company. At this price point, the expectation of great quality and service should be high. I hope Vanilla steps up to make things right for the OP.

robt57
04-23-2020, 09:14 PM
I like when I read data that rules out any possible lust for a given brand....

KarlC
04-23-2020, 09:16 PM
I will be very happy to buy your Speedvagen Paint Issue carbon seat tube bike, size 54 please!!!

Ryun
04-23-2020, 10:05 PM
I had one of the early carbon seat tubes SVs and had that issue.
I rode it a long time like that.
It was addressed when that bike needed new paint from a few hard years of racing. I say needed mostly I just wanted to change the paint.
7 years on and it has just been respirated by Hot tubes. Only 1000 or so miles but seems to be holding up.
Like others have mentioned it has been updated design and all the other ones I’ve had since then have been fine including my cx bike.
I believe similar issues with paint cracking near the stainless fd bands they offered initially with carbon seat tubes and then discontinued.
Other than that my speedvagens. Have held up pretty well given Florida coast humidity.

denapista
04-24-2020, 03:14 AM
New Carbon Steel junction painting..

https://live.staticflickr.com/2845/11298352286_70cf66a047.jpg

morrisericd
04-24-2020, 06:36 AM
I've had my Rugged Road now for about two months. My bike was a show bike and bought at a substantial discount. When it arrived and I put it together, I somehow cracked the paint on the stem. I used a torque wrench and was careful, but the paint cracked. I still think it was the top spacer not being aligned correctly, but I'm not sure what happened. The bike was assembled and traveled around the country for a few shows and was about a year old at that point. Paint / stem was definitely not cracked when I received the bike.

I emailed Richard at Speedvagen and he told me to take the stem off and send it back and they would warranty it. Total time from when it left my house until it arrived back, painted and everything was two weeks. They even threw in a t-shirt and a couple of stickers.

I know this is one data point, but to me this is great customer service. Great communication, fast service, etc.

I had heard before buying the bike that their paint was "fragile". I had seen pictures of pretty new bikes with lots of paint chips. I asked Richard as part of the buying process and he told me that their paint takes a long time to cure and people are told to be careful when they first get their bike. Mine was "curing" for a year. I have no paint issues at all. I also have no idea how paint curing works and if what he said is correct. I only know what's happening with my bike.

And the most important part - how does it ride? It's an amazing bike. It's the 650b Rugged Road, but I'm not a 650b guy. It's been the only bike I've been riding. BTW - I also have an Argonaut. Probably just new bike lust. Gravel with 35mm G One Speeds? Awesome. Road with 28mm Pro ones? Just as good. It's a fast, stiff bike that does everything I ask of it. I would buy another bike from them in a heartbeat!

charliedid
04-24-2020, 07:31 AM
I've had my Rugged Road now for about two months. My bike was a show bike and bought at a substantial discount. When it arrived and I put it together, I somehow cracked the paint on the stem. I used a torque wrench and was careful, but the paint cracked. I still think it was the top spacer not being aligned correctly, but I'm not sure what happened. The bike was assembled and traveled around the country for a few shows and was about a year old at that point. Paint / stem was definitely not cracked when I received the bike.

I emailed Richard at Speedvagen and he told me to take the stem off and send it back and they would warranty it. Total time from when it left my house until it arrived back, painted and everything was two weeks. They even threw in a t-shirt and a couple of stickers.

I know this is one data point, but to me this is great customer service. Great communication, fast service, etc.

I had heard before buying the bike that their paint was "fragile". I had seen pictures of pretty new bikes with lots of paint chips. I asked Richard as part of the buying process and he told me that their paint takes a long time to cure and people are told to be careful when they first get their bike. Mine was "curing" for a year. I have no paint issues at all. I also have no idea how paint curing works and if what he said is correct. I only know what's happening with my bike.

And the most important part - how does it ride? It's an amazing bike. It's the 650b Rugged Road, but I'm not a 650b guy. It's been the only bike I've been riding. BTW - I also have an Argonaut. Probably just new bike lust. Gravel with 35mm G One Speeds? Awesome. Road with 28mm Pro ones? Just as good. It's a fast, stiff bike that does everything I ask of it. I would buy another bike from them in a heartbeat!

Nice

I've never quite wrapped my head around the paint/curing time witchcraft. Sometimes a bike comes and it's been built and ridden a few days or so after paint with no problem. Other times not so much. Part of me wonders if those are all talking points vs how well things were prepped painted and cured?

Regarding painted stems and seatposts I don't think any of us should hope that either of those items will look great forever. Too much stress and movement for it not to happen IMO and experience. I have a freshly painted stem and just assume the areas around the bolts will crack a bit and I'm totally cool with that. It's my bike and I ride it. Also, the more they are handled and adjusted the harder it is to keep them pristine and I am one that futz's with fit waaaay too much.

Glad everything seems A Okay with your bike, ride it in good health.

colker
04-24-2020, 07:45 AM
I can only compare it to buying a current Pegoretti. I would only buy one knowing the master himself touched it, not a shop of hired guns. You're only adding more points of failure in the construction IMHO. My friend bought a 2012 SV with Carbon Seat Tube, and the ridge is showing and not a single issue. He also has pics of Sacha torching it. Safe to say after 2012/2013 when things exploded for the brand, so did the quality, as some are reporting.

Wrong comparison because there is no failed Pegoretti.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2020, 08:38 AM
Sadly true. I had a pretty poor experience with one of the Gods of framebuilding across the hall. I just let it (and my deposit) drop and moved on. Glad I did.

Why I don't go there anymore..too much ego..

smellymcfatfats
04-24-2020, 08:50 AM
OP, pls let us know when you hear back. This poor customer service is unacceptable given the price point of the product. I hope they make it right.

merckxman
04-24-2020, 08:55 AM
If you think Dario touched every frame you are not correct. Seen with my own eyes. Saying that as someone that has the highest regard for Dario.
My 2011 was hands down one of the best road bikes I've ridden. Just do the research and purchase a frame that was made during a certain era. Some of the best Portlands hands (Mike Desalvo) touched many batches. Those are the solid ones. When Mike/Sacha were building, good things happened.

charliedid
04-24-2020, 09:28 AM
OP, pls let us know when you hear back. This poor customer service is unacceptable given the price point of the product. I hope they make it right.

Price should in no way determine satisfactory customer service. If I sell you a bike for $700 or $7000 you get my full attention.

Period.

denapista
04-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Wrong comparison because there is no failed Pegoretti.

Good point..

If one is looking for a Speedvagen, get one from the earlier years.

KarlC
04-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Good point..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4663/27824435279_247049896b_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/JoKvdK)

SV in the early days (https://flic.kr/p/JoKvdK)

smellymcfatfats
04-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Price should in no way determine satisfactory customer service. If I sell you a bike for $700 or $7000 you get my full attention.
Period.
Respectfully disagree. You get what you pay for in most instances...this should be one of them.

pdonk
04-24-2020, 01:03 PM

I will definitely provide an update once I hear back, I'll be following up early next week with a phone call.

As noted in the first post, I was warned and expected this to happen at some point, just not after 1 yr and about 2800km. I just want to know the best way to deal with it so that I don't get rust or the bonding coming apart. The fact that they have switched to stainless says a bit about the design.

And I will repeat, even with this, and the previous huge flake that happened(which they expressed me touch up paint no charge) I love this bike. The customer service i have previously received, including personal emails from Sacha, give me lots of hope.

zap
04-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Good point..

Those broke too. If not from the first batch-then the second.

denapista
04-24-2020, 02:34 PM

Well damn....

PDONK: what year is your frame?

Peter B
04-24-2020, 02:35 PM

The all steel ones hold up pretty well--at least mine has.

But then I am admittedly a luddite who has always been skeptical about mixed material bikes, especially when painted.

pdonk
04-24-2020, 03:31 PM
Well damn....

PDONK: what year is your frame?

Technically it is a 2018, but I got it spring of 2019.

I have heard back from sv, they had some more questions.

Good news is my bike does have the stainless lug.

I'll update when I get a final solution.

lavi
04-24-2020, 05:16 PM
I had a 2008. The first year the road machines came out. I live in PDX and had a fit by Sacha. The bike was/is great. I sold it after almost 12 years of ownership because...it was just time. Back then Sacha tacked the frames, and then DeSalvo rolled in to do them up. I don't know how it operates now. However, "knowing" Sacha and co, they are not leaving the fab up to those who are not more than capable.

The pic that Steve posted likely contained my frame. Good memories!

The frame was originally powder coated. After a few years, the powder coat developed some issues most evident where the headset cups met the head tube. They gave me a full respray sans charge. I was thankful.

I rode/raced the living daylights out of that bike. I can say that I loved it...and really mean it. I have nothing bad to say about the frame or the company. They always did right by me. That said, they are a small shop. The inhabitants of which are humans. So it's not always perfect.

Grace is always a good thing. It's good to give and so sweet to receive.

pdonk
04-24-2020, 06:02 PM
They must not have been very busy today, we've traded a few emails.

Provided a temp fix suggestion and will be sending touch up paint to make it look ok until winter when I'll send it back for inspection and proper touch up.

ultraman6970
04-24-2020, 07:08 PM
U really need to sand that paint off to check whats going on my friend.

kiwisimon
04-24-2020, 07:28 PM
don't sand anything, put on the touch up paint, ride the crap out of it and then let them have their way with it over the winter. win win.

charliedid
04-24-2020, 07:34 PM
They must not have been very busy today, we've traded a few emails.

Provided a temp fix suggestion and will be sending touch up paint to make it look ok until winter when I'll send it back for inspection and proper touch up.

Sounds reasonable.

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 12:56 AM
That one probably is a paint issue because of the joint, the big crack at the top is something even I would be having problems with.

Again... sand the paint off... check it out (FD area)...

As for the top part crack, cut the darn tube right there and put a clamp, problem solved.

Damn

romalor
04-25-2020, 04:29 AM
always have been interested but in the ride departement about sv
i'm not one to masturbate over paintjob or matchy matchy painted hubs

i feel like they have become the apple of '' customs '' bikes sorry

now is a great time to buy bikes
they are many others smaller builders not brands, that sell steel, stainless steel or titanium bikes with carbon ISP

if you want a vagen th'ats fine

madsciencenow
04-25-2020, 08:32 AM
Grace is always a good thing. It's good to give and so sweet to receive.

Timeless wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
04-25-2020, 08:44 AM
That one probably is a paint issue because of the joint, the big crack at the top is something even I would be having problems with.

Again... sand the paint off... check it out (FD area)...

As for the top part crack, cut the darn tube right there and put a clamp, problem solved.

Seat tube is carbon.

denapista
04-25-2020, 08:50 AM
Seat tube is carbon.

hahaha.. Everyone keeps saying cut the tube, when its carbon and it's the paint that's cracked..

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 11:23 AM
If the op doesnt sand the paint he wont know if its a crack in the paint or not.

As for cutting the tube, well i was talking about the SV at ebay... not the op's. But if the tube is really cracked and have enough neck to put clamp and there's no warranty, so why not? just measure the internal diameter really good tho, dont want to cut that to find out no seatpost fits in the hole :D

pbarry
04-25-2020, 12:09 PM
If the op doesnt sand the paint he wont know if its a crack in the paint or not.

As for cutting the tube, well i was talking about the SV at ebay... not the op's. But if the tube is really cracked and have enough neck to put clamp and there's no warranty, so why not? just measure the internal diameter really good tho, dont want to cut that to find out no seatpost fits in the hole :D

Yeah, and if the OP touches it, more than using touch-up paint, he'll negate any warranty.

Blown Reek
04-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Yeah, and if the OP touches it, more than using touch-up paint, he'll negate any warranty.

Yes, but...

1) SV now warns that this is going to happen as part of their warranty sheet and reminds you when you order.

ultraman6970
04-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Darn that sucks :(

That the op can do then is this... remove the seat top thingy with the saddle and drop some oil in the crack, then light a match inside and see if he gets fire hehehehe :D

Now seriously... drop some penetrating oil in there and put a lamp or something to see if you have oil inside, it will be really bright to the light.

If oil inside, send that thing to them and tell them you cant ride it. If they deny the warranty for a couple of drops of oil well...

denapista
04-25-2020, 03:18 PM

The frame on ebay has a carbon seat tube as well. I talked to the owner. Same issue that most people who had the carbon seat tube are experiencing.

The guy selling on ebay got that frame from Vanilla in 2010 with the early version of the Carbon Seat Tube painting junction. Also owns another SV, like Ryun. Seat tube isnt cracked, just the paint and needs to be stripped down and painted properly. Hot Tubes had recommended the same thing about the ebay frame.

kiwisimon
04-25-2020, 06:21 PM
]If the op doesnt sand the paint he wont know if its a crack in the paint or not.[/B]

maybe putting a UV light up the crack or pouring disinfectant in the BB might work as well. What do you have to lose?

Peter P.
04-25-2020, 08:41 PM

Is there a copy of their warranty on the internet? I'd like to read it.

Also, anyone know why the Speedvagen 2020 Guidebook (https://www.speedvagen.com/2020-guidebook) requires a password to view it? That wasn't the case with earlier Guidebooks.

jtbadge
04-25-2020, 08:47 PM

Also, anyone know why the Speedvagen 2020 Guidebook (https://www.speedvagen.com/2020-guidebook) requires a password to view it? That wasn't the case with earlier Guidebooks.

The guidebook was released early to email newsletter subscribers with some special offers.

peanutgallery
04-25-2020, 10:20 PM
Hipsters....

pdonk
04-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Found the warranty

GENERAL WARRANTY
The Vanilla Workshop guarantees our frames against failure of materials, or workmanship for the original owner for 10 years.
What does this mean? If something happens to your frame and it is determined by our warranty/repair department to be a result of some kind of defect in our workmanship or materials, we’ll take care of it. Shoot us an EMAIL or a call, we’ll look over the problem first via photos and then in person if need be.

Found the email that states the policy about the seat tube,

"Steel and carbon flex differently. We bond the two materials for your seat tube in a secure and durable fashion and add a "flexing agent" to our paint to allow for the difference in flex; however, there is a chance that over time the paint will show superficial stress fractures in the areas where the two meet. Because this is considered normal wear and tear on your bike and does not effect the performance of the bike, it is not covered under warranty."