PDA

View Full Version : Video: You Can't Do This

charliedid
04-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but just ran across it. I don't even know what to say.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/must-watch-fabio-wibmer-sends-huge-gaps-on-the-streets-of-paris-and-lyon.html

morrisericd
04-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Wow!

donevwil
04-22-2020, 06:29 PM
FS: MTB, ridden only once.

That near biff at the beginning got my attention.

d_douglas
04-22-2020, 06:29 PM
That is crazy. Having spent years living near there and travelling to this city many times, I dont know how this was made. I wouldn't think Parisiens would appreciate this and with a single person being hurt or a single car being damaged, or .... I would think they'd lynch him.

So much coordination to get those shots in a city like this!

d_douglas
04-22-2020, 06:31 PM
His riding against the curb on tight turns was remarkable. He is a great and daring cyclist that's for sure.

charliedid
04-22-2020, 06:36 PM
His riding against the curb on tight turns was remarkable. He is a great and daring cyclist that's for sure.

Railing those curbs is wild. Never seen that.

I would have gone over the handlebars so many times.

Lot's of cameras and a drones filming this.

Incredible.

gbcoupe
04-22-2020, 06:36 PM
I use curbs to corner like that all the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting. Dude has very impressive skills... and way more balls than brains!

lavi
04-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Compared to that, I don't know if what I do on a MTB is even considered mountain biking (even though that was an urban setting).

9tubes
04-22-2020, 06:44 PM
That's a great vid and a modern concept of this old film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPoiKiMRFQ

charliedid
04-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Compared to that, I don't know if what I do on a MTB is even considered mountain biking (even though that was an urban setting).

Seriously

I used to think I could skateboard and ride BMX and mountain bikes. I know I'm old but sometimes I see videos like this then next time I just want to go for a ride I'm like....screw it I'll just go for a walk. :-)

It's just not normal.

charliedid
04-22-2020, 06:51 PM
That's a great vid and a modern concept of this old film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPoiKiMRFQ

Funny you mention that, as I have thought the same.

Of course that was just a single POV camera.

duff_duffy
04-22-2020, 06:54 PM
That was awesome. Did you see the crashes at end? That makes all the rest even more impressive.

charliedid
04-22-2020, 06:57 PM
That was awesome. Did you see the crashes at end? That makes all the rest even more impressive.

Absolutely!

pdmtong
04-22-2020, 07:45 PM
I love watching pros send it in urban settings. Think of the Valparaiso (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=valpariaso+downhill) shots. Thanks for posting.

Red Bull Rampage takes it all though. Those lines are just crazy.

charliedid
04-22-2020, 08:02 PM
I love watching pros send it in urban settings. Think of the Valparaiso (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=valpariaso+downhill) shots. Thanks for posting.

Red Bull Rampage takes it all though. Those lines are just crazy.

They are all incredible and yes especially the races. Obviously they have ridden the course a ton but no do-overs on race day.

Great stuff.

That said I think this guy takes the cake for the big hits on the steps. Sick air

HenryA
04-22-2020, 08:13 PM
1. How is he still alive?

2. I would never want his used bike.

duff_duffy
04-22-2020, 08:28 PM
Now he could make an argument for the need for disc brakes and wider tires in an urban setting that I’d respect.

Matthew
04-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Very cool. Reminds me of the Hoonigan car videos.

kevinvc
04-23-2020, 09:37 AM
It was cool and everything, but could he do it on a hardtail 29er?

msl819
04-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but just ran across it. I don't even know what to say.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/must-watch-fabio-wibmer-sends-huge-gaps-on-the-streets-of-paris-and-lyon.html

You are correct... I can't do that! In the mid 90's i was in San Francisco one evening when we heard a noise I could not place. About 30 secs later a group of 20-30 MTBer's came flying down one of the step and winding city streets of SF, weaving in and out of stuff, jumping stuff. I am sure people thought it was irresponsible and dangerous, and probably why people hate MTBer's, but it was beyond cool to my 19/20 year old mind.

d_douglas
04-23-2020, 11:26 AM
You are correct... I can't do that! In the mid 90's i was in San Francisco one evening when we heard a noise I could not place. About 30 secs later a group of 20-30 MTBer's came flying down one of the step and winding city streets of SF, weaving in and out of stuff, jumping stuff. I am sure people thought it was irresponsible and dangerous, and probably why people hate MTBer's, but it was beyond cool to my 19/20 year old mind.

Similarly, I recall sitting in Sociology 201 class (or whichever) at university and hearing the incessant screeching of bikes outside the classroom. I looked out and a group of guys were trials riding on a fountain hardscape about 50m away, Magura rim brakes howling and bash plates destroying the concrete seating.

It was a great distraction to watch, but now that I manage the condition of public buildings as a career, I can’t help but wonder why the campus security goons didn’t come boot them out for trashing the property, and making wayyyy to much noise.

Oh, to be young again ;)

msl819
04-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Similarly, I recall sitting in Sociology 201 class (or whichever) at university and hearing the incessant screeching of bikes outside the classroom. I looked out and a group of guys were trials riding on a fountain hardscape about 50m away, Magura rim brakes howling and bash plates destroying the concrete seating.

It was a great distraction to watch, but now that I manage the condition of public buildings as a career, I can’t help but wonder why the campus security goons didn’t come boot them out for trashing the property, and making wayyyy to much noise.

Oh, to be young again ;)

I was riding our local trail yesterday and there is a section where a younger version of myself might have tried to jump a gap but given my age and desire not to make an emergency room visit these day, I decided against it.

As you say... Oh to be young again!

AngryScientist
04-23-2020, 02:04 PM
pfff

i was on that group text

did on my fixed gear.

he was chasing me.

charliedid
04-23-2020, 03:55 PM
It was cool and everything, but could he do it on a hardtail 29er?

Ha! Surely you jest...

charliedid
04-23-2020, 03:55 PM
I was riding our local trail yesterday and there is a section where a younger version of myself might have tried to jump a gap but given my age and desire not to make an emergency room visit these day, I decided against it.

As you say... Oh to be young again!

I know that younger and older self!

charliedid
04-23-2020, 03:57 PM
pfff

i was on that group text

did on my fixed gear.

he was chasing me.

Dude....wake up....wake up!

Whoa, I was having the craziest dream.

:)