PDA

View Full Version : I really do love my employer.

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 11:28 AM
We don't make helmets for roadies or mtb nerds like me (and maybe you), we make helmets for every day folks — for people that don't buy or wear helmets because they look "ugly" or are designed for more "Serious cyclists." They're for the folks that commute < 10 miles or ride with their kids on the weekend.

We also (like I mean every employee) care a lot about diversity, kindness, how we affect each other and what we do to the planet.

To that end, I'm pretty proud that we've introduced the following initiative. We've spent the better part of a year figuring things out, being audited, becoming a B-Corp, figuring out how we could do more than the bare minimum.

Yeah, part of this is marketing. Of course it is. But it's also us proving to all the other companies that we care and proving to our customers that it's possible.

https://www.explorethousand.com/pages/110

fiamme red
04-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Where are your products made? I'm just curious, and I can't find it on the website.

The gloves look nice.

mtechnica
04-22-2020, 11:34 AM
That sounds wonderful loving the company you work for. Do you guys need a mechanical engineer? :p

arimajol
04-22-2020, 11:39 AM
My wife fell in love with the gold helmet and just had to have it. I got it for her for her birthday last August and she loves it. I'm glad to know it's a good company. Keep up the good work!

mulp
04-22-2020, 11:40 AM
thats encouraging to hear, more companies should be like yours!

Blue Jays
04-22-2020, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear you enjoy your workplace.

azrider
04-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Wow lots of neat things on there: Free helmets to 'essential' bike couriers, free accident replacement, free crash replacement.

Very cool.

Are you in the "Message from our Founder" video ? ;)

polyhistoric
04-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Always excellent to see a company/brand putting their ethics upfront. It's a lot of work to get there, y'all should be proud and revel in it.

Next up, tell your folks to update the trademark portfolio. Your Logo, stylization, and scope of coverage is limited (not to mention being managed directly by the co-founder). Lots of opportunity there...

mistermo
04-22-2020, 11:50 AM
That's great! And I'm sure it's a good company.

In a world of 3 second attention spans, there's nothing telling me who the company is/does/sells on the home page you linked. Seems it's expected that I'll burrow in further, into the good causes, when I don't even know what the company is.

Please take this as constructive.

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Where are your products made? I'm just curious, and I can't find it on the website.

The gloves look nice.

The usual suspects: China, Pakistan, Taiwan.

We've seen a HUGE uptick in sinophobia over the past 2 months in our helpdesk chats and on FB. Super bummer!

Fun Fact about our helmet MFG: We just transitioned to them this past year. One of the reasons we did was because they have a mandate from their CEO (not the Chinese govt) to reduce their carbon footprint by 50% by 2022 (they've already cut it by 35%), are actively developing ways to recycle PC + ABS scrap into new helmets and have almost completely removed (like 90% reduction) solvent painting from their MFG process.

I've worked with a bunch of Chinese MFGs over the past 6-7 years. This is, by far, the best in terms of environmental concern.

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 11:54 AM
That's great! And I'm sure it's a good company.

In a world of 3 second attention spans, there's nothing telling me who the company is/does/sells on the home page you linked. Seems it's expected that I'll burrow in further, into the good causes, when I don't even know what the company is.

Please take this as constructive.

Top of the page.
About Us.

NHAero
04-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Very cool!
The employee-owned design/build firm I work for is also a B Corp. A lotta work to get there, and maintain it!

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Wow lots of neat things on there: Free helmets to 'essential' bike couriers, free accident replacement, free crash replacement.

Very cool.

Are you in the "Message from our Founder" video ? ;)

No, that's Amar, he's the co-founder and handles most of the OPS stuff.

So far I have not appeared in anything except the Halloween IG posts.

mistermo
04-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Top of the page.
About Us.

Understood, I get it. The assumption in your statement is that I want to learn more about a company I don't know about. Why would I do this, when I don't know enough about what the company is/does to care to learn more?

I'm merely saying, and trying to be helpful, that there should be something on the page that immediately tells viewer what company does/sells, in this case helmets and gloves. There's nothing that ties into this.

seanile
04-22-2020, 12:36 PM
Understood, I get it. The assumption in your statement is that I want to learn more about a company I don't know about. Why would I do this, when I don't know enough about what the company is/does to care to learn more?

I'm merely saying, and trying to be helpful, that there should be something on the page that immediately tells viewer what company does/sells, in this case helmets and gloves. There's nothing that ties into this.

are you sure you're looking at the homepage? their landing page is all about their helmet collection (the link put up by OP was not to the homepage)

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 12:43 PM

Understood. The link I posted was a direct link to the 110% initiative.

Our home page is www.explorethousand.com

Is that what you were hoping for?

kevinvc
04-22-2020, 12:45 PM
How are they as far as breathe-ability and air flow. I could imagine wearing something like this for my daily commute if it's not as hot and stuffy as a Nutcase.

mistermo
04-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Understood. The link I posted was a direct link to the 110% initiative.

Our home page is www.explorethousand.com

Is that what you were hoping for?

Thanks. That helps immensely. Yes, I was thinking the link you initially posted was your homepage.

72gmc
04-22-2020, 12:51 PM
My wife is coveting one of your company's helmets.

A potential silver lining for me is the re-kindling of her interest in riding. Once we're past sheltering I'll be glad to turn one rider's local errands into rides for two.

robt57
04-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Thanks. That helps immensely. Yes, I was thinking the link you initially posted was your homepage.

Agree, the linked page initial effect on me was to depart. It took another post in the thread to make me curious enough to go back in all honesty.

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 01:49 PM
How are they as far as breathe-ability and air flow. I could imagine wearing something like this for my daily commute if it's not as hot and stuffy as a Nutcase.

Our Heritage helmet isn't really breathable. It's one of the flaws it's also a little heavy (but ASTM certified so it can take multiple hits).

We've been developing a new helmet that should launch in June. The Chapter will address those issues along with having MIPS and being more visible from behind. Fellow Paceliner, BicycleTricycle, helped us with some design + CAD work.

One of our colors will have a super awesome + unique visor as well. Perfect for those of you wearing navy blazers and khakies.

Drmojo
04-22-2020, 02:22 PM
and eco friendly company
but
looks to be poorly ventilated?
And many “ smart helmets” are safer AND stylish
And ventilated
And have blinky safety!!!
Torch
Lumos
and many many others

charliedid
04-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Great stuff.

false_Aest
04-22-2020, 02:59 PM
and eco friendly company
but
looks to be poorly ventilated?
And many “ smart helmets” are safer AND stylish
And ventilated
And have blinky safety!!!
Torch
Lumos
and many many others

You make a good point. We've certainly received feedback about ventilation but it's significantly less than what I expected. Good YoY growth as well as key accounts in Indonesia, Singapore, + EU are telling us that ventilation isn't as big of a friction point as "looks" — at least for our type of customer. And when you consider the brands/models we compete directly with, we're "in line."

That's not to say we haven't recognized the flaws and strive to improve the produce line-up.

Re: Lumos + other brands that have lights built in. I spent a good year looking at all the other offerings out there. I even followed a cyclist around on my commute home (in my car) to get an understand of just how bright the Lumos actually is and whether or not it's a good product in a city like Los Angeles. My conclusion is that Lumos and a few other brands are going in the right direction but haven't nailed it quite yet.

That's all I can say right now. Keep your eyes open.

2000m2
04-22-2020, 04:14 PM
Good looking lids and cool to know it's a nice place to work.

How hot and stuffy is a Nutcase? :confused:

kevinvc
04-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Good looking lids and cool to know it's a nice place to work.

How hot and stuffy is a Nutcase? :confused:

I walked around in my LBS wearing one to try out its comfort level. Within 10 minutes I had to take it off because I was starting to sweat and didn't want to have to buy it because it was no longer fit for sale. From that limited experience I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work even for commuting purposes.

My daughter and wife both wear them and don't have problems. It may be just that I'm a heavier sweater.

d_douglas
04-22-2020, 06:13 PM
I think these are very stylish.

However, I dont think I would use this on a MTB or 'hard' road ride - I would get just too hot. I could see commuting with this helmet. That said, I might not bother buying a dedicated commuting helmet - I just use my road or MTB helmet and call it a day.

They look very cool though - lots of thought put into the form.

merckx
04-22-2020, 06:43 PM
A very long time ago I was an engineer for a company who made these. We should talk.

fiamme red
04-22-2020, 07:06 PM
A very long time ago I was an engineer for a company who made these. We should talk.Abbott and Costello Meet the Keystone Kops! :)

m_sasso
04-23-2020, 02:07 AM
Have someone proof read your web pages, simple spelling mistakes along with sizing oddities on your glove measurements.

redir
04-23-2020, 09:37 AM
They are cool looking helmets. If I wore one for commuting I'd probably get one of those :D :eek: