PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Wheelset (All-Road)

ciclista_tifoso
04-21-2020, 03:33 PM

HI all --

Welcome thoughts/recommendations on a set of wheels for a bike build (titanium frame, disc brakes -- waiting for it to be built).

I come from riding a series of carbon road bikes over the years -- currently own an Emonda SLR, which is excellent on the road/ascents -- but am shifting to more verstatile riding on varied terrain. I've only used alloy rims to this point (the Emonda is my first road disc-brake bike). Part of my decision process also involves determining if I should go with Alloy or Carbon.

I've been eyeing the Reynolds ATR (carbon), and also the Industry Nine AR25 TRA (alloy), but those are on the hi-end of my ideal budget. Any suggestions that stay within ~$1K would be ideal.

I'm sure this topic may have already been covered before -- I'll be using the search function shortly, but figured a 'refresher' would be useful as well.

Thanks all.

floxy1
04-21-2020, 03:46 PM
I’ve been using the November Cafe Racer 46 with i9 hubs and loving them. Have done probably a dozen 100-150 mile gravel races on them and some harsh rides in AZ and they are as true as day 1.

Andy sti
04-21-2020, 04:00 PM
I'll second November. I have the GOAT 28s to i9 hubs. 24hole front and rear with cx-rays and alloy nips. Love them.

ciclista_tifoso
04-21-2020, 04:05 PM

Appreciate the suggestions! Haven't heard of them, but will definitely add them to my list of wheels to research.

ltwtsculler91
04-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Bontrager Aeolus 3V are a great set of wheels for around $1200, plus the Bontrager warranty on wheels is fantastic if anything goes wrong.

I have two sets of rim brake Aeolus wheels on my Ti and steel bikes and love them

XXtwindad
04-21-2020, 04:12 PM
I'll second November. I have the GOAT 28s to i9 hubs. 24hole front and rear with cx-rays and alloy nips. Love them.

Big i9 fan. Where are the rims made?

ciclista_tifoso
04-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Bontrager Aeolus 3V are a great set of wheels for around $1200, plus the Bontrager warranty on wheels is fantastic if anything goes wrong.

I have two sets of rim brake Aeolus wheels on my Ti and steel bikes and love them

Indeed, I've been looking at those as well -- my current wheels are Bontrager (alloy, disc - Paradigm Elite. I may keep them if I decide to sell my current bike).

Aeolus would be a good add to my list.

Hilltopperny
04-21-2020, 05:48 PM
I really love my ATRs, but my favorite on my ti gravel bike are HED Belgium+ to Ck hubs for most of the riding I do. I will throw my 650b ATRs on if I know it’s going to get a little tougher, but that is really for the larger tire volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
04-21-2020, 05:52 PM
I really love my ATRs, but my favorite on my ti gravel bike are HED Belgium+ to Ck hubs for most of the riding I do. I will throw my 650b ATRs on if I know it’s going to get a little tougher, but that is really for the larger tire volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great wheels. Can you really tell the difference between high end alu and carbon?

one60
04-22-2020, 04:50 AM
Based on recommendations from folks here and other forums, I have a pair of tubeless gravel disc wheels on the way from LightBicycle in China. DT350 straight pull hubs, Pillar spokes and WR38 hooked rims (32mm external/25mm internal width).

Search around a bit, there was a recent thread which spoke well of LB, BTLOS and a few other carbon rims from Chinese carbon manufacturers.

oldpotatoe
04-22-2020, 06:05 AM
If you'd like something designed for you, give me a shout..like DT350 hubs laced to BTLOS rims(MANY options) using a mix of Sapim spokes(CXRay, CXSprint Laser, D-Lite or Race)..right about $1k...DT411 rims, about $300 less...

cp51errc@gmail.com

Cgeisler
04-22-2020, 07:49 AM
You might look at Hunt -- never owned them but super reasonably priced and generally good reviews.

November Dave
04-22-2020, 09:50 AM
Big i9 fan. Where are the rims made?

China, like most others.

The benefits of carbon in disc wheels these days is generally lower weight and higher impact resistance, which comes at a price of $. Since disc rims are now actually built for disc specific use and avoid the finicky and brittle high temp resins, carbon's positive attributes can come through.

You might notice a bit of feel difference in carbon versus high grade alloy rims. Inasmuch as I can personally feel it, it's small. There are a lot of other parts in the system sending noise into that signal. Current carbon disc wheels can take one heck of a whack and laugh at it, though.

eddief
04-22-2020, 10:01 AM
a little heavier than some but i love how they roll and quick engagement. the weights listed here are the ones from my postal scale as Ritchey is / was advertising them with less than accurate gram counts. want warranty, then get them for extra bucks from US vendor.

https://www.starbike.com/en/ritchey-wcs-zeta-tubeless-ready-clincher-disc-centerlock-wheelset-700c-black/?currency=USD&vat=hide&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5ryVD772CHyHg7cVtIFI 8PnFGPwjcCxu0jRtEKWu7fEQUUYXs9TgCRoC2lYQAvD_BwE

ciclista_tifoso
04-22-2020, 10:07 AM

Great suggestions across the board. Thanks all

[oldpotatoe - I may take you up on your offer.]

Hikyle2
04-22-2020, 10:07 AM
I have a set of HED Belgium+ with CK hubs that are so bomber. I weigh 220 and have taken them on some really rough roads and they are still completely true. Even at a low spoke count for me.

If you can't get the CK hubs I would get those rims with DT350 and you will probably never have to touch the wheels again other than to change tires.

Fixed
04-22-2020, 11:26 AM
Just ordered Santa Cruz private reserve carbons with d.t. 350 hubs
Cheers