PDA

View Full Version : New VanMoof S3 & X3 Bikes

ORMojo
04-21-2020, 02:56 PM
VanMoof released their new models today. Quite a few improvements, and substantially lower price. Very clean integration of hydraulic discs, same for the display. I'm intrigued. Lots of articles to choose from, here are links to two.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/4/21/21227976/vanmoof-s3-electric-bike-review-price-specs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2020/04/21/vanmoofs-new-s3-electric-bike-same-great-design-huge-price-drop-make-it-a-bargain/

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/jlNX4kUZdqdoDYzSrsYAMC81Mx8=/0x0:2040x1351/1400x933/filters:focal(852x491:1178x817):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/66682391/verge_DSC_7476_2040pxl.0.jpg

kevinvc
04-21-2020, 06:53 PM
I like a lot of things about these. I was considering a belt-drive ebike over the winter as I slogged through a new longer commute and continual chain cleaning. Unfortunately, there are very few offerings with both of these features and I couldn't really justify the investment for just one.

The Farradays were nice and I was close to buying a new one when they essentially went under. I had a line on a nice Pedego Conveyor, but it's so bulky and heavy it wasn't that appealing. These VanMoofs might be worth a look if I can get on better financial ground by next winter. Thanks for sharing.

jwin
04-21-2020, 07:24 PM
I have an X2 and my biggest complaint that they didn’t fix here is full length brake levers instead of 1 finger levers. Especially now that they’re hydraulic.

You can’t bomb down rough terrain and brake at the same time.

Also, it doesn’t have enough power and gears for the hills in Seattle. On the flats it’s great.

Otherwise it’s pretty splendid, this seems like a nice upgrade except the damn levers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinvc
04-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Also, it doesn’t have enough power and gears for the hills in Seattle. On the flats it’s great.

Hmm, I'm curious about that. 40 lbs doesn't sound too horrible for an ebike and it looks like the gearing is pretty decent. My commute doesn't have hills as extreme as some in Seattle (go Timbers!), but it's not exactly flat. What would you estimate is the max grade and length that this could comfortably manage?

jwin
04-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I'm curious about that. 40 lbs doesn't sound too horrible for an ebike and it looks like the gearing is pretty decent. My commute doesn't have hills as extreme as some in Seattle (go Timbers!), but it's not exactly flat. What would you estimate is the max grade and length that this could comfortably manage?

I haven’t got that much time on it yet, but I would say probably 5% grade it’ll still feel pretty sprightly. At about 7.5% grade I think you would feel somewhat slow and at that grade for more than 1/3-1/2 mile it would start to overheat and slow down even more.

Long even graded hills it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galactus
05-08-2020, 03:29 AM
Does anyone know if the S3 engine can handle a bicycle carrier with two kids (approx 60 pounds) or will it stop at any hill?

jwin
05-08-2020, 04:39 AM
Honestly, I just bought a full suspension Bosch Performance Line Speed mid-drive bike and it's...no contest. I wouldn't load more than 200lbs on the Vanmoof and expect to go at a reasonable clip.

After riding a mid-drive bike, I just wouldn't buy a hub motor bike. I see no advantage except price. That usually isn't much of a driving factor around these forums.

The "security" features of this Vanmoof just annoy the crap out of me. Every time I move it while locked it makes a horrible sound. In my house. If I don't lock it the lights don't go off. If I leave auto-wake on the lights turn on every time I walk by it. I still carry a bike lock, and the built-in lock is only useful when I run in for a coffee somewhere.

It's just...great idea, meh execution, and most importantly not really neccessary. Don't get me wrong, any e-bike is fun and useful - but there are definitely different levels of that. The Vanmoof did not have that "fun" factor for me. It also is full of proprietary parts which is also plain annoying. A Specialized Turbo Vado will outshine it 1,000,000:1. You're paying a $1k premium from Vanmoof for their software, propriety parts, branding, and looks. You can find the looks elsewhere on a middrive - you don't need the rest.

Bottom line is: don't settle for a Vanmoof. That's my opinion.

Disclaimer: I have the X2 not the new generation.