PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pro4 Endurance Replacement

joev
04-20-2020, 11:11 PM
My Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25c tires are living on borrowed time and I need to find a replacement that rides just as nice. I read that the Power Endurance tires don't have the same side protection and might be a little smaller. I have a great pair of HED Belgium+ rims and the Pro4 tires measure 29mm. I run between 75 and 80 psi and the ride had gotten better as I brought down the pressure to this point. No pinch flats and no more wincing on chip seal roads. They have given good service. One other point. I tried 28c's on the rims and that set-up was too wide from the frame/brakes. Lucky break for an old Cannondale that got that pair of tires.

Any suggestions on a tire/size that might give me the same ride and flat protection? Thx!

skouri1
04-21-2020, 06:07 AM
I loved that tire. Got the krylion 2 as a replacement and it wasn't as nice...
Now I'm on gravelkings , somewhat curious about the vittorias or gp5000 when these wear out.
The tire bead on Michelin clinchers was driving me nuts. Sooo tight. . Literally ripped a hole in my hand fixing a flat.

mass_biker
04-21-2020, 07:15 AM
Have Panaracer Gravelking "smooth" (the one with the file treads) on two of my bikes.

One bike - the C50 - has the 700x26. I run these on the HED ardennes (not the "+" variety) with enough clearance.

Another bike - All City Mr. Pink - has the 700x32. I run these on pretty wide DT road rims. These are a "true" 32, so plenty big.

In the past I have also run the 700x28.

I find these Panaracer tires to be quite durable and supple. In full disclosure, I also run Conti GP4k on my "fast" bike, but when they wear out, I am considering going Panaracer across the board.

Besides, tan sidewalls are cool too.

Black Dog
04-21-2020, 07:21 AM
Scwable durano are very much like the pro4 endurance. I can't tell any difference.

Dave
04-21-2020, 08:12 AM
I've had great luck with the 25mm power endurance tires. They ride just fine and I've never owned tires with such a long lasting tread. I have them on both of my bikes, with 17mm internal width Zonda wheels.

charliedid
04-21-2020, 08:23 AM
I have a set of Rubino Pro 25's in classifieds. They in theory fit the bill and are pretty accurate size wise. I prefer 28's or I'd just ride em.

OldCrank
04-21-2020, 10:04 AM
I like the ride of both Pro4 and Power Endurances.
The Pro4s feel just slightly cushier and the Powers feel a little grippier.
Totally unscientific observations here.
Had pretty good luck with them - one spate of Power pinchflats on carbon rims last summer, can't really blame the tire.

Either tire can be had for $30 or so, a good value ATMO.

Schwalbe Ones also ride nice, especially tubeless.

ToonaBP
04-21-2020, 06:32 PM
I've been using Michelin since before the Pro2's.
Down to my last spare Pro4 Comp and Pro4 Endurance.
Researched Vittoria Corsa, Conty 5000 and the new Power Endurance. Almost ordered the Corsas, but decided to ignore the negative Power Endurance reviews and try them for myself. Hope I like them as well as the previous version...

Ralph
04-21-2020, 06:37 PM
The regular Pro4 in front and Endurance in rear makes a good combination. What I use. I get more flats in rear, front tire kicks nail up, rear runs over it. So need the Endurance in rear more than front. But our roads are smooth and mostly clean around here. They also wear out about the same time that way.

Andy sti
04-21-2020, 07:59 PM
The Pro4 Endurance was a great tire. It tested really well for it's rolling resistance too. I just went through this exact process and replaced mine with 28mm GP 5000. The 5000 is more true to size when compared to the 4000. If you're looking for something with decent ride feel and rolls somewhat efficiently try these. The 28mm version should work perfectly for you.

steelbikerider
04-21-2020, 08:47 PM
I really liked the Pro4 Endurance. When my last set gave out I got a good deal on 25mm GP4000's. The tread lasted longer with fewer flats but a harsher ride.

I have set of 28mm 5000's with latex tubes now that are closer in ride to the Michelins but stillnot there. They are about 1 mm wider than then the 25mm Pro4 Endurance. The best setup I have is a set of 25mm Power race tires with latex tubes for my steel bike. Has a nice feel that isn't too far away from a sew-up(tubular).

When the 4000's get replaced on my training wheel set, I will likely try the 28mm Power Endurance. They should be close in size.

joev
04-21-2020, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input! Now considering the Schwalbe Durano in 25c or the Conti 5000 in the 28C.

My surprise was how wide the Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25c's on the HED Belgian + rims turned out to be. Truly the "Goldilocks" of tires for my rims and frame. Hoping the Conti 5000s are a bit narrower than the Michelins so as not to rub the brakes when put on the + rims.

A bit down that tire rabbit hole...I see two Schwalbe's out there. A DD and Plus and would pick the DD's since they are a bit lighter. The DD's are "all around training tire that incorporates Double Defense technology to ward off punctures and sidewall damage" whereas the Plus are "the tire to get if you're having problems with flats and want a "racing bike" tire. The Durano Plus has a SmartGuard belt that provides extremely effective protection against penetration punctures".

Hmmm. Double Defense vs SmartGuard belt. Marketing?

jwalther
04-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Hoping the Conti 5000s are a bit narrower than the Michelins so as not to rub the brakes when put on the + rims.

The 25mm 5000s measure 29mm on my Belgium+ rims.