PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 8070 hydro brake hose

Overshot
04-20-2020, 08:29 AM
I am in the process of installing a new 8070 lever and caliper set. I shortened the hoses with a new barb / olive kit and bled. Everything appears to be working good and is leak free.

It was only after I reassembled everything I realized I used the kit with the brass barb, not the grey steel one that came with the original. From all the research I can find online the grey one has a slightly lager OD to work with the BH-90 hose.

Question is, use it like this, or replace it? If I replace it I will likely need new hoses as there is probably not enough slack to cut back and add new barbs.

Input is welcomed on this!
Thx

Velocipede
04-20-2020, 08:41 AM
There are slight differences in the hole diameter as well as the edge of the barb. One is slightly beveled(Not even noticeable) and one isn't. The silver barb also has a very small cut in it. Again, not even noticeable unless you look hard at them.

Will you be ok? Yeah, you'll be ok. Once the olive compressed it all ends up being the same inside the lever. Just keep an eye on it every so often but you should be fine.

Overshot
04-20-2020, 09:00 AM
There are slight differences in the hole diameter as well as the edge of the barb. One is slightly beveled(Not even noticeable) and one isn't. The silver barb also has a very small cut in it. Again, not even noticeable unless you look hard at them.

Will you be ok? Yeah, you'll be ok. Once the olive compressed it all ends up being the same inside the lever. Just keep an eye on it every so often but you should be fine.

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I will keep an eye on it for sure. What would be the worst case scenario with it, leaking some oil around the fitting? Air being introduced? Slower oil flow rate through the hose?

Thanks again

Velocipede
04-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I will keep an eye on it for sure. What would be the worst case scenario with it, leaking some oil around the fitting? Air being introduced? Slower oil flow rate through the hose?

Thanks again

The oil rate and leaking would be the issues. BUT, I've had to use different barbs in a pinch on a personal bike and never had an issue. The hole diameter is so minute that I've never noticed a difference. And honestly I have no idea why the one barb has a very slight channel in the end of the barb. I mean, there's no seal so who knows. And I've never had a leaking problem. If you do the barb/olive/nut correctly, I'd be surprised if they'd ever leak. They are pretty well secured.

Velocipede
04-20-2020, 09:29 AM
I've never seen the little channel on the gold barb compressed. So I am not 100% sure why it's there.