PDA

View Full Version : So, I broke a keywin carbon pedal today :/

ultraman6970
04-19-2020, 09:55 PM
No i did not have an accident, many will stop reading here hehehe :D

Went to a ride, all ok.. got off the bike half way, some stretches and there u go... went back home, at the 1st light noticed that my right pedal cleat was stuck!... my right leg is my "get off the bike leg".

Arrived like a water fountain area to check it out, couldnt uncleat so had to remove the foot from the shoe. got off the bike and yanked she craaa@aaaaap out of the shoe and i was able to remove it.

For the ones that are familiar with the keywin pedals, the engaging lip the one that does the click sound was gone!... called wife to pick me up like 30 minutes down the road so continued riding with the right shoe lose :/

When I got to the car, the 0 degrees cap was gone also. Those never fall off (at least to me) so what I think it happened but is hard not to notice, is that the 0 degree cap fell off and since the floating was messing me up i was not able to twist enough to unclip, or.. the darn pedal cracked somehow and the cap fell off when I yanked the shoe off the pedal, who knows :/ Maybe a rock got stuck in the cleat.. cant figure this one out :/

Pedal really reliable, have to check my box now and see if i have another set or buy a new body or a kit to rebuilt, good thing they sell every single piece of those pedals.

rustychisel
04-19-2020, 10:03 PM
I'm still on old skool Keywins... about 5 pairs. Eventually something will break on them, I suppose.

Anyway, glad it wasn't a major issue for you involving loss of skin (or worse).

robt57
04-19-2020, 10:11 PM
I have some as old as 21 years old.

One time a pebble embedded in the cleat and became a lock. I had to pull my foot outta the shoe. Then got the shoe/cleat off, without breaking it. Dug out the pebble and rode on.

I have only lost right cleats to wear, tab breaks out.. Except one bearing cover popped off, and someone on the ride said, is that plastic part of your pedal? So it was not lost. ;)

I remember thinking the first pairs, how the cleat could not possibly last looking at it. I have gone thru 5-6 right cleats in 21 years.

Still my favorite road pedal.

rustychisel
04-19-2020, 10:50 PM
same same. I tightened the spindle bearings once or twice, and I'm on my 6th or 7th set of cleats (over 2 or 3 pairs of shoes).

10 years ago I popped a bearing cover, too. Bought a new one.

ultraman6970
04-20-2020, 12:54 AM
Good thing the body is not that expensive, will call tomorrow to see if they are actually working. Probably the best is to get that rebuilt kit that has 2 bodies plus the covers caps and a few other places.

The nice about the carbon is that is super easy to put back together. Have a set of the CRM I havent used yet and greasing them (got them used) was not hard but the little plastic arm that goes attached to the bearing and the screw to control the friction of the play is something I havent figure it out how to remove for inspection.

Oh well... bad times to get stuff broken for sure! :/

martl
04-20-2020, 01:55 AM
Also a keywin fanboi here, i got two pairs which i keep coming back to (other pedal system i use is old Dura Ace SPD 7400 which i like at certain occasions because i can use MTB style shoes i can actually walk in).

The durability of the Keywin is remarkable, mine last since ~2005, given that the whole design doesn't really scream "quality" with all those plastic bits, cheapo rollerblade bearings embedded in rubber etc. I guess it is just very well designed or the Keywin guys were incredibly lucky :)

Also i found to my delight that i still can order shoe plates and otrher bits for them.