PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fitness Equipment at Home Recommendations?

hokoman
04-19-2020, 09:03 PM
I am so out shape, and I've been contemplating hooking up my Kickr and getting back on Zwift after a pretty lame try at it last winter... Anyhow, I belong to my local neighborhood FB groups, and it's amazing (but not surprising) to me how many people are buying gym equipment for home and people have been discussing different exercise bikes that are sold out, where to get weights, etc.

I went onto the Concept2 website, they are sold out on all 3 models and when I do a search on craigslist and FB marketplace, it is crazy how much people are asking for theirs, but just like other things - it's a supply/demand issue.

Have you stayed on your trainers or are some of you going out on runs/rides? I know there were some good responses on the Covid thread, but that one is all over the place. NY is another month out (at a minimum), I would probably buy a rowing machine. Treadmills kill me, just like a stationary bike. Anything else I'm not thinking about?

XXtwindad
04-19-2020, 09:10 PM
Well, if you’re really out of shape, I’d be wary of doing anything too high impact in order to protect your knees. I’d rule out that stairmaster, for example. I think the elliptical machine is a good choice, or the standard stationary bike.

Ultimately, the best piece of equipment and best workout regimen is the one you use the most.

fiamme red
04-19-2020, 09:11 PM
Have you stayed on your trainers or are some of you going out on runs/rides? I know there were some good responses on the Covid thread, but that one is all over the place. NY is another month out (at a minimum), I would probably buy a rowing machine. Treadmills kill me, just like a stationary bike. Anything else I'm not thinking about?I went out for a ride up to and around the Bronx today. I'll take that over a trainer ride any day.

I used Concept2 a bit this winter, and while the screen gives you some motivation, in the end it's pretty mind-numbing.

PSC
04-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Agree about Concept 2 rower, it is boring. After about 20 minutes I'm done, great workout though. I really miss going to the gym and lifting free weights, but I was able to adapt with a bodyweight routine and I was lucky enough get the Total Gym from Costco to add variety. I go to the gym at my local military base and fear that they will be closed for some time, as I think will be the case for all gyms.

Dired
04-19-2020, 10:34 PM
I picked up a set of Swedish stall bars with rings a few weeks ago to keep the kids occupied. Pretty happy with the results for the whole family. Tons of different exercise options and they look like furniture. The crazy part was 2 day delivery from Scandinavia.

hokoman
04-20-2020, 12:31 AM
I went out for a ride up to and around the Bronx today. I'll take that over a trainer ride any day.

I live near Prospect Park, but don't want to be out on the roads with everyone else - that's my personal take about shelter in place. In my neighborhood, there are tons of people running and they just zip by people walking (within a foot). The only time I am going out of the house is when I go (food) shopping, or to work (I work at NY Presbyterian Hospital). To get fresh air, I'll sit on my stoop that is 20 feet away from the sidewalk - and I have a pretty big backyard that I let my kids ride their bikes in and scoot around on so I'll sit in the backyard.

I've used a rower one time, that was at my gym in Sao Paulo, and I thought it was fun. I worked pretty hard for 30 or 40 minutes and left feeling great about the workout, but that was a couple years ago and it was just one time. Suppose I should start by limiting my consumption (see my thread that I started about a BBQ :crap:

benb
04-20-2020, 06:13 AM
Weights are a really good place to start. Don’t take too much room and don’t cost too much. I bought my first set of weights in high school. Strength training is clearly a big weakness for most of us cyclists. Still a weak point for me no matter how much I try to discipline myself to do it. I feel way safer doing weights right now than riding and I don’t live in a big city.

A bench or even a cage barely takes more room than putting a bike on a trainer.

I’ve never owned a rower but I must have a rower gene. I find the rower way less boring than riding on a trainer. It works more muscle groups and has more form to concentrate on. I’ve spent plenty of time rowing boats but have never tried crew.

I ordered some gymnastics rings for pull ups. They’re really inexpensive. Pretty excited for them to show up.

AngryScientist
04-20-2020, 06:30 AM
i maintain that the rowing machine is one of the best workout out there, especially if you practice good form.

my thinking is that even when lockdown restrictions are lifted, people will be hesitant to return to gyms, especially if they have figured out a workable fitness regiment at home.

That said, i think you need very little actual equipment to get and stay in shape at home. the turbo trainer and a yoga mat should do it.

start with circuit workouts. 10 minutes turbo, 25 push-ups, 25 crunches, 10 minutes turbo. progress from there.

i dont blame you for not wanting to ride inside NYC. there's just no way to keep good distance in such a densely populated place.

out here, literally 8 miles from you in NJ, i can ride all day and not come into contact with anyone, thankfully.

R3awak3n
04-20-2020, 06:36 AM
I heard yesterday parks were bursting at the seams in NYC so it definitely is getting harder to ride safely in NYC. But to be fair, even before Corona, parks were not great place to ride during the weekend and I usually only went very early in the morning, I am not there right now but I bet at 6:00AM, prospect park is probably still decently empty but I could be wrong.

As far as indoor, I am not a fan either but just spent a few months doing trainer road and it helps to have a program so its easier to stick to it. You are out of shape which it will account for. Do an FTP test (takes 20 minutes) and then put an arbitrary goal on your Calendar and it will make a nice plan for you to follow, its pretty great. 1 hour of the trainer is not that bad and you can always do a little less to start and then increase as you go

fiamme red
04-20-2020, 08:43 AM
I live near Prospect Park, but don't want to be out on the roads with everyone else - that's my personal take about shelter in place. In my neighborhood, there are tons of people running and they just zip by people walking (within a foot). The only time I am going out of the house is when I go (food) shopping, or to work (I work at NY Presbyterian Hospital). To get fresh air, I'll sit on my stoop that is 20 feet away from the sidewalk - and I have a pretty big backyard that I let my kids ride their bikes in and scoot around on so I'll sit in the backyard.I avoid bike paths, segregated bike lanes, and parks (except empty ones like Crotona Park). The streets and avenues are pretty empty now. Riding around the city isn't like doing laps in Prospect Park, but it's still exercise, and it's real cycling as opposed to trainer riding.

Here's another idea: Shirley Chisholm State Park (https://parks.ny.gov/parks/200/details.aspx). There are a number of gravel roads there and there's some pretty scenery along Jamaica Bay.

Mr. Pink
04-20-2020, 08:54 AM
Weights are awfully hard to find right now. I was lucky to score a pair of twenty pound dumbbells at the start of all this while Dicks was still open, and they, along with some ten pound ankle weights I have from PT sessions, have done the job. Fortunately, it's getting nice and warm out there, so local biking satisfies aerobic needs, but hiking suddenly is difficult because the masses up here have discovered walking in the woods as an activity to relieve their boredom. No rush hours for work, and the 2:30 PM school rush hour now in hibernation certainly makes biking easier, too.

C40_guy
04-20-2020, 09:19 AM
Yoga is a great alternative right now.

Also, you can do a lot of body weight activities, and to turbocharge them, use a Bosu ball.

benb
04-20-2020, 10:09 AM
Yes I think in the short term getting weights is going to be hard, there was a run on all fitness equipment a month ago. I remember going for walks and seeing many houses with boxes from fitness equipment out at the curb the day before trash pickup.

Lots of stuff seems to already have reduced availability and the US based companies like Rogue seem to be doing PPE and trying to help out in other ways rather than keeping their standard thing going.

I wanted to get a pull up bar that I could put in the basement near my weights but went for the gymnastics rings because they were more easily available. They're a more flexible option as well though.. easier to move around and easier to install more different areas. I'm hoping to hang them from the garage truss/joists.

johnmdesigner
04-20-2020, 10:25 AM
There are some pretty good aerobic videos on Youtube with and without weights and 30 to 40 minutes long.
If you are out of shape like me you would be surprised how well these work.
I've been doing it everyday for two weeks now and every fiber of my body is screaming in pain.
Buy a couple of kettle bells and ride your trainer. Save your money for haircuts.

Ken Robb
04-20-2020, 10:33 AM
A couple of weeks before COVID hit we bought a used Waterrower for less than half the price of a new one. They are SO well-built that it looked./worked like new. Leslie has been doing 45 minutes every morning and is VERY pleased with the results.

She told me she was thinking maybe we should buy an exercise bike because she thought it was taking too much time to get to the YMCA and back for a workout. I suggested that a rower would give a more complete workout. Her only objection was that a rower wouldn't allow her to read while using it. True, but she can still listen to music and/or other audio sources on her headphones.

The Waterrower is so quiet that The dogs and I can snooze in the adjacent room while she rows.

One of Les' gal-pals was so impressed by Leslie's report on the rower that she asked me to keep a look-out for one for her. Well, the virus hit and all the used rowers of almost any kind have been snapped up in our area.

C40_guy
04-20-2020, 11:06 AM
Save your money for haircuts.

Buy a trimmer on Amazon (if any are left) and save your haircut money for bike parts.

I was fortunate...I started buzzing myself about a year ago. got tired of walking into hair salons and asking for a number five on the side, six on the top. Figured I could do that myself.

Only made one booboo so far.

Note: If you cut your hair, take off the comb and step into the shower. REPLACE the comb back onto the buzzer before touching up that one spot on the top of your head. Otherwise you'll end up with a surprising amount of hair in the sink and a 6" landing strip on the top of your head.

Don't ask me how I know. :)

William
04-20-2020, 11:15 AM
i maintain that the rowing machine is one of the best workout out there, especially if you practice good form.

Agreed. I also agree that it can be mind numbing for some people. I'll just turn the big screen toward it and put something on while I row. I can also go without and to me it's just and exercise in concentration I learned early on erging in the boathouse...nothing to look at but the wall or the back of another person erging. Concentrate or go crazy!!:eek:;)

They have always held their value even on CL.

W.

Veloo
04-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Years ago I scored a 1st generation Bowflex for $125.
It was on our local classifieds (Kijiji) and seller was close to work so I took a long lunch and grabbed it.

Doubles as a clothes hanger.

C40_guy
04-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Years ago I scored a 1st generation Bowflex for $125.
It was on our local classifieds (Kijiji) and seller was close to work so I took a long lunch and grabbed it.

Doubles as a clothes hanger.

I picked up an Extreme 2 for almost no money, as it had been serving duty as a clothes hanger for the PO. I told him I wasn't quite sure when I'd be able to collect it (60 minute drive), and he offered to drive it to me and set it up. I guess his SO was pretty intent on reclaiming the space.

They are nice units that provide a lot of flexibility. The rods need refreshing once in a while, especially if you're loading a *lot* of laundry on the unit. :)

paredown
04-20-2020, 12:03 PM
We're still rocking a vintage Nordic track XC style--the ones they always used to advertise in the back of the New Yorker.

Low impact, reasonably quiet, and you can put it away if you are disciplined. People used to be giving them away as they aged out--but I haven't looked for a while.

benb
04-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Agreed. I also agree that it can be mind numbing for some people. I'll just turn the big screen toward it and put something on while I row. I can also go without and to me it's just and exercise in concentration I learned early on erging in the boathouse...nothing to look at but the wall or the back of another person erging. Concentrate or go crazy!!:eek:;)

I suspect this is like the issue with people wanting to wear headphones while riding/running.

People who can stare at a wall while they ride the trainer or use the rower with no entertainment are probably the same people who don't need music to ride/run outside.

I have always been one of those people. The last year or two I started watching some videos on the trainer but 99% of my trainer time over the years I just stared at a wall and it was fine. I'm mindful of what I'm doing.

I still find the rower better.

Rollers are more interesting than the trainer.
The Rower is more interesting than the trainer.
Stairmaster is more interesting than the trainer.

All just cause you're still balancing and not locked into fixed movement patterns.

Not sure where I put the treadmill.. treadmills are super weird and I don't like running that much anyway. My wife has a brand new super fancy Nordic Track computerized treadmill with video running classes and such (like Peloton for spin) and I hate it because in the video lessons it changes speed so abruptly that it can put strain on your knees when the treadmill switches from run to walk and surprises you. Also you never go around corners and such on a treadmill.

Eliptical is the most boring of all for me. Locked into a totally bizarre movement pattern that resembles nothing real world.

Really the only reason I have a trainer is specificity of training.. nothing you do indoors is better for bike training really.

C40_guy
04-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Rollers are more interesting than the trainer.

Yea, rollers have that built-in threat of crashing at the slightest twitch of the handlebars. That will keep your attention.

I watched someone cook a couple of fried eggs on rollers recently. Unbelievable.

Oh, and by the way, don't watch motorcycle racing on tv while you're on rollers. You will try to lean into the turns with the racers. And then, well...

bigbill
04-20-2020, 12:54 PM
I have a KICKR and Climb. This year I invested in a Bosu balance trainer, thick Yoga mat, a single 25# kettlebell, and some straps to help me stretch my legs. I did a bunch of deployments so I have the TRX type straps with the attachment that goes over the top of the door. I also have the elastic bands.

I can do a few dozen different exercises.

William
04-20-2020, 01:18 PM
I suspect this is like the issue with people wanting to wear headphones while riding/running.

People who can stare at a wall while they ride the trainer or use the rower with no entertainment are probably the same people who don't need music to ride/run outside.

I have always been one of those people. The last year or two I started watching some videos on the trainer but 99% of my trainer time over the years I just stared at a wall and it was fine. I'm mindful of what I'm doing.

I still find the rower better.....

I can't wear headphones/ear buds when riding or running, or even walking for that matter. I like to be tuned into what's going on around me at all times.

W.

fiamme red
04-20-2020, 03:00 PM

People who can stare at a wall while they ride the trainer or use the rower with no entertainment are probably the same people who don't need music to ride/run outside.I don't know about that. I can ride all day long outdoors with no music, I mean from dawn to dusk and even longer. I don't want the distraction, and besides, it's too dangerous. On the other hand, I do want some kind of visual or aural distraction when I'm riding the stationary bike or doing the Concept2 in my gym.

Mercury1989
01-06-2021, 03:22 PM
I can't wear headphones/ear buds when riding or running, or even walking for that matter. I like to be tuned into what's going on around me at all times.

The same for me. Can't really concentrate while wearing headphones. My ears get tired very fast and start to hurt. And as we talk about fitness equipment I wanna say that I don't have many things in my house. I have a barbell, a couple of dumbbells and a nice skipping rope. The training sessions are usually between 30 min - hour and depends on my mood. I like to wear a rugby kit (https://agamesports.co.uk/rugby-kit/) during training because it is very comfortable. But honestly training at gym is much better because nothing can distract you.

Neil
01-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Between lockdowns 1 and 2 (we're in 3 now) when it looked (ever so briefly) as if the world was going to get back to normal there was some gym equipment available, so I bought a decent bench, two dumb-bells that each adjust between 2-36kg, a really nice chin-up bar that fits into doorways and a good selection of resistance bands.

When we went into 2 I was glad of it, when we went into 3 I was really glad of it.

Peter P.
01-06-2021, 09:28 PM

I have always been one of those people. ... but 99% of my trainer time over the years I just stared at a wall and it was fine.

I'm one of those, too.

I listen to NPR and stare at shelves in my basement.

Trainer or rollers are fine. I have a set of weights (dumbbells and barbell) and no bench. An exercise mat, a thick pad to kneel on when necessary, and a short stool for various exercises. Like Rocky, I make do with what I have.

General69
01-06-2021, 10:18 PM
Kettlebell. Start with a 35 lb and go to town. The swings will give you cardio and the rest will give you strength. 10-15 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Russian simplicity comrade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tuxbailey
01-06-2021, 11:24 PM
Maybe you can consider the bodyweightfitness subreddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/

They have a lot of routines/exercises that one can do with minimum equipment.

They just started a new routine on New Year and it is very easy to get into even if you are a beginner.

jlwdm
01-07-2021, 08:18 AM
I keep one bike permanently on a Kickr and don't get bored as I always watch TV. I will watch football this time of year and watch all of the streaming movies and shows I want to watch with subtitles. The subtitles help me focus.

I just added a Cambridge Audio integrated amp, Dynaudio speakers on stands and a REL subwoofer to the TV to get a better TV experience.

I also have a mat, an exercise ball, a roller and Versatube bands with a wall mount. Not extensive but enough to keep in shape.

Jeff

jmvernon
01-07-2021, 11:41 AM
I have been doing body weight workouts, there is the 7 minute workout where you need no equipment and you can go as hard or easy as you like.

Also I got a cheap $10 jump rope, didn't realize how hard a 10-15 minute jump rope routine would be. Although probably not the greatest if you have bad knees.

GParkes
01-07-2021, 03:52 PM
I purchased a Sole treadmill for my better half. Had never heard of them before, got great reviews, so I pulled the trigger. This was mid-November. Said 30 days before delivery due to demand, holidays, etc. Came in 17 days. Excellent machine. In fact, I found out a local triathlete that recently turned pro, and was an All American x-country runner, has a Sole (next model up.

I was so impressed with product and service, I ordered their rower 3 weeks ago. Said could be up to 45 days due to the above referenced circumstances. Got a call last week to set up delivery for tomorrow - 24 days from order to delivery. While components built in Asia, assembled in Arkansas for QC and shipping.

I couldn't be happier with what I've experienced so far.

William
01-07-2021, 04:09 PM
You don't need a lot of equipement to get a great workout. Lots of bodyweight exercises one can do. Simple tools are also very effective to use. I've been incorporating these into my workouts for a number of years now.

Four pound engineer hammers and a 16 pound sledge. Think Indian club and mace workouts.

W.

Severalun
08-20-2021, 05:36 PM
For me, working out at home sounds like a great alternative to going to the gym. At home, it is always comfortable, cozy, and there are no prying eyes. The effect will indeed be only with regular exercise. And it is better to exercise less, but more often than rarely, but to the point of losing heart rate. The ideal is 3-4 workouts a week for at least 30-40 minutes. Coaches recommend combining cardio workouts, strength exercises, and gymnastics. Recently I came across an interesting article on the site https://www.fitnessbaddies.com/cheap-barbells/, thanks to which I learned that every time you workout was a joy, you should use equipment and accessories for sports that will not empty your purse, will not take up much space in the apartment. And if you ask what the most important thing to have at home, in my opinion, dumbbells should be at home for every sports fan. If you want to lose weight, after the warm-up, immediately start a power workout and then proceed to cardio.

Ewiser
08-21-2021, 08:41 AM
60 inch tv a Wahoo kickr bike and Rouvy. Up to 6000 miles this year.

XXtwindad
08-21-2021, 08:46 AM
I have been doing body weight workouts, there is the 7 minute workout where you need no equipment and you can go as hard or easy as you like.

Also I got a cheap $10 jump rope, didn't realize how hard a 10-15 minute jump rope routine would be. Although probably not the greatest if you have bad knees.

This. I do 100 body weight squats and 100 push-ups 5X per week. It seems obvious, but the best things about “body weight” exercises is that wherever you go…your gym follows you!

Jumping rope is an excellent exercise, but absolute hell on your knees.