PDA

View Full Version : Any downsides to storing a bike vertically?

BdaGhisallo
01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Is there anything I should watch if I was to store my bikes vertically with one of those wallmounted racks? I know that I will have to use a regular rimmed wheel on the front but, other than that, is there anything else to worry about? No ill effects on the bike itself from doing this?

Thanks,
Geoff

dave thompson
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Is there anything I should watch if I was to store my bikes vertically with one of those wallmounted racks? I know that I will have to use a regular rimmed wheel on the front but, other than that, is there anything else to worry about? No ill effects on the bike itself from doing this?

Thanks,
Geoff
Just make sure the device holding the wheel won't be able to scratch it. Other than that, no issues at all.

Too Tall
01-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Hang a small champagne cork from the saddle to collect any good mojo otherwise may slip to the floor and lose it's fizz ;)

Fixed
01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
bro you bump your head ?
cheers

AgilisMerlin
01-17-2007, 10:31 AM
You better ask your bike, some like both wheels firmly on the ground.

my bike and the wifes gave the go ahead to hang vertically.

so we obliged.

my singlespeed wanted to stay on the ground.

:D

amerliN

Louis
01-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, usually the rear wheel.

davids
01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I like the sophisticated (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=191637&postcount=25) approach.

The result is pure class (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=196776&postcount=9)!

gdw
01-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Some mountain bike forks, Manitou Skarebs with lockout, don't like to be stored that way. The oil can migrate into the lockout mechanism and disabling it.

BdaGhisallo
01-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I will only be hanging road bikes and maybe a cross type bike in the future so no need to worry about shock oil.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Geoff

alembical
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Seems post pictures I see show the bike hanging from the rear wheel... why? I have always stored my bikes hanging from the front wheel. The result is that if I then after a wet ride, remove the seat post because of thh angle, the water can drain out the seat tube. Is there something I am missing?

Alembical

davids
01-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Seems post pictures I see show the bike hanging from the rear wheel... why? I have always stored my bikes hanging from the front wheel. The result is that if I then after a wet ride, remove the seat post because of thh angle, the water can drain out the seat tube. Is there something I am missing?

Alembical
I'll hang 'em that way to drain a seat tube, but the normal procedure is to hang 'em from the rear - I just feel better not putting any torque on the headtube/steerer. Probably completely inconsequential, but hey.

catulle
01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
You may need one of these...

manet
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks,
Geoff

glean away:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23643&highlight=wall

shanerpvt
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
watch out for the hydro brakes on your mountain bike - they will not like being stored like this.

catulle
01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
:eek: