PDA

View Full Version : TdF/Covid-19 Strategy

OnceFast
04-19-2020, 12:01 PM
I saw this comment regarding Covid-19 from Greg Van Avermaet on Cyclingnews:

"I have a bit of fear of contamination and prefer to come into contact with as few people as possible,"

I'm sorry, but if I'm planning to ride the TdF, would it not be better to get the Covid-19 prior to the race rather then risk acquiring it during the race?

HenryA
04-19-2020, 01:12 PM
I can’t imagine it would matter.

pbarry
04-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Just time trials this year, no drafting allowed. Top triathletes are entering. ;)

charliedid
04-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Everything is online these days...

It's now cool to spit on your basement floor.

charliedid
04-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Virus Doping

rain dogs
04-19-2020, 02:10 PM
I think it would be best if he didn't get is at all, either prior or during the TdF, no? :confused: And then he could eventually be vaccinated for it when the vaccine is ready.

What would you suggest he do exactly? Ride his bicycle around holding a sign "Will kiss for Covid" and increase the risk that he, his family or others potentially suffer the consequences of getting it?

jemdet
04-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Seemingly healthy young people are dying, or losing limbs, or needing supplemental oxygen after discharge... think he’d prefer to not get it at all

joosttx
04-19-2020, 02:51 PM
They are going to try and do all the 3 major tours back to back in August if possible.

Clean39T
04-19-2020, 02:55 PM

AngryScientist
04-19-2020, 02:59 PM
As i mentioned in another thread, if i'm a rider, i'm hoping the cancel this entirely this year.

everyone's lives are upside down right now, serious training is hard to do with an uncertain target date, and further complicated by various laws by region governing outdoor training. team training non existent.

i have no idea how it would effect the riders who are under contract with respect to pay, benefits, etc, if the season is effectively cancelled, but that angle aside, i personally would rather they just bag it all in 2020 and start fresh next year.

Spdntrxi
04-19-2020, 03:05 PM
No athlete is voluntarily contracting a virus w cardio-pulmonary damage potential.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

speaking of which.. a hand full of athletes in the NBA got and some top end guys in the WT peloton too.. Hopefully they can share some data.

fignon's barber
04-20-2020, 06:43 AM
I was thinking about the logistical feasibility of having the Tour this year after they announced the August 19 start date. They probably won't have fans on the sides of the roads. The whole Tour entourage would need to be contained in a "quarantined envelope". They would need to test everyone daily(riders, staff, race caravan folks, marshalls,etc) , which could be doable with about 20 of those Abbott quickie test machines or a centralized qPCR lab. But what if you get a positive for Covid19? It would be pure turmoil. Cancelled stages, riders sitting down in the middle of the road protesting (like 1998 Tour). The Financial ramifications and PR damage would be huge. If I were ASO, I would pass on the Tour.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2020, 06:57 AM
I saw this comment regarding Covid-19 from Greg Van Avermaet on Cyclingnews:

"I have a bit of fear of contamination and prefer to come into contact with as few people as possible,"

I'm sorry, but if I'm planning to ride the TdF, would it not be better to get the Covid-19 prior to the race rather then risk acquiring it during the race?

Only if you survived it..:eek:

I'll make a prediction, w/o a vaccine..NO GTs this year at all..to resume next year..Like the olympics..

Like fignon's barber said right above..

paulh
04-20-2020, 07:13 AM
Young guy. Strong athlete. Almost didn't make it.
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-man-is-an-ironman-covid-19-nearly-killed-him/569761222/