PDA

View Full Version : An Andy Hampsten story

harlond
04-19-2020, 10:41 AM
On September 8, 2007, I sent Andy an email about buying some olive oil. Never got a reply--or so I thought. On December 13, 2019, twelve years later, I got a reply from Andy:

Hi Chip,

We have new oil in if you are getting hungry. Greeeeen freshness is the descriptor I am going with right now.

If you like you can use our website to order from.
https://www.cinghiale.com/product/extra-virgin-olive-oil/

Ciao, Andy Hampsten

That made me laugh. Anyway, I ordered some olive oil* and asked them to send me a signed copy of Andy's email. If they do, that will make me laugh, too.

*It's olive oil I'm hoarding, not TP.

jpritchet74
04-19-2020, 10:42 AM
That's pretty funny! And awesome!

lavi
04-19-2020, 11:36 AM
I ordered, and received, some of his oil back in the day ("the day" being the time period you reference). Was very good from what I remember.

Tony T
04-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Now I’m interested....
https://www.cinghiale.com/product/extra-virgin-olive-oil/
https://www.cinghiale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/oil.jpg

YesNdeed
04-19-2020, 12:55 PM
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

As an EVOOophyle, 5L@$190 shipped brakes down to $19 per 1/2 liter/normal sized bottle. Which, is in range of what I would expect to pay for an outstanding olive oil. I can't quite justify 10 of them though, even though I use a lot of it. The tin (or bottle) would be a cool collector's item for the biciphyle.

Tony T
04-19-2020, 02:56 PM
I was all set to order, but only the tin is available, too much evoo for me, but if the bottle is ever available, I'm in, and will by a few for presents for the cyclists in my family

Spaghetti Legs
04-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Must be an olive oil business thing. I emailed Dario Cioni, a pro cyclist also in the business around the same time. Never heard back. I’ll check my spam filter.

YesNdeed
04-19-2020, 04:04 PM
I was all set to order, but only the tin is available, too much evoo for me, but if the bottle is ever available, I'm in, and will by a few for presents for the cyclists in my family

Ditto, +1

dumbod
04-19-2020, 04:33 PM
I have ordered it three times. I don't think it's a business as much as it is a passion. If you've ever been on one of his tours, you'll know that he loves cycling but oil and wine are passions.

Really Really good oil - very peppery and this year's batch is very 'grassy'.

It's too expensive to be an basic oil and 5 liters is a lot but somehow we always manage to finish it before it turns. In fact, I had it with my bagel this morning.
You can always break it down and share it with friends. It would make a much better dinner gift than a bottle of wine - depending on the wine of course.

Hawker
04-19-2020, 05:14 PM
OP, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what to think? I hope you like the oil you receive but 12 years seems to be a lengthy turnaround time? However, I've heard things move a bit slower in Europe.

harlond
04-19-2020, 06:03 PM
OP, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what to think? I hope you like the oil you receive but 12 years seems to be a lengthy turnaround time? However, I've heard things move a bit slower in Europe.ATMO, seems like even around here we're used to long waiting lists.

twangston73
04-21-2020, 05:59 PM
We have gone through two of the full tins of this lovely product and are working on a third. It is bright, peppery, delightful - so good you won't begrudge the price or ever think you have too much!

Hikyle2
04-21-2020, 10:40 PM
Is the 5L the only option that's ever available?

Blue Jays
04-21-2020, 11:27 PM
Purchased in the past and absolutely loved it. We cruise through LOTS of EVOO.
I will have to do research now to see how long EVOO will last once opened.
Love the "vintage" email story. Hampsten bicycles are equally terrific, as well. :-)

harlond
04-23-2020, 03:00 PM
I have to make a correction. My email was sent October 2, 2008, not September 2007. So really it was only an 11-year delay in answering.

Anyway, I got my oil today, quite rapid shipping. Haven't tasted it yet, but very much looking forward to it. Many thanks to Andy and Elaine, especially for this:

pncguy
04-23-2020, 03:06 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

bitpuddle
04-24-2020, 03:34 AM
This was an excellent distraction from all the insanity going on. Great story.

hampco
04-24-2020, 11:59 AM
Hampstens never forget!

9tubes
04-24-2020, 12:14 PM
I'll testify on the taste. This year's batch is excellent. Green and peppery.

RJR
04-24-2020, 03:06 PM
I'm a bad person so I keep my Andy Oil in the cupboard and bring out more pedestrian fare for guests.

Tony T
04-24-2020, 03:38 PM
My little Andy :)

Fiertetimestwo
04-25-2020, 02:18 AM
Hampstens never forget!

Not sure that it's true that Hampstens never forget- years ago I ordered this acid green jersey and, being, ahem, a larger cyclist I asked for the biggest one in stock.

Well, a size 7 duly arrived- which fits well by the way- (gotta say it looks better on Andy) along with a great note on the tag saying "Hi, this is as big and beautiful as it gets!, Andy".

Fast forward a few years and I am in Tuscany with Cinghiale (2015) and break out my jersey. Andy says "Wow, that's an old one" and I tell him I still have the tag he wrote on. He didn't remember!

Seriously though, Andy and Elaine were just the best hosts and we had an absolutely brilliant time, especially on the last night of the Tour when Andy brought out some fabulous old wines (Chianti Classico, Bolgheri, Montalcino and several sensational bottles from Barolo) from his personal cellar for us to try.

Going on another Cinghiale tour would be an absolute dream.

harlond
05-02-2020, 05:11 PM
I'll testify on the taste. This year's batch is excellent. Green and peppery.Agreed, opened mine up today, very good, and a bit piquant.