PDA

View Full Version : OT, Opinions of Saab 9-2X

inGobwetrust
01-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I'd like to know your opinions on the Saab 9-2X. Yes, I know it's actually a re-badged Suburu. I need the all-wheel drive and don't want to spend what a comparable Audi would cost. I can get a nice low-mileage 9-2X for about $15k. Are there other cars in the same class that I should be considering?

CNY rider
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Pat what Subaru is the Saab based on?

We've been very satisfied Subaru owners for over a decade. Two that we have owned, one leased for my wife.

Does having the Saab badge on there raise the price over just getting a Subaru?

PS Rode the effin' Wojcik to work today. Zero degrees F at the top of the hill and only got colder as I descended. oofah!

JohnS
01-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Pat what Subaru is the Saab based on?

We've been very satisfied Subaru owners for over a decade. Two that we have owned, one leased for my wife.

Does having the Saab badge on there raise the price over just getting a Subaru?
1. Impreza
2. YES

ti_boi
01-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Cool car...tweaked suspension and trim make it a sweet little ride....SAAB Massaged, but that bullet proof Japanese Heavy Equipment Mfg....drivetrain and AWD rock solid handling....Add a hatch back and you have A WINNER. Drove one as a loaner, it made me smile -- not 'Saab like' but then are the GMified cars that they offer right now? -- apparently looking at the badge will hypnotize you until somehow you will think....Ludafisk.... :cool:

fierte_poser
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I would think the only downside to the SAAB version would be the production numbers are much lower (harder to find some replacement parts down the road) and you'll have to take the car to a SAAB dealer for service rather than to a Subaru dealer for service -- how many 9-2X's does your average SAAB tech work on compared to the number of Impreza's that your average Subaru tech works on.

A couple of years ago, when GM was doing employee pricing, you could get a 9-2X for around ~$6k below MSRP or something ridiculous like that.

Comparable cars (hatch w/ AWD) would be the Toyota Matrix... can't think of any others. I would also look at the BMW 325xiT (wagon). Much better car, similar overall dimensions.

Kent

inGobwetrust
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. A few things I've discovered:

It can be worked on at any Suburu dealership as the parts are totally compatable with the exception of the body panels.

The new prices are a little higher than the comparable Suburus but around here the used prices are actually a bit lower than the Suburu.

It's basicly the WRX wagon with Saab body panels and a little bit of tweaking in the suspension.

dancinkozmo
01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I owned a 2.5i linear for about a year...unfortunately had to sell it..
I think its a fantastic car, handles superbly...its got a pretty stiff suspension, so on rutted dirt roads the ride is really harsh, other than that i loved mine.

MadRocketSci
01-17-2007, 08:27 PM
i've got a 2006 snaabaru. best thing about it is my 56 atlanta fits in the back w/seats folded down without taking off front wheel. No roof rails, but sunroof and leather available. Mostly only cosmetic differences with the impreza, says "Fuji Heavy Industries" under the hood. I hate the saab dealers around here and will be taking my car to an independent subaru mechanic as soon as the 4 year warranty is up.

most people got pretty good deals on this car; for a while you could get an aero (the turbo one) for less than a WRX.

christian
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
It's an Impreza wagon, how can you go wrong? Also, take it to Subaru dealers for work on it.

- Christian

pjm
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Saabaru is prettier than the Subaru. Premium fuel required either way.

PacNW2Ford
01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Saabaru is prettier than the Subaru. Premium fuel required either way.

To clarify, the normally aspirated "Linear" model uses regular unleaded. The turbocharged "Aero" model uses premium.

WRX + Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 winter tires worked great in our "Winter Blast" here in PDX this week. I've owned mine for three years and a trouble-free 31,000 miles.

BarryG
01-19-2007, 07:12 AM
I've put 60K miles on my '02 WRX wagon. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Superb chassis/neutral handling, okay gearbox, engine lacks punch unless you rev it, excellent brakes, gas mileage varies from 20-28 depending on driving (rarely see 28); wish the interior was a big snazzier (nod to Saab), have all the audio upgrades and sound system is just "okay", mediocre AM/FM reception, very comfortable seats, roadbike fits in back with both wheels intact, noise level fair (not overly quiet or loud car), I run REGULAR gas all the time despite whatever anybody says.

It's the ultimate utility vehicle for me, although it lacks the visceral thrill (even at low speed) of the Saab 900SE (service nightmare).

The AWD Subie is no better in the snow than the Saab but handling is much more neutral.

ti_boi
01-19-2007, 09:21 AM
My old Forrester cruised through 3 feet of unplowed Chicago snow one year.....like a powerboat through a lake! Priceless.