PDA

View Full Version : Tubless tire issue

shankldu
04-18-2020, 08:21 PM
So picked up a used rig on the bay ,came.w flat.rear tubless tire ,should i add sealant at the stem or cud i rub some around the bead . I never got the point of the set up ,and dont want to fill the tire up w sealant ,which adds the weight of a race.tube anyway and then when u roll a tire ur really ****ed .

robt57
04-18-2020, 08:30 PM
So picked up a used rig on the bay ,came.w flat.rear tubless tire ,should i add sealant at the stem or cud i rub some around the bead . I never got the point of the set up ,and dont want to fill the tire up w sealant ,which adds the weight of a race.tube anyway and then when u roll a tire ur really ****ed .

IMO, remove both, clean all the old sealant best you can. Internal patch any punctures, mount, add new sealant, and go. If the tires are flat spotted just get new and roll.

fjaws
04-18-2020, 09:04 PM
Why would you rub sealant on the bead? If you don't want to run tubeless, take the tire off, clean everything up and put in your preferred race tube.

Why would you "roll" a clincher tire? Not really clear what it is you're asking.

Hilltopperny
04-19-2020, 05:43 AM
A clincher road tire should only need an ounce or two of sealant. If the tire is seated on the rim then all you have to do is remove the valve core and dump in some sealant then return the valve core and air it up and take it for a spin so the sealant coats the tire. If the tire is already unseated then clean, seat and do the steps above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcxmbfj
04-19-2020, 06:24 AM
Google "tubless setup" for tips to minimize messiness.

Cgeisler
04-19-2020, 08:14 AM
agreed - stans and orange seal both have instructional videos.

nalax
04-19-2020, 08:18 AM
If I was getting a used bike, I'd pull the tires off to see what's in there anyway regardless if it was tubed or tubeless. The tires might have been deflated for shipping or there might be a puncture. You won't know until you check.