PDA

View Full Version : Butt cream?

tch
05-13-2004, 08:13 PM
OK, I know I got you here with the title...but I'm curious. Many of you were very helpful with my question about Assos shorts, so now I have a follow up. Several posters waxed rhapsodic about Assos ass cream. Huh? How/when do you use it? I can imagine that back when chamois were chamois, then something to soften up the leather after washing would be helpful. But (butt), chamois ain't like that anymore. Anyway, what's up? Do you apply it and let it dry? To the chamois? To your own parts? I gotta say that I don't really feature (sorry to have to put it this way) riding around with a slimy butt. Personally that's something I would try to AVOID. Insight?

...I been riding dry for 20 years....

csb
05-13-2004, 08:17 PM
...the container has instructions

bcm119
05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Theres a similar product called chamois "Butt'R", its probably more widely available than Assos cream. On any ride over 50 miles I slather it on the chamois before putting on my shorts. It basically makes the chamois stick to your skin, thus eliminating any friction between chamois and skin. You don't notice it while riding, other than the reduction in chafing on all-day rides. Give it a try, you'll like it. One tip- put alot on, and apply to chamois in two thick lines paralleling either side of the center line of your shorts- this gets it right where your legs are rubbing against your "central areas".

Kevan
05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
acually I owe Mikemets the credit for showing me the error of my ways.

Slather two finger globs on the chamois, towards the edge near leg holes and it will likely do you wonders. I find that the padding is now gone over board and the creme adds enough lubrication so that the finer points of me don't get rubbed off. Slop a liberal amount about the crotch center and off to the sides where the thighs create friction. Be careful sliding the shorts on and try to enjoy those first gooey moments. About 30 seconds later, padding about the house, you won't even notice it.

Now I'm sure my buddy Sans-man will step up to the plate and explain how it is he uses a whole jar for each application. :confused:

Sandy
05-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Silent Serotta Sandy

Roy E. Munson
05-13-2004, 09:18 PM
I never used any kind of cream and suffered for years with saddle sores and other maladies. Started with the Assos Chamois Cream and it's the best purchase I've made in years. I don't even put it on the chamois, just a few slabs on my taint and I'm pain free all year! Unlike other chamois and bag creams, the Assos is kind of medicated so it helps kill bacteria too, I recall. I know others who switched from the Chamois Butt'r and will never go back.

davep
05-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I like Chamois Butt'r on rides >40 miles, and like Roy, I apply to my body so it goes where needed.

Needs Help
05-14-2004, 01:35 AM
If you don't suffer from chaffing, then you don't need anything extra. On the "Lance Chronicles" last week, the camera showed Lance slathering chamois creme on the whole chamois area. He said pros can't afford to get saddle sores, and the stuff he uses cured all his problems. He wouldn't reveal the name of the cream, but he said it was made by a small bicycle manufacturer. Personally, I use Vaseline and spread it all over before sliding into my cycling shorts, and it prevents the chaffing I used to experience on 50+ mile rides.

Too Tall
05-14-2004, 05:53 AM
Assos for the chamois YES!!! Two bums up and a snap!

As long as we are on a roll....Us (former) long distance FREAKS deal with chaffing and thin skin where the sun don't shine and both sides of leg creases. I use a mix of bag balm with some this and that....works great and stays put.

4 parts bag balm
2 parts lotrimin (monostat, a yeast infection cream)
1 part hydrocortisone

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2004, 06:44 AM
. . . but never been able to get over the feeling that this would be really weird feeling, but I will defer to you guys. I can see where having the chamois adhere to your skin so it won’t slide around would be a good thing--pretty much the same as with hiking boots to prevent blisters.

If it works, hey, it works!

BBDave

Kevin
05-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I like both Chamois Buttr and Assos for longer rides.

Kevin

dave thompson
05-14-2004, 07:00 AM
. . . but never been able to get over the feeling that this would be really weird feeling, .....
BBDave
It's only weird when you first put your shorts on. OOoohhhh! Then it's not even noticed.I've ridden 60+ miles with and without butt cream, however I'm less sore with. Bag Balm works very well and it's cheap.

bulliedawg
05-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I use a mix of bag balm with some this and that....works great and stays put.

4 parts bag balm
2 parts lotrimin (monostat, a yeast infection cream)
1 part hydrocortisone

Are we talking bag balm, as in the stuff that dairy farmers use in their cows' teets?

Too Tall
05-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Yep. You will find it is a standard item at your local drug store...infact our "CVS" drug store chain has the big tins in their computerized inventory so alllz I have to do is ask for it and they get this for me in two days....udderwise (hehe) you have to do to Southern States Farm store and they won't sell it to you unless you are wearing overalls and are missing teeth ;)

At Casa Too Tall we put kitty cat stickers on the Nalgene jars that the mixture is stored in. DOH. Sick huh?

Silverthump
05-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Chamois Buttr
Initially tried it on the chamois but find it is better to just put it on the parts.
Great stuff, won't ride with out it.

Climb01742
05-14-2004, 08:39 AM
assos cream is great. another option is called "bodyglide". it comes in a thing like a roll-on deordorant. put it on spots that chafe or rub. i discovered it for running, because in the summer, with sweat and salt that dries, there's chafing too. cycling shops sell it. i've found it works as well as assos cream. and if you're in the belt and suspenders camp, apply both cream and bodyglide...and if you don't slide off your saddle, you'll be all set.

mef
05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
While watching the Lance Chronicles the other night, I noticed that LA was raving about a chamois cream that he uses to prevent saddle sores. He wouldn't devulge the brand (I guess they don't sponser him) but the camera showed the container for a brief second and it was the stuff assos sells.

bostondrunk
05-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Might be worth noting that Lance also spends 4+ hours in the saddle at a time on a daily basis. You may not have the need to slather your entire chamois with the stuff for your typical training ride. I do the same as Roy, apply directly to the areas that need it, not to the shorts.
Another nice thing about the assos stuff is it washes off everything very easily.

Len J
05-14-2004, 03:07 PM
I have a problem with chafing on any ride over 2 hours.

I use Chamois But'r as follows:

1.) Pull Pants slightly above knees.
2.) Spread Knees apart
3.) Roll outside of pants down so Chamois is spread between knees.
4.) Slather on Chamois But'r concentrating on all areas that chaff.
5.) Pull pants up and set pad.

It sounds corney, but it keeps me from getting the cream everwhere.

Len

csb
05-14-2004, 09:48 PM
sure am glad you included #5

Climb01742
05-15-2004, 05:14 AM
some days, #5 is optional. viewer discretion is advised.

Kevin
05-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Damn you Climb, I just went blind again.

Kevin

:fight:

Dekonick
05-16-2004, 04:41 PM
I just dont wear shorts...

I use bag balm - werks fer me butt stinks...hmmm ponder that.

Len J
05-16-2004, 06:26 PM
that readers know what you know......

(Actually, I printed it out and taped i to the bathroom mirror, so I'd remember)

Truth is, I get less chafing when I forget number 5!

LOL

Len