PDA

View Full Version : OT: eBay/Paypal refund help

p nut
04-18-2020, 05:05 PM
I am trying to issue a refund to a buyer on eBay.

Quick rundown:
Item was purchased for $508 (total, including taxes and shipping).
I received $448 in my PayPal account, after taxes and PP fees taken out. (eBay fees yet to be deducted).
I keep no balance in my PayPal account.

I first tried to do this via eBay and it says it cannot process the refund for some reason. (Just gave an error).
I clicked on the transaction in Paypal, hit "Issue Refund". The refund amount is the full $508. I click Issue Refund anyway and it says not enough funds in my account. Huh? Where did tax and PP fees go? Wouldn't that get credited?

Or do I have to issue the full refund, then PP and eBay refunds me after I issue the full refund. So confusing!

Of course, no phone help, and the online message help is non-functional as well.

pooneej
04-18-2020, 05:17 PM
Can't you just cancel the transaction? I dont ebay all that much but I think one time long ago I ddi do that

p nut
04-18-2020, 05:29 PM
That’s the first thing I did. eBay asked if I wanted to proceed with the full refund. Then it gave me an error.

Logged onto PayPal. Tried to issue the refund but it says not enough funds.

paredown
04-18-2020, 05:31 PM
I am trying to issue a refund to a buyer on eBay.

Quick rundown:
Item was purchased for $508 (total, including taxes and shipping).
I received $448 in my PayPal account, after taxes and PP fees taken out. (eBay fees yet to be deducted).
I keep no balance in my PayPal account.

I first tried to do this via eBay and it says it cannot process the refund for some reason. (Just gave an error).
I clicked on the transaction in Paypal, hit "Issue Refund". The refund amount is the full $508. I click Issue Refund anyway and it says not enough funds in my account. Huh? Where did tax and PP fees go? Wouldn't that get credited?

Or do I have to issue the full refund, then PP and eBay refunds me after I issue the full refund. So confusing!

Of course, no phone help, and the online message help is non-functional as well.
When the full refund amount comes up you can adjust to do a partial refund--I figured that out at some point.

When you issue the refund, it should credit you for the Paypal fees (and I believe it is within the eBay return period, it should credit you for their fees, but I'm less certain about this.)

If you haven't shipped yet, the easiest is to cancel the order on the eBay seller's page--that way it refunds full amount to buyer, restores all fees, refunds the tax, and also comes up with an automatic relisting of the item. (Also just figured this out recently--I have had two 'sales" that I have cancelled because the buyers had not thought through what they were buying--and I'd rather nip it in the bud than get stupid feedback...)

Not sure how any of this works if you don't have full amount of cash in your papal account--do you have a backup source on file like a credit card?

muz
04-18-2020, 05:56 PM
PayPal refund policy changed late last year. The fee you paid to PayPal is no longer refundable.

From https://developer.paypal.com/docs/admin/refunds/

If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to process the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

p nut
04-18-2020, 06:06 PM
Reminds me why I hardly ever sell on eBay.

Thanks everyone.

jtakeda
04-18-2020, 06:41 PM
I just had the same issue.

I had to email ebay to have them issue the refund and all fees were credited. back in my case.