PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Michael Brecker

Erik.Lazdins
01-17-2007, 07:05 AM
The world lost an innovater and awe-inspiring saxophonist and musician Saturday.

I had the privilege of seeing Brecker over the years several times.

He will be missed - his last album finished recently should be realeased in the spring.

ergott
01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Oh my g-d, I had no idea! He was one of the modern day greats and I will really miss him.

Fixed
01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
bro we lost two alice coltrane
what these artist leave behind for us is a treasure ,they live on imho
cheers
i remenber going to his and randy's club in nyack in the 70's
i also saw him with dreams and with herbie
cheers

jwprolo
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats sad. I totally missed it. For me it was always Coltrane and Brecker- and always on vinyl so I could slow the cats down an octave to figure out what the hell they were playing.

torquer
01-17-2007, 01:00 PM
The world lost an innovater and awe-inspiring saxophonist and musician Saturday.

and we were aware of his illness; his family had put out a call for possible blood-marrow donors, and my wife was tested as a result. Obviously there was no match, but she's on a donor registry now, so perhaps she can help someone else down the road.

She's no jazz fan, but was impressed at his palmiers when she read the obituary; we should feel honored, she reminded me, that he played the Star Spangled Banner to kick off our little league season (he had some school-age kids) a few years back.

tv_vt
01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Saturday night, I went to see McCoy Tyner in Hanover, NH. Was just a trio, and I kept wishing he had Michael Brecker with him. I love the CD Tyner put out in the late 90's with MB featured on it. Just fantastic. No doubt McCoy did not know of Brecker's passing or he would have said something.

FWIW, the concert was not great. McCoy is showing his age a bit. And I missed his old trio with Avery Sharpe and ...? These guys were a bit ragged (Eric Gravatt on drums and ?? on bass).

He was quite a young pup when he was playing with Trane, since he's 69 now.

MB fans, what CDs of his do you recommend?